Author Topic: DS Documentary announced  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS Documentary announced
« on: January 19, 2019, 06:08:50 AM »
Spring release of Master of Dark Shadows by MPI

Dark Shadows Documentary Narrated by Ian McShane Announced

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS Documentary announced
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 06:06:42 PM »
The webpage link caused my computer to freeze and even the task manager wouldn't work ... is there information about this documentary anywhere else?   [snow_rolleyes] Thanks!  [snow_cheesy]
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »
I was searching for something else and came upon information about the documentary in a Shadowgram update, here: http://dsboards.com/SMF/index.php?topic=82150.msg347047#msg347047, thanks. This sounds like a promising, quality production - I will watch for the DVD.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:30:49 PM »
Some of the names mentioned make me think this will be a very well-made film that will be well worth the wait!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 03:39:04 AM »
It's interesting that this article seems to think Ian McShane hasn't narrated the documentary yet even though he did so months ago:

DEVELOPMENT: IAN MCSHANE BITING INTO DARK SHADOWS DOC;

But at the same time it's great to see that news about the doc is getting out...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:00:17 PM »
The DS documentary has even made it to the Entertainment Weekly Web site:

Dark Shadows documentary to be narrated by Ian McShane

Though it would have been nice had they spelled Barnabas and particularly David Henesy's name correctly.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #413: DS Documentary Event in NYC
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 03:34:57 AM »
SHADOWGRAM UPDATE NUMBER 413
SUNDAY, JANUARY 20, 2019

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

***** DARK SHADOWS DOCUMENTARY FILM PREMIERE & DS GUESTS EVENT - NEW YORK CITY -APRIL 13, 2019

Recent SHADOWGRAM UPDATES announced and reported about “MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS.” This new full-length documentary film traces the history – 50+ years – of DARK SHADOWS and the career of its creator/executive producer Dan Curtis.

The film will debut in a special premiere screening in Manhattan (NYC) on Saturday, April 13. The afternoon and evening event also will feature DARK SHADOWS guest appearances - including actors and production personnel, discussions, autograph signing/photo opportunities, a variety of DARK SHADOWS items for purchase, prizes, and an optional dinner gathering for fans and the DARK SHADOWS guests.

This feature-length documentary is narrated by actor Ian McShane, who appeared in Curtis' monumental production of War and Remembrance. It presents rare footage as well as commentary from numerous DARK SHADOWS cast and crew members, network and production personnel, television historians, and others.

SHADOWGRAM UPDATES will announce the location and other confirmed details shortly. The UPDATES also will report further information as available.

Previously, a "sneak-peek" preview of the documentary was held in Los Angeles on Oct. 20, 2018 on the evening of the Hollywood Celebrity Autograph Show, in which several DS personnel participated. (See recent SG Updates).

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »
thanks for the news, ya know i was thinking about blu-ray i assume this will at some point make it to blu-ray do ya think the show will? i'd say no but than i heard the same thing about classic Doctor who. anyways

i can't wait to see this and i for one plan on buying it

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:23:41 PM »
Though it would have been nice had they spelled Barnabas and particularly David Henesy's name correctly.

This is interesting - today I received a second Google Alert to EW's article about the documentary. Curious as to why, I clicked the link and discovered that not only is Barnabas now spelled correctly in the article but the reference to David Henesy and several other DS stars has been completely removed.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:34 PM »
thanks for the news, ya know i was thinking about blu-ray i assume this will at some point make it to blu-ray do ya think the show will? i'd say no but than i heard the same thing about classic Doctor who. anyways

i can't wait to see this and i for one plan on buying it
Would DS benefit from a blu-ray release? It's all videotape, and I would think that the DVD was able to preserve the recordings perfectly. When I compare them to the VHS releases, there doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade.

Doctor Who was also mostly videotaped. They did use film for location shooting. When I compare the DVD with blu-ray, I don't see much, if any, upgraded quality.

I doubt I'd invest in blu-ray for DS or replace any Doctor Who in that format.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 02:44:21 AM »
i am a big doctor who fan and i don't have a 4K tv and even if i did i can't tell like most people can by the quality of a picture most of the time, but many on the doctor who fan site i belong to who can see that type of thing do notice that the blu-ray's of the classic show does look better than the dvd's.

the only story that they shot on film was Spearhead from Space the 1st story for Season 7 and also their 1st color episodes as well. anyways my point is i read on that site for years how bad it would look on blu-ray when they would talk about it, and now they are putting it on blu-ray by hte season actually. fast forward a page on blu-ray.com having a DS page for Blu-ray.com  with no release date no joke. it made me wonder what it would look like? and to be honest there are still only 3 volumes i need to get so having to re-buy the show yet again for blu-ray isn't something i'm excited about if it happens. but it did get me curious if it was possible.

sorry for going off topic by the way i was just curious that's all, back on topic that is odd how they removed that

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 03:56:44 AM »
The BBC has actually spent money doing picture upgrades for certain vintage WHO shows. And the results were phenomenal, judging from some DVDs of the 1960s shows I saw around 9 or 10 years ago.

Nobody is going to spend money like that on DS. There's far too much of it, and unlike Dr Who, DS isn't big business. At least with the Decades broadcasts it is sort of back on regular TV again so people who don't buy DVDs can see it. Somebody I know who watched religiously back in the late Sixties has been watching again on Decades. He commented on social media how mesmerizing it is even when he can't help noticing all the production gaffes.

Best, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 04:11:01 AM »
Somebody I know who watched religiously back in the late Sixties has been watching again on Decades. He commented on social media how mesmerizing it is even when he can't help noticing all the production gaffes.

That's really great.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 06:58:29 PM »
This article states that the disc will contain "more than an hour" of extras, including something they're calling a DS "set visit"--I presume this means material related to the production of the 1960s series.

No mention of the 2004 pilot being included, so perhaps that is going to be held for some possible later release--who knows.

http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2019/01/heres-your-first-look-at-art-for-master.html

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 07:20:03 PM »
No mention of the 2004 pilot being included, so perhaps that is going to be held for some possible later release--who knows.

"Who knows" is exactly the way to put it.  [snow_rolleyes]

Thanks for the link to the update, Gothick.  [snow_smiley]