Author Topic: The Peril of Barnabas Collins Audio Book  (Read 692 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: The Peril of Barnabas Collins Audio Book
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 09:20:43 PM »
For some reason, this book arrived before Barnabas Collins Vs. the Warlock. This is odd, because I got a notice from Amazon that book 11 was supposed to arrive on Friday or Saturday of last week.

I've been listening to them all. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but KLS seems to be putting a bit more gusto into The Phantom and Barnabas Collins. That book is the first of 3 to feature Maggie as the heroine. I'm only on Chapter One, but it seemed to me that she was a bit more inspired by that novel.

I'm enjoying the books for what they are, pulp quality reinterpretations of DS. They are nostalgic, since the books essentially were my first real introduction to DS. I'd stolen a few glimpses of some isolated scenes in the '60s, but I had no meaningful exposure to the series.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 01:25:40 AM »
I’m in chapter 4 of “Victoria Winters.” It took a while to get through the first book, but as I started to get used to KLS’s style, listening was more appealing to me. Not much happens in the first DS book (and I suspect I will find that true of most of them—of course, when I was 13 I didn’t notice such things.)

Anyway, I’m going to listen to them in order. They are a nice, relaxing change from the Stephen King books I have been listening to.

And “The Peril of Barnabas Collins” was the first DS book I read.

Brian

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 04:32:32 AM »
My first book Was The Mystery of Collinwood followed by Barnabas, Quentin, and the Body Snatchers. This was 1976 and my best friend found a bunch of the books on his mom's shelf. Channel 56 out of Boston was running the show late night. I started watching when my mother would let me stay up on Friday nights.

Living in Newport, we heard the show had been filmed there. We had no idea where the house was. A guy told Jim where it was. Based on a picture from a Gold Key comic, he directed us to THE WRONG HOUSE on Ocean Drive. I'd only seen the show a couple of times and the picture was so snowy. We took photos of some random house and thought that was Collinwood for a few weeks. To be fair, it did look a bit like the house as drawn in the issue of the comic that featured an owl on the cover, #28.