Author Topic: Professor Thayer David  (Read 2830 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Professor Thayer David
« on: April 11, 2002, 03:42:50 PM »
Last week at a FrightVision Q & A session, KLS said that Thayer David meticulously corrected the grammar on DS scripts. I must say that my appreciation for Mr. David"s talents have grown.  That range in characterization is much more vivid this time around especially as Ben Stokes.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Thayer David
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 05:49:37 PM »
What a fantastic bit of trivia!  And now I like him even more too.  I've often suspected that many of his marvelous lines were improvised as well.

I confess that I've been tempted to correct the grammar on the assignments my kids have brought home.  I'm not talking about theirs; I mean the teachers' grammar.  Maybe I'm just too picky, but I think a teacher should be able to put a sentence together.  But I haven't done it, though I draw the line at spelling words-- If kids are given a list of words to memorize then I think care should be taken to make sure they're spelled correctly, and I've sent notes to a few teachers asking, "Is this how you want the word spelled?"

Anyway, this morning I'm lifting my cup of coffee in a toast to Thayer David.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 05:55:09 PM »
VAM dear,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful little story.  If I ever finish my book on Grayson, I'd love to produce a little memoir on Thayer.  Not surprised to learn that he corrected his scripts.  I've always thought he probably more or less rewrote large chunks of his own dialogue, especially when he was playing Count Petofi.  It just sounded way too literate compared the rest of the scripts.

Steve

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 06:10:17 PM »
This photo was posted on the 1st VantageNet board, which was corrupted ages ago, so I'm bringing it back for ProfStokes and others to enjoy.  The source is Frid's scrapbook, and it was generously shared by Nancy.

Thayer David during his days on DS

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2002, 06:54:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing that wonderful photo, Midnite, and thanks to Nancy, too, for finding it and sharing it!  and I suppose ultimate thanks has to go to Jonathan Frid, not just for being so generous, but for still entertaining us with his amazing performances!  

Some facts that have been posted many times about Thayer David ... this is just off the cuff, in case some of the new fans want to know more about this amazing gentleman...

Thayer David was born David Thayer Hersey in 1927 in Medford, Mass., a suburb of Boston (actually the town right next over from where I've lived--I've checked the Herseys still living in the area in the phone book and thought more than once of calling around to see if any of them are relatives--he had a sister, I believe).  

The family owned a paper mill and were well enough off to be upper class if not quite rich.

He attended Harvard University and was in the same circles as Edward Gorey and Frank O'Hara (a distinguised poet who was also a curator at the Museum of Modern Art).  O'Hara wrote a poem in honor of Thayer's performance in the role of Prospero in the Tempest (look up David Hersey in the index of O'Hara's Collected Poems).

Thayer was one of the founders of the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge.  It lives on as a repertory film theatre with the occasional concert or performance.

His first film role listed on IMDB was in 1957's Baby Face Nelson.  He achieved somewhat better exposure in Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) and The Story of Ruth (1960).  He did a lot of theatre on and off Broadway in the Fifties and Sixties.  He worked with Louis Edmonds in Cat-stick in '61 (starring the remarkable Patricia Jessel) and with Grayson Hall in the spectacular 1966 flop Those that play the Clowns.

After DS, he was one of the busiest actors in the industry, constantly shuttling between the 2 coasts doing film, television and theatre.  Shortly before he passed away from a heart attack he did a feature-length pilot film for a new Nero Wolfe series which presented one of his best performances.  I really do hope this is released on home video some day.  He looks fabulous in it ... believe it or not, fresh and healthy!  

Hope you all continue to enjoy his performances on Dark Shadows.

Steve

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2002, 07:21:40 PM »
VAM dear,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful little story. .
Steve

Here is one other bit of information KLS shared about Thayer David. She discovered what a huge appetite David had when  she, Mitchell Ryan, and  David went out  to breakfast one time during the filming of the Series.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2002, 07:59:33 PM »
Do we know about Mr. David's  professional training?

I too enjoy and believe hearing about his correcting of grammar...I'm also sure he put in his own depth of character.

Midnite....AGREE about the mis-spelling/improper grammar from teachers :o :o

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2002, 10:35:29 PM »
What a fantastic bit of trivia!  And now I like him even more too.  I've often suspected that many of his marvelous lines were improvised as well.

I confess that I've been tempted to correct the grammar on the assignments my kids have brought home.  I'm not talking about theirs; I mean the teachers' grammar.  Maybe I'm just too picky, but I think a teacher should be able to put a sentence together.  But I haven't done it, though I draw the line at spelling words-- If kids are given a list of words to memorize then I think care should be taken to make sure they're spelled correctly, and I've sent notes to a few teachers asking, "Is this how you want the word spelled?"

Anyway, this morning I'm lifting my cup of coffee in a toast to Thayer David.

Oh that is great Midnite! i had to do that last year with a math problem my daughter did that her teacher
corrected wrong! This teacher was called "the math queen"too!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2002, 10:38:38 PM »
Thanks for sharing that wonderful photo, Midnite, and thanks to Nancy, too, for finding it and sharing it!  and I suppose ultimate thanks has to go to Jonathan Frid, not just for being so generous, but for still entertaining us with his amazing performances!  

