Author Topic: Denise Nickerson -- Prayers and support needed  (Read 10464 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Denise Nickerson -- Prayers and support needed
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:30:04 PM »
Please keep Denise in your thoughts and prayers, who is very ill following a massive stroke.  She is currently sedated and on a ventilator.  Her son and daughter-in-law have been updating her condition via Denise's and Jasmine's Facebook pages, and the couple sounds just terribly overwhelmed.  They've set up a page for donations to help with the mounting costs of care, treatment and housing.

Support for Josh and Jasmine Nickerson

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Denise Nickerson -- Prayers and support needed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:14:31 AM »
How tragic!  For several years, Denise and I were on-line pen-pals but as life gets filled with stuff, we fell out of touch.  I'm crushed at hearing this news.  She is such a marvelous person.

Gerard  (P.S., not all of us belong to facebook or want to.  If anyone knows of any other way to contact her family, please let us know.)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 01:21:21 AM »
Thanks,  Midnite.

I hope things get easier for everyone involved, especially Denise. I spent a good deal of time with her at one of the fests and she was a joy.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 01:40:07 AM »
i saw that. things do not seem to have gone well for her in recent years. i hope her condition improves.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 04:41:23 AM »
Oh my - how shocking!!  I certainly hope she recovers.  Lots of good wishes to Denise and her family.
Josette

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 08:27:11 PM »
Prayers are with her family   And that God will heal her soon
Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
Last night's update was pretty good. It seems likely now that she will make a good recovery.

Gothick

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 06:02:23 PM »
Thanks for the news, Gothic!  That's fantastic!

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 07:13:03 PM »
Thanks, Gothick.  Her DIL wrote that Denise is awake and responsive, breathing on her own and currently not needing the feeding tube, following simple commands, and purposefully moving her right leg [her stroke was on the left side of her brain, which impacts the right side of the body].  Very good news!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 02:26:03 AM »
Back in the late 90's, when Harper-Collins launched its revival of Dark Shadows novels, I hoped to make my mark by maybe penning a few.  The first, called Dark Shadows: Watcher on the Hill, I completed in first rough draft.  It was set in 2000.  Carolyn, who remained widowed, and her cousin David, married with two young sons, were the owners of Collinwood.  The entire great estate had been fully restored and Carolyn, through her found business savvy, turned Collinsport into a thriving tourist town with resorts, boutiques, cafes, etc.  Her elderly Uncle Roger lived with them as did Quentin.  In the modernized Old House lived a retired Barnabas and Willie with a satellite dish on the roof and Barnabas scouring the internet.  Maggie Evans returns from California, divorced with her children grown, and Barnabas helps her arrange a showing of her deceased father's work at the New York Metropolitan of Art.  And a totally reformed Angelique, who survived her death in 1841, also returns and she and Barnabas rekindle their romance with plans to wed.  And then something dark and evil returns to create havoc in the family...

I started a rough draft of a second novel, Dark Shadows - Occasion of Sin.  It was designed to be an "epic," Gone-With-the-Wind work with a prologue set in 1918, the major part set from 1927 through 1949, and an epilogue in 1966.  At that time, I was a constant pen-pal with Denise.  I told her of my second work and that Nora would be a major character (from 1927 until her tragic death in 1935).  Denise was thrilled with the idea.  She "collaborated" with me on fleshing out Nora, even as to how Denise thought Nora would look at that time period.  It was a fascinating exchange.  Then, of course, the Harper-Collins series collapsed.  I had issues dealing with my parents' rapidly declining health, had to move back "home," and needed to deal with that.  Time didn't allow a continuance.  But I'll never forget that time when I was "pals" with Denise.  Such a marvelous woman.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 07:32:57 AM »
Great news, Gothick!  The first report seemed so ominous.  Gerard, that's a fascinating story!!
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 03:35:18 AM »
Thanks so much, Josette!  Denise would describe how she thought Nora would look based upon her own appearance.  She even sent photos.  It helped so much as I wrote the novel. 

Gerard

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 04:17:59 AM »
Back in the late 90's, when Harper-Collins launched its revival of Dark Shadows novels, I hoped to make my mark by maybe penning a few.  The first, called Dark Shadows: Watcher on the Hill...

I started a rough draft of a second novel, Dark Shadows - Occasion of Sin

Gerard
Have you made these available to fans? I'd love to read them!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 04:12:49 PM »
Unfortunately, Doctor (but, then I guess fortunately), I have only one printed copy of the first novel in a binder, and the second novel is on one of those old hard discs that can no longer be inserted into a computer.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile