Author Topic: ‘Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark’ Teasers: This Adaptation Sure Looks Spooky  (Read 1237 times)

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
i absolutely loved this book series growing up and i cannot wait to see it. one of my favorite is the one where a woman finds a cat. and it's goofy looking mofo. and at the end it turns out it was a rat with Rabies.

there's one on a different book where a guy is in bed and he sees what looks like two eyes than he muscles up the courage to shoot it and it was his own foot that had the moonlight hitting his toenails. good eh?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The book series is designed to give fun chills and thrills to upper-elementary school children.  They're very popular in the schools I sub in.  Being spooked is fun.  But from the "trailers" - I still call them previews; call me old-fashioned - the movie seems WAY above the level of young children and more in the Conjuring thing designed for an adult audience. 

Some surmise that the decline of DS was because of HoDS.  Parents knew their kids were watching the show by the millions and it was about "spooky stuff" (as my mom called it), but beyond that they had no familiarity with it.  When they accompanied their children to the theater and saw a color-laden, fullblown Hammeresque version of the original Barnabas/Maggie/reincarnated-Josette story with blood, guts, violence and gore, they would not let their kids watch the TV show anymore.  The one's who surmised that said it contributed to the decline in viewership.  Whether or not that's true, that needs to be determined by research.  I know teasers/trailers/previews don't tell the whole story of a film.  But if the scenes in them for SStTitD does show it to be more graphic than the books, it could spell a problem for their popularity.

Gerard

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
i used to call them previews as well but that was before i knew what they were really called, than you have the ones that are on tv which are just called TV spots for example. anyways i'm 40 and i still love these books i may not be a kid anymore sadly, but some books i read back than and i think you have this too we will always love to read,

as for DS well i do think honestly it was the 1st film and it's been awhile since i last saw the trailer for it, but i do think honestly that it was the parents who took their kids to see the film and they said to each other look if the film is like this the tv show must be like this, i wasn't around during DS's Original run i wasn't born until (1978) so it was off the air nearly a decade before i was born.   

but i do think the ratings declined because of that and because parents instead of watching the tv show an saying to each other Gee this isn't as bad as the film was i think that did happen but not enough so it hurt the show and that's why it was cancelled i also think the other reason was cause they really ran out of ideas and were starting to repeat themselves at the end and they've admitted this too. had they never done either film it wouldn't surprise me if the show lasted at least a few years longer. now i dunno if it'd still be on for

example but i doubt it because i do think them running out of ideas would have helped them decide to end the show anyways. but who knows what would have happened had the films not been made ya know?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /