Author Topic: 1890 Ghost Story “Turn of the Screw” Gets Modern Adaptation  (Read 482 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
1890 Ghost Story “Turn of the Screw” Gets Modern Adaptation
« on: December 18, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
1890 Ghost Story “Turn of the Screw” Gets Modern Adaptation

The article refers to DS' own adaptation...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: 1890 Ghost Story “Turn of the Screw” Gets Modern Adaptation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:01:19 AM »
I might've mentioned this here before, but I don't remember.  When I and friends were in late high school and early college, we formed our own "troupe" to put on plays just for the fun of it.  We did things like The Miracle Worker, Arsenic and Old Lace (I played the character originally played on stage by Boris Karloff that was later performed, in a revival, by none other than Jonathan Frid), and we did the play version of The Turn of the Screw - The Innocents which was made into a classic motion picture starring Deborah Kerr.  I worked in our public library at that time and it had a collection of films on reel, and one of them was The Innocents.  This was long, long, long before such things as betamax, video, etc.  I checked it out, we borrowed a projector from out local college, and watched it to find a basis for our staged version.  Like with all the other plays we did, we used the funds we raised from a previous production, purchased or rented what we needed, and designed the whole atmosphere in grays, black-and-white, and used special lighting to cast long, dark shadows.  Fortunately, two of our cast mates were teensy enough to play the two children.  I got to play Quint.  Because I had no lines, I actually had the most difficult role in which I was cast - I had to use "presence" to bring about an atmosphere of menace and fear. 

Those were fun days and I miss them.  Oh, and I got to play Helen Keller's father.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: 1890 Ghost Story “Turn of the Screw” Gets Modern Adaptation
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 02:04:26 AM »
I don't believe I've heard of, "The Originals", which surprises me.

A poster on that site stated the thought of 'modernizing' it made her flesh crawl.

If it's going to be modernized AND put on Freeform, I sort of agree.

If it were modernized and made for cable or TCM, I'd be interested.

Next time someone sees, "The Originals" on TV, can you give me a hollar?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!