Some facts that have been posted many times about Thayer David ... this is just off the cuff, in case some of the new fans want to know more about this amazing gentleman...

Thayer David was born David Thayer Hersey in 1927 in Medford, Mass., a suburb of Boston (actually the town right next over from where I've lived--I've checked the Herseys still living in the area in the phone book and thought more than once of calling around to see if any of them are relatives--he had a sister, I believe).  

The family owned a paper mill and were well enough off to be upper class if not quite rich.

He attended Harvard University and was in the same circles as Edward Gorey and Frank O'Hara (a distinguised poet who was also a curator at the Museum of Modern Art).  O'Hara wrote a poem in honor of Thayer's performance in the role of Prospero in the Tempest (look up David Hersey in the index of O'Hara's Collected Poems).

Thayer was one of the founders of the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge.  It lives on as a repertory film theatre with the occasional concert or performance.

His first film role listed on IMDB was in 1957's Baby Face Nelson.  He achieved somewhat better exposure in Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) and The Story of Ruth (1960).  He did a lot of theatre on and off Broadway in the Fifties and Sixties.  He worked with Louis Edmonds in Cat-stick in '61 (starring the remarkable Patricia Jessel) and with Grayson Hall in the spectacular 1966 flop Those that play the Clowns.

After DS, he was one of the busiest actors in the industry, constantly shuttling between the 2 coasts doing film, television and theatre.  Shortly before he passed away from a heart attack he did a feature-length pilot film for a new Nero Wolfe series which presented one of his best performances.  I really do hope this is released on home video some day.  He looks fabulous in it ... believe it or not, fresh and healthy!  

Hope you all continue to enjoy his performances on Dark Shadows.

Steve

thanks Steve  I could tell he was a "Harvard man"!
also I lived in Medford for a few years while I went to Salem State so it is nice to have that connection!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2002, 11:16:52 PM »
Thank you so much, VAM and Gothick for sharing the information about Thayer David!  I haven't had much luck finding information about him, so I greatly appreciate any trivia or anecdotes.  I've always admired his ability as an actor, but the more that I learn about him as a person, the more I respect him and mourn his loss.  :'(  

Many thanks to Midnite and Nancy for the photo as well!

ProfStokes

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2002, 12:49:34 AM »
Thayer David sounds like quite a gent.  Any man who values food and grammar is fabulous as far as I'm concerned.

The one time I visited the DARK SHADOWS studio many years ago, Thayer David was the only actor I met--he exited a taxi while I was standing in front of the studio in the broiling hot summer sun.  I ran over and requested his autograph, but when he tried to sign a shiny copy of a DS script I handed him, the pen didn't work well, and he said his signature didn't show up very well.  It was awesome meeting him in person, even if his autograph on that blasted script was smudged almost beyond recognition.

Love, Robin  

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2002, 01:54:46 AM »
Dropped by unexpectedly, only for a moment, and I'm glad I did because I discovered this thread.

I've admired Thayer David's performances on DS since I started watching the series about three years ago (didn't remember him from my childhood viewing).  Would so much like to see any of his other work as well.

Thanks for telling us more about him, Gothick.  KLS also wrote in one of her books that he battled alcoholism.  It's heartbreaking to think of that, along with his early death.  I only hope he overcame his addiction before his death.

He was a great talent and we were cheated when he died.

Midnite -- what a sad commentary on teachers!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2002, 02:01:43 AM »
Thank you so much, VAM and Gothick for sharing the information about Thayer David!  I haven't had much luck finding information about him, so I greatly appreciate any trivia or anecdotes.  I've always admired his ability as an actor, but the more that I learn about him as a person, the more I respect him and mourn his loss.  :'(  

Many thanks to Midnite and Nancy for the photo as well!

ProfStokes

You are welcome...Just Knew information about Mr. David would please you!

P.S. Glad all enjoyed it!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2002, 02:06:55 AM »
Last week at a FrightVision Q & A session, KLS said that Thayer David meticulously corrected the grammar on DS scripts. I must say that my appreciation for Mr. David"s talents have grown.  That range in characterization is much more vivid this time around especially as Ben Stokes.

Just caught "Journey to the Center of the Earth" this past weekend - hadn't seen the thing since I was a small child. I had forgotten Thayer David's role in that film. He looked quite a bit younger than he did on DS ten years later - it was a real "hoot!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT: Teachers
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2002, 02:17:51 AM »
Midnite -- what a sad commentary on teachers!

Ack, I should add that I think teachers are fantastic and whenever possible I'll give them my support.  We entrust our young people to them and if paid according to their responsibilities, I think they should be making the same as doctors and lawyers, if not more.  And I owe much to my former teachers (I can picture a certain nun frowning at me for starting this sentence with the "and" ;)), and perhaps it's MY hangup, but I tend to hold teachers to higher standards-- for example, an English teacher when it comes to writing-- just as I would expect another Registered Nurse to not make a medication error if I'm his or her patient.

I apologize if it seemed like I was bashing the profession.