Author Topic: Kolchak, why'd they dig you up?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: Kolchak, why'd they dig you up?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 03:13:54 AM »
Well, if nothing else, the series can be credited with giving new "life" to the rumors that Darren McGavin is dead. If I had a nickel for every time I'd heard or read that piece of misinformation in the past few months, I'd be a wealthy woman.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 05:09:36 PM »
This program is just an excuse to do another X-Files even though Chris Carter ended the real X-Files.    Spotnitz was out of work, that's the reason for the show.    It colors my opinion that I didn't care for the TV movies but lovred the NS series.    The characters and humor and atmosphere were crucial for me.    Kolchak was more important than the supernatural danger of the week.    This new thing called "Night Stalker" has no Kolchak.   That guy is not him.   The character is completely absent, because it's superficial 2005 where no one would ever put a rumpled middle-aged un-model-like loveable loser character in clothing twenty years out of style on TV.

X-Files isn't that influenced by NS, which is evident from how little Spotnitz understands it, at least the series.    Carter said it wasn't a direct influence.   Watching the Invaders recently, that has to be the most directy influence.    The infected bees even came from that show.   (locusts)

Dan Curtis did the movies but not the series, so maybe he did have some say.   But I'm getting the impression DC wasn't much responsible for what was good about DS, and was sort of confused by the love people have for it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 06:01:06 PM »
But I'm getting the impression DC wasn't much responsible for what was good about DS, and was sort of confused by the love people have for it.

Gee, ya think?  ;D

But getting back to NS, its future *might* be brighter than I'd originally thought because here's something from a weekly ratings report that I didn't realize:

"Alias" (5.5/9, tied for 46th) and "Night Stalker" (4.8/7, 63rd) gave ABC its best numbers in years for regular series in their respective timeslots.

Even if NS remains a distant third in its timeslot, so long as it's able to hold onto its better numbers, *maybe* ABC will be willing to let it last the entire season. Though, of course, that's still a lot of ifs and maybes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2005, 06:38:02 PM »
Even if NS remains a distant third in its timeslot, so long as it's able to hold onto its better numbers, *maybe* ABC will be willing to let it last the entire season. Though, of course, that's still a lot of ifs and maybes...

Well, so much for that idea:

ABC had nothing to smile about courtesy of its revamped line-up of Alias, Night Stalker and Primetime Live. ... Week two of Night Stalker at 9 p.m. declined by 1.23 million viewers (7.12 to 5.89 million) and 23 percent among adults 18-49 (2.6/ 6 to 2.0/ 5) from its debut on Sept. 29.

I actually thought the second episode was much better than than the pilot. The plot was much more involving, with several suspenseful moments - and more importantly, the Kolchak and Reed characters were more interesting to watch. IF the show can produce more episodes like last night's, maybe word of mouth *might* bring more people to the show. Though, once again, that's still a lot of ifs and maybes...

Offline hornet

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 12:43:17 PM »
I wasn't impressed with the pilot episode and tuned out a few minutes into episode 2. This just isn't The Night Stalker, because as someone else pointed out Kolchak isn't in this thing. For me, what made the original version so great was Darren McGavin and Simon Oakland. This new guy is just dull and "charismaless" (is that a word?) and the show is way more of an X-Files clone than anything else.

On the bright side, the original series is now finally on DVD so I can watch the episodes I've never seen before including the one with Lara Parker. Just 2 more episodes until I get to it. Can't wait. :)

Dan

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 09:55:58 PM »
Those ratings MB for the second NS episode are just horrible. I am afraid that the show is dead in the water unless a miracle happens. It is another knock (justification) against making remakes and that is a shame. If an ABC executive was thinking about making a new DS before the NS premiered, I have a feeling that idea will now fly right out the window.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 11:46:03 PM »
I am afraid that the show is dead in the water unless a miracle happens.

Mediaweek's recent prediction:

-Night Stalker: the axe could swing before November.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 07:43:52 AM »
This just isn't The Night Stalker, because as someone else pointed out Kolchak isn't in this thing. For me, what made the original version so great was Darren McGavin and Simon Oakland.

Funny you should mention it in these terms.  I was reading who were the guest stars, etc. on TV Tome.  Lo and behold Darren McGavin was uncretited for the pilot episode.  For three seconds they superimposed the old Kolchak in the new newsroom with the new Kolchak.  Viola...

Don't know if any of you caught the credits for episode 2.  1991 DS Director alumni and director of many of the X-Files episodes, Rob Bowman was at the director's healm.  This gives two real obvious DS connections with Dan Curtis as consulting producer.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2005, 09:09:31 AM »
Well, I'm sure this comes as no surprise to anyone:

ABC Says Good Night to 'Stalker'

(And as a side note, I love the changes that Zap2it.com have made to their Web site.  [thumb])

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 05:29:09 PM »
I got to see the final ten minutes or so of one episode.  The editing and photography were impressive.  I really have nothing else to say about it.

It sounds as if the series was sabotaged by the programmers from the get-go.  I'm amazed they waited six weeks--twice as long as I expected, given the current state of television.

G.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 08:18:30 PM »
Well, let's face it- you can't improve on the original!  Just how many versions of Twlilight Zone have there been since the original left CBS?  There's been two- three if you count Night Gallery!!!  One good thing has come from this fiasco- the publicity got Universal to release the original series on DVD, and that's fine by me.  Series remakes are iffy- ironically the '91 DS did show a life of its own and could've succeeded if it weren't for that ghastly Friday time slot and Saddam Hussein.  On the other hand, look at the bad remakes of TV shows like The Odd Couple, Family Affair, The Munsters, The Fugitive, et al.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 11:14:53 PM »
I see they made nine eposides. You realize that's enough to let the new SciFi Channel run this weekly for the next 3-4 years, somewhere between "Battlestar Galactica: Extreme Kitchen Patrol" and "Stargate HG1: FRCF - Home and Garden, Free Range Chicken Farming."  [5393]

Michael    [ghosty] [ghosty] [ghosty]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 09:39:07 PM »
have to say i missed it but i've been missing a lot of tv these days
i did see some old reruns of the first NS and have to say they are still fun to watch

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2005, 11:02:38 PM »
I see they made nine eposides. You realize that's enough to let the new SciFi Channel run this weekly for the next 3-4 years
Oh, your prophetic soul!  [santa_cheesy]

SCI-FI announced today that they've acquired the rights to rebroadcast all 10 episodes of the series, including 3 that didn't air on ABC. They say it will launch this summer. The press release is here.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2005, 11:16:10 PM »
SCI-FI announced today that they've acquired the rights to rebroadcast all 10 episodes of the series, including 3 that didn't air on ABC.

Well, at least that's good news for the 3 people who remained loyal viewers.  [santa_wink]  (Particularly after ABC yanked the series after only the first part of a two-part episode had aired.  ::))

And can a DVD release be far behind...