Author Topic: Ron Sproat and Barnabas  (Read 4695 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Ron Sproat and Barnabas
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 08:57:16 PM »
Wow Wow Wow!  This one is awesome, though it takes awhile for them to get organized for the performance.

Jonathan and Lara reciting Poe's magnificently strange poem,"The Bells," at some DS event:

https://archive.org/details/09FridWithLaraParkerTheBellsByPoe

Doctor and K-9, is this from one of your recordings?
Yes. I made audio recordings of many of the events in the 80s. I believe The Bells performance was one in which there was a prohibition regarding video taping. There was no mention of audio, so I recorded it. I have the entire performance and plan to post it later. I have several  that I will be posting, including Genesis of Evil which was his first one man show. Frid reads DS fan fiction along with the usual readings from literature.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »
Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to listening to "The Bells" tape again tonight. It's a real treasure and a great treat!

G.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2018, 05:21:15 PM »
I'm uploading Jonathan Frid's first one man show, "The Genesis of Evil." It contains readings by the likes of Poe, Shakespeare, the anonymous author of Genesis from The Bible, as well as works of Dark Shadows fan fiction and poetry. I'll post a link later. We are on our way out to eat. Anyone who wants to access it can go to the archive links in my posts above and go back to my library page on the archive. Unless the upload fails, it should be there very soon.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2018, 06:57:59 PM »
Here's the link to Genesis of Evil. Unlike the earlier audio tapes, the quality is quite decent. It was recorded by the Festival and distributed to fans who sent them an audio tape. I believe this is the only time they had such an arrangement. I have some other recordings of Frid's shows that are of similar quality. After the first few conventions, microphones became the norm and I also replaced my tape recorder.

https://archive.org/details/JonathanFridTheGenesisOfEvil

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
Last night, I listened to the Manhattan Shadows Technical Panel. Another fascinating snapshot of DS history, and I'm very grateful to the Doctor and K9 for sharing it with us!

Ironically there was one major technical difficulty with the panel, which seemed mainly to be caused by the fact that there was nobody in the room (so far as I could tell) in charge of either moderating the panel or handling microphone issues. Poor Jonathan Frid was left on his own to struggle with this, and he was obviously quite uncomfortable with the mike. (It should be said that he had great enthusiasm for the topic and was quite chatty throughout.) It seemed odd to me that none of the event organizers appeared to be present either to take charge or at least provide backup for Frid. At one point, he mentioned that another event was occurring elsewhere in the space so perhaps all the organizers were involved with that.

If so, they missed a really fascinating discussion. Frid begins by telling his audience that every day of his first year on DS was "absolute hell" for him, mainly due to his struggle to learn his lines. Later on (around the 30 minute mark) he shared his surprise when he finally viewed his first full episode in 1967. He was delighted to see that his work in that, which he had thought was a disaster during the taping, "was actually the best performance I'd ever given." He also goes into detail about his first day on the set and his process with getting into the work of doing the shows.

Among the line-up was one gentleman I'd never heard of. His name was something like Max Youngham (definitely Max--Frid only said the surname once, and the tape is not good quality). Incidentally, listening to the tape with headphones is a MUST. Earbuds don't work. Max handled the boom and as a result, heard all the director's comments in the control room. Apparently, the director was often having some kind of meltdown while the taping was going on due to all the technical issues, not to mention whenever one of the actors had a problem in the middle of taping.

The other guests are Ross Skipper, who had a beautiful clear speaking voice and a very down to earth manner. Ken McEwan, the "stage manager," who as you will all remember appeared in a few episodes during PT1970 as Larry Chase (he didn't discuss this). He did talk about his responsibilities which were primarily to the network to make sure the show never ran over, or ran short. Ron Sproat, whose own appearance on the other tape is more interesting, was part of this discussion.

I think Ross Skipper towards the end told what may have been my favorite story on the tape. He mentioned that somebody would run through all the medical accomplishments Julia had as a joke with Grayson and wind up with "and you're Barnabas's proctologist, too." It would make her rather exasperated. Some ingenue actress overheard this banter and asked Grayson, "What's a proctologist?" (She had a sheltered upbringing, no doubt.) Grayson swiveled and snapped, "It's an ASS DOCTOR. Now shut up!"

Great fun...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »
my favorite story on the tape. He mentioned that somebody would run through all the medical accomplishments Julia had as a joke with Grayson and wind up with "and you're Barnabas's proctologist, too." It would make her rather exasperated. Some ingenue actress overheard this banter and asked Grayson, "What's a proctologist?" (She had a sheltered upbringing, no doubt.) Grayson swiveled and snapped, "It's an ASS DOCTOR. Now shut up!"

I love it!!

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2018, 11:16:14 PM »
Last night, I listened to the Manhattan Shadows Technical Panel....Among the line-up was one gentleman I'd never heard of. His name was something like Max Youngham (definitely Max--Frid only said the surname once, and the tape is not good quality).
G.

