Author Topic: Possible Tarrytown Event In October  (Read 3586 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Tarrytown Event In October
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 12:47:37 AM »
Marvelous, Doctor and K9. Thank you!

My personal favorite item on your Archive pages is the incredible recording of Jonathan and Lara performing Poe's poem "The Bells" at some DS fan event. Probably tied for that are the early 1980s Shadowcon panels, especially the technical panel and another one that Ron Sproat participated in. The people on the panels actually still remembered specifics of what doing the show was like. It's such a service to fandom that you have made this material available.

Sincerely, Gothick
Thank you for the kind words, Gothick! My personal favorite is the "Genesis of Evil" reading. In it, Frid reads from DS fan fiction and script excerpts from the show. It was great to hear him revisit Barnabas years before the Big Finish production "Night Whispers."

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »
I suppose that is an appropriate thing to have for the event itself, given the nearness to Sleepy Hollow. Though I must admit, the revelation of that surprise is somewhat underwhelming. Here's hoping there is more in store for those who are attending this event!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 08:13:44 PM »
Marvelous, Doctor and K9. Thank you!

My personal favorite item on your Archive pages is the incredible recording of Jonathan and Lara performing Poe's poem "The Bells" at some DS fan event. Probably tied for that are the early 1980s Shadowcon panels, especially the technical panel and another one that Ron Sproat participated in. The people on the panels actually still remembered specifics of what doing the show was like. It's such a service to fandom that you have made this material available.

I believe that JF and LP performance of “The Bells” was recorded at the DS Festval in NYC in 1988.  It was the last event on Sunday afternoon if I can recall correctly after 31 years.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2019, 12:30:37 AM »
I believe that JF and LP performance of “The Bells” was recorded at the DS Festval in NYC in 1988.  It was the last event on Sunday afternoon if I can recall correctly after 31 years.

I'm not sure of the date, but that sounds about right. You are definitely correct about the reading being the last event.  It was quite a climax.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #429 / Re: Possible Tarrytown Event In October
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2019, 04:28:48 AM »
SHADOWGRAM UPDATE  # 429
Saturday, October 5, 2019

--MORE DETAILS FOR SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12 SPECIAL DARK SHADOWS EVENT AT SLEEPY HOLLOW FILM FESTIVAL  IN TARRYTOWN, NEW YORK

TICKETS ON SALE FOR SPECIAL DARK SHADOWS EVENT AT SLEEPY HOLLOW FILM FESTIVAL - SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12, IN TARRYTOWN, NEW YORK
As reported in recent editions of ShadowGram Update, there will be a special DARK SHADOWS Afternoon at the upcoming Sleepy Hollow International Film Festival in Tarrytown, New York, which takes place October 10 -13 with a variety of screenings, discussions, signings, an awards presentation, and dinner, plus other special events.
On Saturday, October 12, the Dark Shadows activities begin at 1:00 p.m. with a rare, restored, high-definition big movie screen presentation of "House of Dark Shadows" at the historic Tarrytown Music Hall in the town village. This will be followed by an exclusive new "Dark Shadows Behind The Screams" presentation that will include hundreds of images, many never-before-seen, taken during the production of the 1970 and 1971 films "House of Dark Shadows" and "Night of Dark Shadows," filmed in Tarrytown and the vicinity.
DS actress/author Kathryn Leigh Scott will then take the stage at 3:00 p.m. for a discussion/ question-and-answer session with "Master of Dark Shadows" producer Jim Pierson and Jonathan Frid's business partner/producer Mary O'Leary.
Another special, surprise video will be show along with a DS premiere video and debut details of an exciting new project.  A variety of DS merchandise will also be available.
At 12 noon in the theatre lobby, before the DS screenings and discussions, Kathryn will be autographing a variety of DS-related books and photographs in addition to compact disc copies of the newly-reissued audio books of the vintage Marilyn Ross DS novels originally published as paperbacks in the 1960s and 1970s. Autographs will also be signed following the on stage activities.
Tickets for the Dark Shadows Saturday-only portion of the Sleepy Hollow International Film Festival are $18.00 for adults and $13.00 for children age 13 and under.  Tickets may be purchased online directly from the Tarrytown Music Hall ticket link site at https://tickets.tarrytownmusichall.org/eventperformances.asp?evt=2345or from the film festival website www.sleepyhollowfilmfest.com
Tickets may also be purchased at the door at the Tarrytown Music Hall on the day of the Dark Shadows Saturday event.
Although the film festival does not have an official host hotel, recommended nearby hotels in Tarrytown and the vicinity include the Doubletree Tarrytown - www.doubletree.com - Sheraton Tarrytown -www.sheraton.com - Marriott Westchester - www.marriot.com - and the Tarrytown House & Estates bed and breakfast - www.tarrytownestatehouse.com -  which is an appropriately historical location.
Other highlights of the film festival include a "Planet of the Apes"-themed documentary called "Making At Apes" and a conversation with the director, following the DS Saturday afternoon event at the Tarrytown Music Hall. On Sunday at the same location, the Walt Disney Company will present a 70th anniversary of their animated classic "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow."
For further details, visit the festival website
During the film festival weekend, DS fans on their own and in groups of friends may also visit the historic Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, which was seen in "House of Dark Shadows" as well as the nearby Lyndhurst Estate, which served as "Collinwood" in both "House" and "Night of DS" films. These locations are only 5 minutes from the Tarrytown village where the DS Saturday activities will take place.

