Author Topic: August 23rd - The MOST Celebrated Date In All Of DS History!  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: August 23rd - The MOST Celebrated Date In All Of DS History!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2005, 06:43:45 PM »
I can't help but wonder if this discussion has somehow attracted the attentions of sinister persons, with evil intent.

Well, it's no secret that government agencies and "others" are always monitoring Internet chatter.  [hiding]

In any case, I told my husband to skip the Waterman pen this year, and think "Tiffany earrings" instead.   No point putting him in harm's way.........

You may jest, but think - isn't it best to keep him totally away from a conspiracy that we may now know has already stretched across 40 years?!  [eek]

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2005, 07:29:19 PM »
I've heard rumors that Pomegranate Press' 40th anniversary gift to DS fans is a new book called POISON PEN, which focuses on the unexpected rise in popularity of the silver filigree pen and the effects it had on the show and the cast members.  Unlike Pomegranate Press' other DS books, POISON PEN is said to contain stories of behind the scenes battles and out of control egos.  Among its revelations:

• One cast member refused to work with the pen, claiming it purposely "inked" his/her fingers during rehearsals.
  • ABC petitioned the Television Academy to institute a special Emmy category for "Outstanding Performance by a Writing Implement in a Daytime Drama Series," a move which offended the rest of the DS cast and crew.
  • Lingering resentment for the pen led to the decision not to syndicate the first ten months of DS.

Lavishly illustrated with color and B&W photographs (many published for the first time), POISON PEN is said to be one of the most shocking and fascinating books ever written about a television series, and will debut at the 2006 Fest.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2005, 07:58:47 PM »
My sweet Goddess!  Claude, you naughty lad, you just nearly made me choke on my iced tea!

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2005, 08:46:59 PM »
ROFL, ClaudeNorth!  I can't wait to purchase a copy.  I'm dying to read if it's true that the pen received more fan mail than Frid and Selby combined.  And that unlike them, the pen answered it all without the need of hiring help.

I told my husband to skip the Waterman pen this year, and think "Tiffany earrings" instead.   No point putting him in harm's way......... [sure]

Well, there's ebay, but he has only minutes to nab this one...
Vintage Waterman silver filigree pen

;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 09:25:29 PM »
Whoa! the winning bid on that pen was $215.22!

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2005, 09:35:42 PM »
Whoa! the winning bid on that pen was $215.22! G.

So you can JUST imagine how much a truly desperate collector might offer for THE Pen.....if it was to come up for auction... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2005, 12:17:15 AM »
claudenorth that is the funniest thing ever! [offtheair]

who all's lives were forever altered by thier contact with the pen?i seem to recall burke,carolyn,vicki,david,roger,james blair and sheriff patterson with it in their possession at one point or another.am i forgetting someone?

what would have ever become of these people had destiny not laid the pen at thier feet?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2005, 12:18:43 AM »

MB, that avatar is glorious!

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2005, 09:08:02 PM »
I've heard rumors that Pomegranate Press' 40th anniversary gift to DS fans is a new book called POISON PEN, which focuses on the unexpected rise in popularity of the silver filigree pen and the effects it had on the show and the cast members.  Unlike Pomegranate Press' other DS books, POISON PEN is said to contain stories of behind the scenes battles and out of control egos.  Among its revelations:

• One cast member refused to work with the pen, claiming it purposely "inked" his/her fingers during rehearsals.
  • ABC petitioned the Television Academy to institute a special Emmy category for "Outstanding Performance by a Writing Implement in a Daytime Drama Series," a move which offended the rest of the DS cast and crew.
  • Lingering resentment for the pen led to the decision not to syndicate the first ten months of DS.

Lavishly illustrated with color and B&W photographs (many published for the first time), POISON PEN is said to be one of the most shocking and fascinating books ever written about a television series, and will debut at the 2006 Fest.

Leave it to KLS to capitolize on the pen's popularity--I mean this from the woman who sold Frid's HAIR clippings at a Fest once!  I think she got several hundred clams for it to!  Got to admire her business acumen, LOL!  I keep waiting for her to whip out a glass jar w/his gall bladder in it!  (is that fermeldihyde I smell?!)   [santa_evil]  Hey, you laugh, but don't put it past her, hee-hee!

Seriously though, I enjoyed the pen storyline and was completely wrapped up in it.  In fact dear cousins, you don't know this, but at one time, *I* had the pen in *my* possession!   [santa_azn]  But I think the afghan HAS to be the second most important prop.  That damn thing was everywhere (hell it even showed up on Roseanne's couch 20 years later!).  Someone in another post joked about there being a time travel plotline to pre-historic times and seeing the afghan draped over a rock in a cave!   [a_xmas]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2005, 09:18:28 PM »
  Someone in another post joked about there being a time travel plotline to pre-historic times and seeing the afghan draped over a rock in a cave!
LMAO!!   [8_2_73]  That's hilarious!

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline JosettesMusicBox

• Full Poster
  • JosettesMusicBox
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2005, 10:37:36 PM »
Any idea who actually HAS the pen OR the afgan?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2005, 03:51:46 PM »
Any idea who actually HAS the pen OR the afgan?

Probably Jim Pierson!  LOL!  You wait, they'll show up at a Fest Charity Auction one of these fine days.   [santa_wink]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2005, 11:21:49 PM »
After the big buildup for the Leviathans, and the breathing and all that, we should have finally been allowed to see what was doing the breathing, Jebez in his true form... the pen.   We were all meant to become pens or the slaves of pens, or slaves kept in pens, or something.     Nicholas Blair shouldn't have shown up as working for them, it should have been a giant pen with a goutee.   It might have had to hop instead of walk but those things could have been worked out.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor