Author Topic: Kenneth Branagh Shot ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ With the Last Four 65mm Came  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I hadn't known Derek Jacobi is in it - I love him!!  I looked up the cast and the 1974 film to see what his part is.  The character wasn't in the earlier one.  This group of pictures goes on to describe the parts, so apparently they are making some changes in it.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I hadn't known Derek Jacobi is in it - I love him!!

That's how I felt when I spotted Olivia Colman in the cast.  Adored her in Broadchurch.

I looked up the cast and the 1974 film to see what his part is.  The character wasn't in the earlier one.  This group of pictures goes on to describe the parts, so apparently they are making some changes in it.

Jacobi's counterpart (as Ratchett's valet) in the 1974 movie was played by John Gielgud.  For some reason, he was given a different last name for the earlier one (that was also different from the novel).

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i'm reading some rather negative reviews from critics who CLEARLY do not understand the "all star" Christie formula...

a complaint being, among other things, the talented cast is given "too little to do" and amounts to little more than a "series of cameos".

however that is exactly how most of these play out. and everyone involved goes in knowing that. it is not a "star vehicle" for anyone other than whatever actor is portraying Poirot in that iteration. ALL of the suspects are smallish but colorful roles generally getting only a few minutes of individual screentime before the group gathers for the big reveal. and accordingly as the victim Depp receives even less as they are usually killed at roughly the halfway mark and the second act is the investigation/resolution of the mystery.

these romps are more about imaginative costuming, sets and art direction and exotic locations, peppered with these "all star" appearances, than individual "character development"
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Laughter on the 'Orient Express'

Video features  Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Derek Jacobi, and Tom Bateman.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Sadly, michael c, I'm betting there are probably a lot of people reviewing the film (particularly on the Internet) who are completely unfamiliar with the previous versions, Christie's book, or even other works by Christie. Their loss...

One thing I thought was interesting is that Thursday night I went to check out a new mall in my area and while I was there I checked out its new movie complex to see if MotOE was going to open there. Not only was it going to be there on Friday, a person at a ticket counter told me there had already been multiple showings on Thursday even though it wasn't supposed to open officially until Friday...

Some friends and I do plan to see the film soon - but we'll go some weeknight when the complex will be less crowded...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Thanks for the additional info, Midnite!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I saw it yesterday. It was entertaining enough, though I still much prefer the 1974 version. On the plus side, it was nice to see Johnny Depp and Michele Pfeiffer exchange dialogue again. On the down side, Kenneth Branaugh is hampered by a mustache that makes him look like the grandfather of Glenn Hughes of The Village People.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm going to see it tonight.

Funny enough, both the mustache and Kenneth Branaugh have gotten some great reviews so I'm looking forward to both...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile