Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #410 - DC Tribute at NY Paley Center; KLS music vid; Lyndhurst  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
[Sometimes I receive these in my mailbox and sometimes not.  This one comes from Facebook.]

ShadowGram (SG) Official Dark Shadows (DS) News Online Update # 410
Sunday, October 21, 2018
**** Dan Curtis: Old School/New School Special Tribute & Video Highlight Retrospective
**** New DS-inspired music video starring Kathryn Leigh Scott in the role of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.
**** HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS on TCM
**** Discovery of the Long-Lost Lyndhurst Garden Film

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

**** DAN CURTIS: OLD SCHOOL/NEW SCHOOL: Special Tribute & Video Highlight Retrospective Honoring the DS Creator & Producer-Director of Classic TV & Film Horror/Gothic Romance
Thursday. Oct. 25, 2018 from 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
The Paley Center for Media, 25 W 52nd St., New York, NY 10019
Host by Paley curator David Bushman
Including discussion with Dan Curtis Productions' Jim Pierson
Admission: $12 advance / $15 door

Description: In the early 1970s, just before Hollywood auteurs like Wes Craven and John Carpenter invented the modern horror film . . . producer/director Dan Curtis dominated television horror with a series of programs reinterpreting traditional genre tropes . . . Curtis had earlier built his reputation as a purveyor of a different kind of horror – first with the Gothic-turned-supernatural daytime soap Dark Shadows (1966 to 1971) and then with a series of TV movies and specials airing between 1968 and 1975, including The Night Stalker, The Night Strangler, Trilogy of Terror, and adaptations of such classic monster tales as Dracula, Frankenstein, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Turn of the Screw, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
Knowingly or not, Curtis . . . tapped into the zeitgeist of the time – the turbulent sixties, the paranoid seventies – by imbuing classical, literal monsters with human dimensions, beginning with Dark Shadows, whose conflicted, Hamlet-esque vampire, Barnabas Collins, spoke to the outlaw culture of the late sixties. . . With The Night Stalker (1972), scripted by horror legend Richard Matheson (I Am Legend, The Twilight Zone), Curtis once again turned to the classic creature of the night, in this case a vampire terrorizing young women on the streets of Las Vegas, but, in the age of Watergate, stirred in a political cover-up, foreshadowing a rash of literary and cinematic paranoid thrillers. . .
Join us as we explore these and other titles in Curtis’s horror oeuvre, exploring his thematic and aesthetic preoccupations, his evocation of the times, his own influences, and his influence on the men and women who have followed in his footsteps. . .

A preview of the upcoming documentary release Master of Dark Shadows will also be featured.

https://www.miskatonicinstitute.com/events/dan-curtis-old-schoolnew-school-nyc/?fbclid=IwAR0zl-G6VH-KsJSCivKhYb7JW0sXToDQNlonr8hB8_jOwD-QbQjZPlBzoj0

**** NEW DS-INSPIRED MUSIC VIDEO STARRING KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT

From the blog post: Pop singer-songwriter Kyle Motsinger pays homage to Dark Shadows with his new single, aptly called “Dark Shadows.” . . . The accompanying visual, premiering today, is a masterfully-crafted piece of throwback cinema, opening up on a late-night rendezvous to a decrepit mausoleum. Motsinger, who plays the fair-skinned, long-haired protagonist, finds himself at the loving mercy of a vampire named Barnabas Collins, a direct reference to the show, Dark Shadows.

Motsinger’s own fascination with the show and its motifs informs his artistic choices and perceptive direction. With “Dark Shadows,” the New Yorker stages his own gruesome but spellbinding fantasy. “I found my way into the song by imagining myself falling in love with vampire Barnabas in that gothic house of Collinwood,” he says of the dark-club song, which he co-wrote with producer Lorant Duzgun. . . . . Motsinger met Scott in what can best be described as “a moment of serendipity that I’ve never experienced before,” he says. “I sent her the song later and invited her to star in the music video as the character of Elizabeth, the family matriarch originally played by silver screen legend Joan Bennett.” Scott graciously accepted the invitation, and in the video, she dons a dazzling gown given to her by Bennett some years ago.

Online link to the video:
https://youtu.be/6b1nJMV_v0U

The Music Video Blog:
http://bsidesbadlands.com/kyle-motsinger-kathryn-leigh-scott-dark-shadows-video-premiere/?fbclid=IwAR3TqRBzUDa2RpX3kAhADdO5bqqXVDkKyOVAgQ2fZGj7ws7FQrAe5QxV6Rg

**** HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS on TCM

“House of Dark Shadows” and “Night of Dark Shadows” will be seen on Turner Classic Movies early Sunday morning on October 28 at 1:30 am and 3:30 am. NOTE: They are listed on the TCM schedule for October 27, and that schedule runs after midnight. Their schedule for the 28th starts at 6:00 a.m.

