Author Topic: Marilyn Ross Books on CD. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Marilyn Ross Books on CD. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »
More news. It says here that KLS is the reader. And there's a link to listen to a free sample (I haven't checked that out yet).

http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2019/06/here-today-gone-today.html

The "temporarily out of stock" thing he say might mean that the production/distribution has been at least somewhat delayed, though at the end, it switched to "shipping."

G.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 06:09:27 PM »
The first two books are available for download on Audible.  I'll hold off a few days to see if anyone offers reviews, though.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »
I think that's smart, Brian.

The only way I could enjoy this is if somebody found a recording of Grayson Hall reading one of the books, perhaps while sipping a cocktail and making various "observations" about everything from the prose "style" of the author to the inanities of the various personalities in the "book."

Otherwise it would be a slow walk through aitch ee double hockey sticks for this fan.

Best, G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 10:29:54 PM »
I give KLS due credit... she infused life, luster and wit into very tired prose. The excerpt has her reading
 aloud a scene that, in a revised form, will be familiar to viewers of our show. It is one in which KLS herself was one of the players.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 05:22:14 PM »
I do remember at one of the early Festivals, two fans did a staged reading from the Ross books. They were totally serious. I don't think that I lasted only a few minutes. I could only repress my giggling for so long.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
After almost 2 years listening to audiobooks, I’ve gotten very particular about my likes and dislikes for narrators. I like to hear character voices in dialogue to help me distinguish one character from another, but I don’t like those to be over the top, either. I’m even annoyed when the narrator takes frequent, audible breasts—even though I know we all have to breathe in order to speak.:)

The samples by KLS do sound pretty good, and I will probably buy these soon. Right now I have three different books going on, so these can wait a few weeks.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 11:55:50 AM »
Apparently they will be doing the entire series, all read by Kathryn, with releases planned well into 2020.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2019, 10:16:53 PM »
What an ambitious project. And I do have to say that Ms. Scott does a very good job reading the text, at least in the excerpt that I listened to. She actually makes it quite listenable.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »
KLS posted this on her Facebook page, regarding the Ross books: "Almost all are told from Maggie's point of view, as governess at Collinwood and companion to Elizabeth, who befriends and grows to love Barnabas."
It's been years since I read any of the books but Maggie only makes a brief cameo appearance, in her Eve Arden version, in the first book and is not seen or mentioned again in the series for quite some time. The focal character for the first group of the books is Victoria Winters. Until she simply vanishes without a trace and no one seems to even notice that she's gone. The next book has Maggie Evans as the governess, again with no explanation. Did Paperback Library simply change the name from Victoria Winters to Maggie Evans before the book went to the printer? Maggie is the designated heroine for another chunk of books, until she too disappears with no explanation.
I don't recall any real romance between Barnabas and Maggie or Barnabas and Victoria, for that matter. Vicki had a running romance with Ernest Collins, a cousin that Ross introduced in the first book. Ernest was supposed to have died off page in a plane crash. Similar to Burke Devlin, who was still alive in the books until he too simply stopped appearing.
The only ongoing romantic relationship that Ross seemed invested in was between Barnabas and Carolyn in some of the later books. There was never any hint of that in the series, other than him using Carolyn as a blood source/flunky. But even as a kid, I found the quasi incest angle just yukky.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 03:26:05 PM »
How in the world are they going to be told from Maggie's POV? Though why am I not surprised...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2019, 03:01:20 AM »
That's pretty funny. I can only imagine that Kathryn has never read any of the books and simply prepares each one shortly in advance of the recording, the way she would handle any similar voicework assignment.

Perhaps what she was trying to say was that for fans, since she will be doing the readings--and doing them, judging from the one excerpt I heard, with considerable flair and liveliness--this will have the effect of the stories being narrated from Maggie's point of view. Or at least, that is how she presumes a classic DS fan would hear her performances.That would kind of make sense and I can see her thinking something like that.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 04:18:25 AM »
According to a friend, Miss Scott's recording of Barnabas Collins is now available. So they are moving right along with this series.

G.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2019, 05:29:55 PM »
I just checked Audible and Strangers at Collins House and The Mystery of Collinwood are available (release date was 07/0 26/19). I’ve only listened to the first three chapters of Dark Shadows.  It is a slog, not through any fault of KLS (although I would like more variety in her voice when she is reading quotes by different characters, that is my preference only).  The material is just not very good.

Brian

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2019, 10:18:41 PM »
My friend posted a photo of himself holding a CD of the Barnabas Collins recording. I do not know if he got hold of a pre-release, or if the discs are coming out in advance of the online drop. I don't really have the interest to try and find out.

As I have commented frequently, the cover photos were the best part of those "books" for me. It was nice to see in my friend's photo that the disc art featured what seemed to be a decent color scan of the 1968 book cover.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2019, 02:21:19 PM »
Apparently the Barnabas Collins Audiobook is available on eBay:

Barnabas Collins (Dark Shadows) (Audio CD – Audiobook, MP3 Audio) (2019)

And there is a photo of the CD's cover, which is not actually the original coverof the book, though it is the same photo...