Author Topic: Possible Tarrytown Event In October  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Possible Tarrytown Event In October
« on: July 28, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »
It appears that there is some Dark Shadows related activity coming to Tarrytown the weekend of October 10-13th. The Sleepy Hollow Film Festival is planning a weekend of screenings and activities related to Sleepy Hollow and Halloween. This includes cult actor Jeffrey Combs doing a one man show as Edgar Allen Poe and a live production of Plan Nine From Outer Space featuring Bobcat Goldthwaite.
There is going to be something DS related as well. The announcement was extremely vague but it sounded like a screening of the documentary. This is not being presented by the Dark Shadows Festival. There may be guests with a DS connection but none have been announced as yet.
Tickets for individual events have not been announced as yet. The only prices that have been posted as yet are Gold and Platinum Tickets for the entire weekend's events. Gold tickets are priced at $235.00; platinum tickets are priced at $375.00.
Beyond the budget of many of us.
I know that a lot of this sounds rather vague but the organization's posting is short on specific information. It sounds like a very ambitious event. Let's see if they can pull it off.

sleepyhollowfilmfest.com
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Tarrytown Event In October
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 12:19:32 AM »
Seems like the whole DS annual festivals/conventions have run out of steam.  We original viewers are not getting any younger,  Nor is the cast and anyone else involved with the show.  Twenty years ago, thousands would crowd a hotel in NYC or LA.  Now, for anything, it's a trickle.  I attended my one and only festival/convention in 2008 in Brooklyn.  It was overflowing.  Those glorious days to keep DS alive and thriving are gone.  I blame you-know-who for much of this.  He kept everything locked up and called out his army of lawyers against anyone whom he though would take a nickel away from DCP.  Now, very little in revenue is coming in because the "yungins" know nothing about DS because you-know-who kept them from exposure.  All good things come to an end.  Too bad it was a rat's-butt who helped cause the demise of our beloved series.  Sorry for the rant and rave.

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 04:45:36 AM »
Gradually, a lot of the fan activities that were mainstays of the earlier years went away. There used to filksongs, art and photography contests (with an art room), storyfests where fans worked from an opening paragraph to complete a DS story, panels to discuss DS storylines and probably several other activities that I'm leaving out. The last two activities to fall by the wayside were the costume gala and the skits. The scaling back from a three day weekend to a day and quarter left precious little time for much of anything. Basically, the festival had turned into an autograph line. Not that there is anything wrong with that. That's what Chiller Theatre and most other fan events are. But the festival used to be better. At least it tried to be.
Fans can go once, meet the actors and get their autographs but is their any real incentive to go back and repeat the experience the following year?
And, as more and more fans reach retirement age, the amount of disposable income simply isn't there any more. An expensive weekend, involving an airfare, a hotel stay and other expenses is no longer as affordable as it once was. Some may choose to spend the time with children or grandchildren. Others may well have medical expenses that take top priority.
I have no idea if this event in Tarrytown will happen or not. But at some point, there won't be any more DS events period.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 01:12:42 AM »
Uncle Roger,

As Charles Delaware Tate once observed, “It’s no fun getting old.”

Bob

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 02:47:54 PM »
I attended my one and only festival/convention in 2008 in Brooklyn. 

Gerard
Were there two conventions in 2008? I attended one in LA that year.

I remember the good old days (and yes I'm aware how old that makes me seem) when having two festivals a year was the norm.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »
I remember back in the late 1980's when the Newark and Los Angeles festivals were six weeks apart.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 09:13:53 PM »
It was announced a few days ago on social media that the film festival will screen hoDS.

As for fandom, there's a lot of activity with younger fans on social media. They mostly watch on Decades or Amazon.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 12:38:06 AM »
I don't recall, Doctor, if there was another one in LA that year or not.  If there was, I didn't hear anything about it.

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
KLS has announced that she will be appearing at the event on Saturday and Sunday. There will be a screening of HODS on Sunday afternoon, as well as a behind the scenes video. She will have copies of the Marilyn Ross CDs available for signing as well as her own items. No other DS guests have been announced as yet, other than Jim Pierson.
The only tickets currently available are still the rather expensive weekend passes. Tickets are supposed to be made available for the individual events but no one seems to know when they will be available.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 03:43:16 AM »
Another announcement from KLS. Individual tickets for the Saturday Dark Shadows event will finally go on sale on Monday. They will cost $25 and be available through Ticketmaster. Please bear in mind that Ticketmaster adds on a lot of extra fees that will add to the overall cost.
The only DS related guests announced so far are KLS, Jim Pierson and Mary O'Leary. Mary worked with Frid as part of Clunes Associates.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 05:13:03 AM »
A Shadowgram update says that the ticket prices will be $18 for adults and $13 for children. It also states that tickets will be sold through the Tarrytown festival website but does not mention Ticketmaster.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 06:29:51 PM »
I gather this is the event:

Special Presentation & Screening - Dark Shadows: Behind The Screams w/ House of Dark Shadows (10/12/19)

Interesting how there are three tiers of ticket sales: Premium Members - today, Members - tomorrow, Non-Members - Friday.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 07:11:00 PM »
If DS fans are getting the ticket buying restrictions waved and really can buy tickets beginning today, they're getting a great deal if this is any indication:

Tickets - Access Restricted

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 08:16:07 PM »
In my best Chandler Bing voice: Could this not be any more complicated?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 08:31:56 PM »
I've been following the film festival for details since it was announced. I had considered attending but their lack of information made me make other plans. One word I wouldn't use describing this fest is bargain.

The film fest is currently selling 4 day passes...Platinum for $375  and Gold for $275.  These are the only tickets that gets you admittance to all fest events. Otherwise, the Tarrytown Music Hall is selling individual event tickets a la carte style. With the Dark Shadows event just added, they now have 10 events being charged separately. Priced anywhere from $12 to $25 EACH. The $18 tickets  gets you into HODS showing and  DS panel but that is it. If they do ever get around to selling single day tickets,  I'm sure they will be pricey also.