Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45476 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2018, 04:34:28 AM »
Unless she was referring to the horse that was also named Carolyn.

Although, it strikes me that we didn't see that either.  [ghost_sad]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2018, 02:12:02 PM »
Here's the fifteenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

And of course, notice that it features both dialogue and panels that the slideshow skipped over.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2018, 07:32:01 PM »
SG #60 also shared the artwork for Page 15 without the dialogue:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
Here's the sixteenth page:

And, as usual, the page features both dialogue and a panel that the slideshow skipped over.

But's what's more interesting is that what takes place in the scene in the comic is similar in ways to two separate scenes that take place in the '91 Series, though the comic plays fast and loose with how they actually play on the series:

As the first begins to play early in Hour 4 of the series, Barnabas and Vicki walk through the woods and soon comment on the timelessness of wild places. Vicki remarks that she feels so free, it's as if she could fly. And that's when Barnabas recites the same lines from Byron that he does on Book 1, Issue 2's Page 15 of the comic, and Vicki also responds with her lines from Byron as in the comic. However, from there things digress greatly because when Vicki decides to playfully run away from Barnabas, he suffers the memory of Josette running from him to Widows' Hill. He frantically runs after Vicki, crying out, but in his mind he is unable to prevent Josette from jumping. Once he becomes himself again, he warns Vicki that she shouldn't run about about like she had been, and then he explains the legend of Widows' Hill and admits that it's where Josette died.

And as the second begins to play later in Hour 4 of the series, things are very different right from the outset because Barnabas and Vicki are in Josette's room at the Old House and he is reading poetry that he says was written by his namesake for Josette. As the situation soon becomes passionate between them, Barnabas is suddenly seized with blood lust and with difficulty he tears himself away from Vicki, turning his back to her to hide his vampiric state, just as he does on Book 1, Issue 2's Page 16 of the comic. Vicki begs him to tell her what's wrong, but Barnabas urges her to leave, claiming he "just doesn't feel" himself and begs her not to ask for a better explanation. Reluctantly, Vicki leaves, and after she does so, Barnabas, fangs exposed, moans in agony.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2018, 02:54:51 PM »
The stuff about how Josette's music box was created is fascinating. Also completely irrelevant to the story, but I have to say I'm impressed by how they researched this.

I was offline for several days over last weekend visiting friends in Canada so look forward to catching up whenever the next page or pages are posted in this thread.

Thanks,

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2018, 05:49:07 PM »
I'm also enjoying the fact that the authors of the comic book series decided to be "historically accurate" in the fact that music boxes would not be invented until decades and decades later, and trying to find a way to have Josette's created.  In all incarnations of DS, save one, the music box was a central prop.  The '12 version had none - I'm assuming because they makers of the film realized no such gadgets existed in the 1770's. 

Don't forget, in the OS, Gabriel's 1840 wheelchair had a wicker back per that era, but 1960's metal wheels.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2018, 06:20:01 PM »
And here is the seventeenth page:

And this time there are just two bits of dialogue that the slideshow skipped over.

And is it just me or does it look like they thought no one would recognize Angelique unless she wore her red and black dress? I mean, she certainly had others on the series...

And as for coming up with a way Josette's music box could exist it 1790, David Campiti was very proud that he was able to research how it might have been done. I do love the local craftsman, Mr. Drake, storming out and saying that the Collins Family always expects the impossible but money can get them every desire. That expectation certainly seems to be true in every version of DS, so Campiti was dead on there.  [ghost_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2018, 02:09:48 AM »
A strange thing--reading through this, I realized I can't recall, at all, the tune the music box played in the 1991 version.

I don't think the music box showed up in the first two hour movie thing that kicked it off. I only ever saw the other episodes once and that was maybe 15 or so years ago, now.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2018, 04:03:31 AM »
I remember being less than captivated by the music box origin. It really didn't do much to advance the overall story, nor did it really contribute to the missing weeks of the miniseries.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2018, 04:34:43 AM »
I'll have to check to be absolutely sure, but I *think* the music box does make an appearance in the pilot when Barnabas and Vicki share a dinner at the Old House. But the early eps have so many scenes featuring Barn and Vicki at the Old House that I can't be 100% sure it is that ep.

Actually, it will be interesting to see what he says about the music box and whether or not the comics contradict anything about it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2018, 04:38:05 AM »
nor did it really contribute to the missing weeks of the miniseries.

It certainly didn't do anything like that because the explanations delving into the creation of the music box all take place in flashbacks to 1790...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »
I'll have to check to be absolutely sure, but I *think* the music box does make an appearance in the pilot when Barnabas and Vicki share a dinner at the Old House.

I was correct. And an interesting thing is that I did a bit more research and was reminded that the scene in question is one of many in the pilot that had more material shot for it than appears in the pilot. Unfortunately though, none of the edited stuff was restored for the VHS release. But then chances are that's because, unlike the stuff that was restored for the VHS, DC never intended the edited bits (and they are simply bits) to be a part of the final version of the pilot. And as far as our discussion here goes, none of the missing bits have anything to do with the music box's history, so they're not worth getting into.

Actually, it will be interesting to see what he says about the music box and whether or not the comics contradict anything about it...

In the pilot's scene very little info is actually given about the music box's background. It's simply stated that the original Barnabas bought the music box for Josette on the day it was announced they were to wed. And while that might make someone presume that the music box already existed independently of Barnabas and he simply bought it after discovering it, it doesn't totally preclude him from having been involved in its creation. So, unlike a lot of the other stuff added in the comics, it doesn't necessarily fly in the face of what was established on the series in the first four hours. And a very good reason for that is that in 1790, when Barnabas gifts Josette with the music box in Hour 9 of the series, not only is she surprised that the tune it plays is the same tune that was playing when Barnabas first asked her to dance, he explains that he did indeed have the music box specially made in Boston, so for a change the comic merely fleshes out something that was actually established on the series. If only more of the new stuff in the comics fit into the series as well. Though as we'll see later in Book 1, the comic also puts a spin on the music box that was never indicated anywhere in the series...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2018, 09:20:42 PM »
A strange thing--reading through this, I realized I can't recall, at all, the tune the music box played in the 1991 version.

It played the same Josette's theme tune as the music box on the original series did.

And changing the subject entirely, after coming across it in SHADOWS IN THE '90s: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991, I just added some new material to reply #187 so that it will appear in this topic in context...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »
MysteriousB has been experiencing some internet issues [ghost_sad], so the Innovation Comics slideshow will resume once he's back online.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 02, 2018, 10:11:20 PM »
Sorry to hear about the problems. Hope he can find a resolution soon, purely for his own peace of mind!

G.