I am glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with that name. I tried various spellings of the name and found no information on him.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2018, 11:23:48 PM »
I've posted a great deal more. I'll just leave a link to my page and anyone interested can browse through it. I have video of the show Frid gave for the volunteers at the 91 Festival. This tape came from his collection, sold to me by his family at a Festival, so it's almost certainly a 1st generation copy of the master. I doubt the  person recording it (probably Guy Haines) gave him the master tape.

There are a some magazine articles on DS. I posted elsewhere about the Night Rider pilot, starring Selby.

If anyone happens to have ever listened to the incomparable Carolyn Fox on 94HJY in Providence, I have two of her shows and will be posting more. I doubt there will be much interest, but if you liked edgy mid 90s radio, it didn't get much edgier than Carolyn Fox. She almost got arrested one April Fools day by telling people the city government was shutting down for the day. I forget the reason, but she gave the number of a competing station, 92 PROFM as the number to call with questions.

https://archive.org/details/@the_doctor_and_k9

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
Last night, I listened to the Manhattan Shadows Technical Panel....Among the line-up was one gentleman I'd never heard of. His name was something like Max Youngham (definitely Max--Frid only said the surname once, and the tape is not good quality).

I am glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with that name. I tried various spellings of the name and found no information on him.

I believe the technical guest was boom mic operator Max Jughans.  And doesn't legend state that he was the inspiration for the name "Mr. Juggins"?

Great stuff, The Doctor and K9!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »
Yes, he was the boom microphone operator. I'd never heard that "Mr Juggins" was in reference to one of the tech guys. What a riot! Thanks, Midnite, for sharing that. Frid tells the audience that he wished Max would write a book about his time working on DS. Max unfortunately did not get to tell very many stories at this event.

One thing that came through several times is that they all remembered DS as a very special experience. Even when it was "pure bedlam," it was like no other work experience anyone had ever had. That was why the technicians were interested in coming back to talk about it.

In his panel, Addison Powell did express bewilderment as to why anyone remembered the show and was still interested in it. They tried to explain it to him. I don't think he was convinced.

G.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 11:11:01 PM »
In his panel, Addison Powell did express bewilderment as to why anyone remembered the show and was still interested in it. They tried to explain it to him. I don't think he was convinced.
That event was only 12 years after the cancellation of DS. Imagine if he had lived to attend the 50th anniversary Festival!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 11:54:48 PM »
Considering how over the top his acting often was on DS (and I still say that's because it's what the directors wanted from him), Powell probably wished DS had been forgotten about so that no one would ever see those performances again.  [b003]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »
I read through this thread at the end of April and was excited to see this topic revisited. But I thought I would read through my Word files saved from previous discussions about who created the character of Barnabas Collins before posting any comment. My file from a thread in April 2004 is 14 pages long and I began to feel a little bogged down and didn't remember all of the personalities involved precisely after - it doesn't seem possible - 14 years. The discussion began with a quote from Art Wallace saying he had created the character of Barnabas. There were some sharp comments, claims, and counterclaims. It all seemed too much of a muddle for me to reach any conclusions, let alone comment. More sharp comments were exchanged in an article posted some years later that I copied and dated "April 4, 2013" -- surprising how discussions about the creation of Barnabas seem to recur in April -- in which Mamorstein takes swipes at Ron Sproat and Joe Caldwell, with Caldwell responding in kind. Too bad the topic became so contentious. Some of the discussions among the various creators of the show may have been forgotten by others, or the memories of some became self-aggrandizing. Nothing appears to have been documented regarding the creation of Barnabas. It does seem that many contributed to the character in different ways. I will content myself with that thought.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2018, 01:52:01 AM »
i thought Wallace created the initial setup concepts and characters...Victoria, the Collins family, Collinsport, Collinwood, the town hoi polloi...then some of the plots that launched the series. Vicki's search for her parentage. Burke's revenge storyline...

but had basically peaced out of the series by the time ghosts and ghouls started to creep out of the woodwork. i didn't know he was ever credited (or miscredited) with writing Barnabas or any of the later supernatural storylines.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2018, 02:24:32 AM »
Wallace was definitely still around when Barnabas was created. He insists (along with Robert Costello that) he actually wrote the character bio for Barnabas (all the original backstory in the 1830s). And it would seem that could easily be correct because when Wallace sued DC over merchandising and won, he was entitled to a percentage of profits from not only DS related material, but material based on Barnabas as well. Though he was more happy that the court saw things his way and that he'd bested DC than in the actual money, so that's why he decided on a one time lump sum payment from DCP rather than ongoing payments. Though any time any of the characters he created are used in a DS project, he must still get a credit for creating them, which is why we continue to see that credit...