Author Topic: FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1956)  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1956)
« on: August 16, 2019, 04:16:36 PM »
Forget that banal Art Wallace teleplay "The House"--this 1956 episode of MATINEE THEATRE seems like the real precursor of Dark Shadows, particularly in the form in which it became wildly popular in 1967-69:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEOl6kaZ8RE&list=WL&index=138&t=138s

Cast includes matinee idol Tom Tryon (who later became a successful novelist), Marshall Thompson, and veteran character actress Helen Wallace as brooding housekeeper Della.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1956)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
You've piqued my curiosity...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 08:11:52 PM »
Another play in the same series... the bizarre story DARK OF THE MOON in which Tryon plays a lustful "Witch-boy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2bGUZoWRz4

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:55:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure I bought that on DVD and only watched the very beginning (which didn't seem to hold very true to Poe), then set aside a few years ago. But if it really is a precursor to "Dark Shadows," I'll give it another try. I was interested in Tryon as an author at the time ("The Other") and was curious about his acting career.

I was disappointed with what I watched of "The House" on youtube, which I only viewed halfway through and wonder if it got any better or more DS-like. It seemed like the holy grail to me years ago when it seemed it would be forever out of reach, and I never saw it at the DS festivals I was able to get to. Since I believe it's on the recent "Dark Shadows - Dan Curtis" DVD, perhaps I should get that DVD for the sake of completion.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 11:27:43 PM »
Hi Philippe, from what I read a few months ago, Art Wallace wrote two versions of "The House." The one that is on the disc is apparently NOT the one that he drew upon when he worked on the early episodes of DS. At least, that is what I recall.

My comments about these "Matinee Theatre" plays being a precursor to DS were somewhat tongue in cheek, though I noticed another person saying they thought the "Dark of the Moon" play foreshadows the style of DS. It's pretty way out.

Best, Gothick