[For the Tarrytown B&B try instead: https://www.tarrytownhouseestate.com/ --Midnite]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #429 / Re: Possible Tarrytown Event In October
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2019, 04:35:33 PM »
Quote from: ShadowGram
Another special, surprise video will be show along with a DS premiere video and debut details of an exciting new project.  A variety of DS merchandise will also be available.

The videos have piqued my interest. And assumably the "exciting new project" is the potential new CW DS. But hopefully the "debut details" will go further than simply that Mark Perry is writing the script...

Thanks for sharing the update, Midnite.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2019, 03:45:44 AM »
I never thought to hear Jonathan and Lara doing "The Bells".  What a treat that Doctor and K9 had it in their archive!!  Many thanks!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
I haven't searched Twitter for any DS-related tweets since the Depp/DS film was in production. But it suddenly dawned on me today that perhaps people had tweeted about this event. However, tweets seem to have been few and far between. Though a man did tweet this nice photos of his wife with KLS:

https://twitter.com/Mark_M_Reid/status/1183224795242074112

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »
I realize that this was the first Tarrytown film festival but it really could have been planned better. There are a lot of Halloween related events going on in October, some of which have been going on for years. A festival might have brought in more fans but it would have needed more guests. KLS was not enough of an incentive. Unless they thought that people would show up to see Jim Pierson. Yeah, right.
The unavailability of tickets for the DS event for the longest time could not have helped. And I think that most fans have gotten hip to the first time ever super secret announcement language that turns out to be hype.
I only know of a couple of people who actually went but they have not posted much about it. Maybe Shadowgram will have more information.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »
If you'd like to own a copy of the poster for the event:

House of Dark Shadows Posters and Art Prints

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2019, 01:37:13 AM »
I realize that this was the first Tarrytown film festival but it really could have been planned better. There are a lot of Halloween related events going on in October, some of which have been going on for years. A festival might have brought in more fans but it would have needed more guests. KLS was not enough of an incentive. Unless they thought that people would show up to see Jim Pierson. Yeah, right.
The unavailability of tickets for the DS event for the longest time could not have helped. And I think that most fans have gotten hip to the first time ever super secret announcement language that turns out to be hype.
I only know of a couple of people who actually went but they have not posted much about it. Maybe Shadowgram will have more information.

Like I posted before, it appears the day of annual DS fests that drew in thousands is now over.  Who's to blame for that?  You-know-who  And for the few DS fans who wanted to attend have "the unavailability of tickets" to whatever DS thing they had.  Where was it held?  In a janitor's closet? 

Gerard