**** DISCOVERY OF THE LONG-LOST LYNDHURST GARDEN FILM:

This research has uncovered early images of the property dating to the 1870s as well as documentation from around the turn of the 20th century. . . . Staff found very little such documentation of the grounds dating from between the beginning of the 20th century and the early 1960s, when the National Trust acquired Lyndhurst. Until, that is, an unassuming reel of 16mm film surfaced in the Lyndhurst archives—and opened a new world of living color. The reel, which was found sitting at the back of a closet, was labeled “Lyndhurst Gardens, 1972,” but on it were 33 minutes of edited color footage from 1942. (Staff were able to establish the date based on a license plate that appears in the film.) The film captures various locations around the garden landscape in long, panning shots. The discovery of this film is significant because it offers, for the first time, a tangible look at the landscape during the period when Lyndhurst was owned by Anna Gould.

https://forum.savingplaces.org/blogs/special-contributor/2018/08/02/discovery-of-the-lyndhurst-garden-film?fbclid=IwAR2b8nY3eWrhMG_mENKzFyFIJKTUKdK5WNT2XuS-SxDuKHQ-at1JWI30b1M

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Wow! That sounds like a great event. I wonder who will be able to go to it with only four days' notice.  [hall2_huh]

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, well - that music video is quite the thing considering it goes places the show has dared not gone. Though the question is how long will Angelique allow it to go on...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Ridiculously short notice for an event.  [Spooky_Ghost] [Spooky_Ghost] [Spooky_Ghost]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i'm confused about the wording for Thursday's event...

a "preview" of the "upcoming" documentary meaning it will be screened in it's entirety here first or literally just a short preview?

of course i want to see it if it's being fully screened.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And unfortunately the Web site provided in the link doesn't clear it up. In fact, it doesn't even mention the documentary. Though that might mean that it really is just a preview, as in a trailer...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That's hilarious about that screening. Dysfunctional much?

I have to admit I love the new music video. I loved seeing KLS as Liz and the fact that Miss Scott wore a gown given to her by THE Mistress of Collinwood makes it all the more special. I do wonder how some fans will react to the scenario portrayed in the film. Great casting for Barnabas.

Also, the star has GREAT hair... but then, I'm a huge ginger fan.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'm not a fan of the "modern" horror film, at all. But I think George Romero, Tobe Hooper, and William Friedkin actually invented the beast, for better or worse. The directors mentioned in the blurb for the Paley Center event elaborated on this new horror arena characterized by such elements as body horror, extreme gore, splatter, etc. Romero's decomposing zombies of 1967, Hooper's violent chainsaw massacres and Friedkin's onscreen torture of Linda Blair's body were what set the tone for what was to come.

Just my two drachmae.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
This does not seem to have mentioned in the latest ShadowGram but is making the rounds on "social media" today.

You've heard of Talking Tina, but are you ready for "Talking Barnabas"?

https://www.mpihomevideo.com/collections/merchandise/products/barnabas-9-talking-statue

I really hope one of the "soliloquies" is Barnabas uttering the immortal words, "Tonight must go nothing wrong!"

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yes, that would be great!  [ghost_cheesy]

When SG mentioned the figure last May, I mentioned that I hoped:

Quote from: ShadowGram
“Talking Barnabas Collins” ceramic figure which will “speak” dialogue from the original daytime TV series. The words will be spoken by Jonathan Frid in character as the iconic vampire

I'm positive it won't be one of the lines, and more's the pity, but it would be great if one bit of dialogue might be from the 1796 scene in which Barnabas explains to Joshua that he killed Angelique but never said she was dead. That is one of my all-time favorite lines ever on DS! And only on a show like DS could it ever make a bit of sense.  [ghost_grin]

We might just have to settle for "You've betrayed me!!"  [ghost_wink]

However, another great one could be (with regard to Vicki in 1796) "She will be judged innocent until she is proven innocent!"

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Shades of the talking Herman Munster hand puppet!!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Call me when they create a talking Liz:

"Because I choose to do so!"
"Roger, you're a fool!"
"Would you like some tea?"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A talking Liz would be wonderful - especially with those lines.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram (SG) Official Dark Shadows (DS) News Online Update # 411
Tuesday,  October 30, 2018

**** Special Dark Shadows Halloween Sale at mpihomevideo.Com AND new talking Barnabas statue

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

**** SPECIAL DARK SHADOWS HALLOWEEN SALE AT MPIHOMEVIDEO.COM AND NEW TALKING BARNABAS STATUE

To celebrate the haunting season, MPI Home Video is putting on a special 20% off sale on all DS items this week through its website.

Go to www.mpihomevideo.com and type in Dark Shadows in the search column or go directly to the following link for the just released talking Barnabas Collins mini-statue which plays Jonathan Frid's original recitation to the portrait of Josette in the Old House drawing room from original Episode 212.

https://www.mpihomevideo.com/collections/dark-shadows-collection/products/barnabas-9-talking-statue

Important Note: Use Discount Code TWENTY at check out to receive 20% off your entire order of Dark Shadows merchandise - including T-shirts, jackets, wall clock, pocket watch, umbrellas, tote bag and vintage style lunch box - plus full line of DS DVDs.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
dom, that would be so beyond awesome.

Of course, Talking Liz would pose regally in the model stance. Next question: is the hair the tiara up-do of 1967, or the Lady Bird Johnson Hair Helmet look of 1969-70? Decisions, decisions!

xoxo G.