Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45528 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 04:00:10 AM »
The apparition in front of Barn's portrait is meant to be Angelique. Though an interesting tidbit is this first book and the third (which was sadly never completed) do deal with Laura in various ways and it looks like they had some really interesting plans for her. But alas...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »
Barnabas and Dr. Hoffman enter and seeing that Vicki seems disoriented, suggest she go for a drive with them in Dr. Hoffman's very expensive silver Rolls Royce.

Dr. Julia Hoffman had a silver Rolls Royce?  Now we know why health care is so expensive.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 09:08:27 PM »
As has been obvious for nearly three weeks now, Midnite and I decided that this year's slideshow would feature Book One of Innovations 1991 Series comics. As fans of the '91 Series, we both feel that, even though some of what Innovation created was flawed in some respects, many aspects of the plot and so much of the incredible artwork deserves to be seen by as many fans as possible. Though we'll certainly be discussing what we don't like as well as what we like, and we encourage members to do the same. Though a word of warning, and this comes directly from Innovation itself: "Don't compare continuity between the old series and the the new series. For our purposes, the old series never existed -- our comic depends completely on the continuity of the new hour-long color show. Anything mentioned or detailed in the old black-and-white series is not valid." However, I can't say that Innovation was always true to their word to stick completely within the continuity of the '91 series because there are goofs in the comics with respect to that continuity. They attempted to explain their goofs away with varying degrees of plausibility, but the goofs still remain. Though we won't get into them until they come up in the plot...

Because comics are different from TV shows/films, unlike what we've done with previous slideshows, we can't select quotes, take screen caps of video, and then flesh things out with script excerpts. So what we'll be doing is selecting quotes, cropping art work, and then fleshing things out by sharing entire pages from the issues. And with that in mind, before we catch up to where the slideshow already is, here's the front cover of Book One/Issue One -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

- and the inside cover -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

- which, among other things, explains how the plot of Book One fits into the '91 series (though Uncle Roger has already alluded to that).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
Beginning the actual storyline, here's the first page -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

- which is also autographed by David Campiti and Scott Rockwell (as a bonus if you'd subscribed to the entire comic series through Innovation).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 10:52:16 PM »
And here are the second and third pages -

(Click here for a 2656X1996 version)

- a sort of title sequence...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 12:26:46 AM »
I forgot to mention that eagle-eyed fans of the '91 series will no doubt notice that something is missing in this drawing -

- though it's not the type of thing I was referring to when I mentioned goofs earlier because those are all storyline continuity goofs. Here I'm referring to a setting goof...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 01:55:22 AM »
That's all quite cool, MB. I really don't recall this issue at all.  And I'm far from being the target audience for this feature, as I'm not a fan of the 1991 series. But I am enjoying the images and the dialogue immensely, so I'm glad you and Midnite are taking this project on.

A completely irrelevant comment came to mind when I saw today's selection. It reminded me of the episode of BATMAN where Liberace plays the dual role of piano virtuoso Chandelle and his evil twin brother, the larcenous Fingers. There's a scene where Fingers is plotting to get his mitts on Aunt Harriet's money and he kisses her hand while impersonating Chandelle. After the slippery crook slithers away, Aunt Harriet turns to Alfred and exclaims, "That wasn't Chandelle!  A man's kiss... well, Alfred--a girl can just tell!"

"YOU're not Ben Loomis!"  Famous last words...

Looking forward to more!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 03:56:00 AM »
Here's the fourth page -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 03:58:37 AM »
Here's the fifth page -

(It's odd how some pages artifact when the forum's system downsizes them and others don't...)

And note that this page contains dialogue that was not featured in the slideshow. Not to mention something else we didn't see in the slideshow: obviously Julia is none too pleased that Barnabas invited Vicki along...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 08:47:05 AM »
Who is he speaking to as the "blood of my blood, kin of my kin"?
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 04:11:53 PM »
He's addressing Willie--the lineal descendant of Ben Loomis. I don't think the two were related in the 1991 series but again, I never paid much attention to that.

I think this dialogue is a quote from DRACULA--either the original Stoker novel or one of the film versions.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
I should have added that I think the words mean that because Barnabas has taken Willie's blood, Willie is now bonded to him. Forever.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 06:50:22 PM »
Here's the sixth page -

(It's odd how some pages artifact when the forum's system downsizes them and others don't...)

And note that this page contains dialogue and a panel that were not featured in the slideshow...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 08:16:24 PM »
I'm not seeing any artifacting on my screen.

Thanks!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 11:54:05 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Interesting because I'm getting it on my computer no matter what browser I use. Though only with the scans that I've indicated...