Author Topic: Retro Fan Issue #18, Somewhat Off Topic  (Read 404 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Retro Fan Issue #18, Somewhat Off Topic
« on: February 07, 2022, 06:56:32 PM »
The January 2022 issue of Retro Fan, with Barbara Eden on the cover, is currently available at Barnes and Noble. No feedback from the earlier issue with Lara Parker but there is some DS content in the issue.

There's a lighthearted piece about celebrity crushes, where a woman recalls her adolescent fixation on Barnabas Collins, through the gum cards and comic books. Her other crushes include George Harrison, Cousin Itt and The Banana Man from Captain Kangaroo. I wonder if she's still single.

There is also an extremely good article about the Roy Thinnes series The Invaders. The series started off with a bang but very quickly burnt out after two abbreviated seasons and a mere 43 episodes. The show had a great premise. Aliens from an unspecified planet had landed on Earth, had somehow taken human form and were plotting to, of course, take over the planet. David Vincent, as played by Thinnes, somehow stumbled onto the aliens and would thwart their plans on a weekly basis. The premise was also a limited one that didn't allow for much variation. The aliens would come up with a scheme. Vincent would put an end to it. Some of the aliens would be killed off but there would be another nefarious plan next week. They would try to discredit Vincent but to no avail. But Vincent could never really convince most people that there had been an invasion. He would have occasional allies but not very many continuing characters. And a move to a 10pm time slot didn't help matters.
Another DS connection: one of the episodes was written by Art Wallace.

There are other good articles in the issue, including the feature story on Barbara Eden, who still manages to be amazingly perky at 90. It's definitely a good read, though the $9.95 price tag may put off some readers.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Fan Issue #18, Somewhat Off Topic
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 07:09:37 PM »
Cousin Itt?!  [snow_strange] [snow_silly]

It's definitely a good read, though the $9.95 price tag may put off some readers.

Though if the B&N has a cafe, there's always a cup of coffee, a cookie/pastry, and a read at a table. That way you're at least spending some money and not cheating them completely.  [snow_wink] [snow_cheesy]

Speaking of B&N, I just found out the other day that my favorite B&N is closing soon because a developer bought the plaza they're in and wants to demolish everything there and rebuild. No word if the B&N will be moving to a new location or opening a new store in the same location. But at least it's not the only B&N in the area...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 08:01:41 PM »
Cousin Itt?!  [snow_strange] [snow_silly]

Perhaps she likes them altogether ooky??  [snow_wink] [snow_wink] [snow_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 09:13:28 PM »
Perhaps she likes them altogether ooky??  [snow_wink] [snow_wink] [snow_wink]

Not to mention petite!  [snow_laugh]

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 09:43:11 PM »
M B, I wouldn't hold my breath that your fav Barnes and Noble will relocate. We had 2 stores in Orlando which closed over the past year that pretty much said the same thing ...lost their lease and looking to relocate. So far neither one has and we are down to 2 stores left. I think B and N is downsizing number of locations and waiting for leases to expire to do so like Sears has done. Hopefully not with the same result. ( We still have 1 Sears left in Orlando but I understand they are down to like 20 locations in the entire country. Pretty stunning downfall.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 10:32:08 PM »
Oh, I'm not holding my breath. And it's not that anyone at the store has said that they hope to relocate - that was purely my hope. Though I'm lucky in that there are four B&N locations in my area, so it's just that we'll be down to three. Some other areas are nowhere near as lucky to still have that many...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 05:50:11 PM »
Guess where I am and what I'm doing?  [snow_wink]

That Invaders article IS quite nice...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 07:55:57 PM »
I figured that you'd probably enjoy The Invaders piece, MB. Retro Fan seems to run DS related articles on a fairly regular basis. I may have to back order the issue with the David Selby interview, as I don't think that my Barnes and Noble carried it at the time.

And how did they exclude TLATKLS??? The wrath of Pomegranate may be unleashed upon them.  [snow_wink] [snow_wink] [snow_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 05:28:06 PM »
The B&N in my region became more of a toy store than a book store (slight exaggeration) apparently to attract a different clientele ... but my interests diverge so much anyway that I have to order most books that I want; at least the coffee shop is the same. This is even more off-topic, but someone might be interested in a magazine from Little Shoppe of Horrors that came out a couple of years ago (sorry, just recently discovered it) entirely on the TV movie from 1973, "Frankenstein: The True Story." Don Bachardy mentions in an interview that neither he nor Christopher Isherwood cared for the Mary Shelley novel, so they did their own thing when they wrote their screenplay. In spite of that, it's one of the best produced and original Frankenstein adaptations out there, and with a stellar cast. I started watching the Dan Curtis "Frankenstein" once years ago but thought it was awful and didn't watch much of it.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 06:08:26 PM »
Yes, I agree, Philippe - that version of Frankenstein is quite good. But I would warn anyone who might be interested in watching it to skip the version that shows up on TV from time to time because it's heavily edited. The original TV showing was in two hour installments over two nights, but the current TV version has edited it down to one three hour (counting commercials) version, so an hour (or maybe even more for added commercials) has been cut. You're much better off tracking down the DVD, which seems to still be available at Amazon and elsewhere. I doubt you'll be sorry to buy it because it can be easily found for anywhere between $6 and $8. There are more expensive versions out there, but it looks like they're the exact same release...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 01:17:21 PM »
I was fortunate to have discovered the DVD release of "Frankenstein: The True Story" when it came out a few years ago, and I believe a different company released it recently in Blu-ray and a side-by-side comparison apparently shows better color on the Blu-ray, but the running time is exactly the same. Sadly, the prologue of the original script was filmed but lost when the film's producers axed it and substituted an "introduction" to the film by James Mason in front of a fake gravestone of Mary Shelley (although you wouldn't know it) and which shows spoiler scenes from the rest of the movie, a really dumb idea. The original prologue used the actors to portray Mary Wollestonecraft (not yet married to Shelley), Percy Shelley, Lord Byron, and Dr. Polidori lakeside in Geneva during that fateful summer, setting up some of the themes of the film. I recently re-watched this after several years and enjoyed it as much as ever. Agnes Moorhead is so good in her small role, no surprise there, and you have Jane Seymour in a very catty and creepy role, the late Michael Sarrazin, Leonard Whiting ("Romeo and Juliet") etc. The Little Shoppe of Horrors magazine covers every conceivable aspect of the filming and includes the brief passages from the original script that were accidentally omitted from the Bantam book screenplay (I somehow still have my copy from 1973!) that were never filmed. The only thing I was still curious about that wasn't detailed in the magazine (still available to order from the publisher) was the two young Chinese helpers of Dr Polidori. Apparently they disappeared from acting rather quickly. For those with LGBTQ interests, the magazine features a lot on that aspect of the film. My apologies for going so far O.T.!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 04:20:25 PM »
I'm almost as guilty as you of going OT about Frankenstein: The True Story so I wouldn't worry about it.  [snow_wink]  Plus you've shared some interesting info.

And if we can go off just a bit more, I remember Jane Seymour making quite an impression on me when I first watched the film (though not as big an impression as she would when I watched Somehwere in Time) and [spoiler]even though her character pretty much deserves her fate, it is still surprising and shocking!  [snow_shocked]  I distinctly recall the incident as if I'd just watched it today.[/spoiler]