Author Topic: August 23rd - The MOST Celebrated Date In All Of DS History!  (Read 5421 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: August 23rd - The MOST Celebrated Date In All Of DS History!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 03:26:05 PM »
I'm sure if Donne were alive to see Dark Shadows, he would have to agree that *the* afgan is, in fact, a metaphysical conceit.

I think he would agree only if the afghan were infested with fleas.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 04:56:22 PM »
As to the pen...I don't know, I just don't know.  I only know (to quote Julia) about *afgan*, for I've never seen the pen plot.

You've never seen THE silver filigree pen plot - and yet you dare to doubt its power?  :o  For shame!  >:(

[spoiler];D[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 05:00:17 PM »
On the other hand, don't even get me started on the mighty phallic symbolism of the silver filigree pen

I KNEW we weren't really talking about a stupid pen !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, is a pen *ever* really *just* a pen - particularly when it's given by a male to a female?  [b003]

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 05:05:24 PM »
I defy anyone to name another inanimate prop on DS that is so central to the action. You won't be able to because, quite simply, there is no other!! Not even the animated Hand of Count Petofi or the Head of Judah Zachery can hope to compare. They are forever consigned to live in the silver filigree pen's shadow, never to know the awe the silver filigree pen has inspired in generation after generation of DS fans across the world!!
LOL...you guys are crackin' me up with this topic. ;D

Hmm...Barnabas' cane is pretty notable/symbolic too, although I guess it wasn't as possessively manhandled, used and tossed aside like that delicately textured, rock hard, oh so irresistable filigree fountain pen. ;) Makes me want to pop in a tape and watch it again sometime... ^-^

I kinda agree with the others about the afgan though. ;) Its an almost forboding yet comforting symbol for that frenetic clan. Even while our dear Dr. hoffman was under the dangerously seductive power of that...hunk of a man  "Toooooom", only the afgan provided the comfort, warmth and veiled security for her weakened body (too much of a good thing can do that to ya) whist Mr. Barnabas Collins was out fighting that sexy vamp in a cold crypt just a hop skip and jump away...

Well {big cough} if nothing else, the afgan's kinda like the "where's waldo?" of the DS universe...I get a kick out of it when it pops up in fanfic now and then as well. ;D

Anyhoo, I know this probabaly isn't as significant (cough), but what of Julia's trusty medallion? I know I was never the same after I saw that colorful, sparkly, mesmorising prop twirl before the screen...followed by the deep sultry monotonous chant of that divinely unique and talented redhead we know and luv... :-*

By the way, have I mentioned lately how much I adore your cleverly concocted and informative posts MB ...they're tastier than a slice of Mrs. Johnson's piping hot dutch apple pie with just a dollop of sweet, sweet melty whip cream on top...finger licking good...mmm...tasty.

There'll be a special tea service in the Drawing room later today, darling. Liz and Julia will be waiting... ^-^

Wenchily in passing,

Heather   >:D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 06:19:31 PM »
You've never seen THE silver filigree pen plot - and yet you dare to doubt its power?  :o  For shame!  >:(

[spoiler];D[/spoiler]

I remember there was a pen pilot. ;)

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2005, 06:32:21 PM »
I think you guys have all been hitting the "joy" juice!

[lol2] [lol3]
Life works if you let it

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 08:33:16 PM »
No, no, no, no! That afghan is a mere pretender to the throne. It simply sits around in scenes purely as set decoration. It can't hold a candle to the silver filigree pen! No, no, no, no!!

MB...you have just made my crappy day fun!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 09:08:37 PM »
Hmm...Barnabas' cane is pretty notable/symbolic too ... what of Julia's trusty medallion?

Well, the closest the cane comes to being like THE silver filigree pen is probably when Barnabas loses it in 1795 and when Quentin persuades Jamison to steal it in 1897, with both instances prompting efforts to reclaim it. And the medallion comes closest by virtue of the fact that it has an impact on the lives of the people who "encounter" it. But THE silver filigree pen not only impacts lives, it also prompts frenzied searches and so, So, SO much more.  ;) 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 01:17:29 AM »
As to the pen...I don't know, I just don't know.  I only know (to quote Julia) about *afgan*, for I've never seen the pen plot.

[spoiler];D[/spoiler]

for the uninitiated the pen plot defies accurate description.it truly must be seen to be believed!

when these episodes come out on dvd run don't walk!even if you fast-foreward through the rest of the episodes watch the pen plot and only then will you understand it's monumentality. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 07:48:12 AM »
I think you guys have all been hitting the "joy" juice!

He must have been the one that took the blender home!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 04:33:11 AM »

MB, thank you for pointing out this vital date in DS history!

The Silver Filigree Pen is like unto a holy relic.  The object is so sacred to DS mythology that it was, and still is, considered blasphemous to market it.  A bubblegum card set based on the pen (not the storyline, JUST the pen in different 'poses') was in the works back in the 60s.  All the cards vanished the day they went to the printer.  No trace of the cards was ever found.  Recently, a Dark Shadows: The Silver Filigree Pen video game was planned, but the game developers all died under mysterious circumstances...  Drowned, they did.  Ayuh. 

PS - Silver filigree pen avatar anyone?

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 04:50:38 AM »
A bubblegum card set based on the pen (not the storyline, JUST the pen in different 'poses') was in the works back in the 60s.

Oh, if only!

All the cards vanished the day they went to the printer.  No trace of the cards was ever found.  Recently, a Dark Shadows: The Silver Filigree Pen video game was planned, but the game developers all died under mysterious circumstances...  Drowned, they did.  Ayuh.

It's a conspiracy I tell you - bigger than any there has ever been!!  [82b5]

PS - Silver filigree pen avatar anyone?

OMG, I love it!  [thumb]

[spoiler]PD, you're more insane than I am.  [wink2]  Your post had me [stfl][/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 04:24:45 PM »
What more fitting an emblem for the Mysterious Benefactor to bear than the True Sovereign of Dark Shadows--the Silver Filigree Fountain Pen.

It is little known that the origin of Barnabas Collins lay in a desperate attempt by TPTB to come up with something as popular as the Silver Filigree Fountain Pen storyline.  But sadly, even with the renown of Barnabas, the show never regained the pop-cultural cachet it held during that fabulous Autumn of 1966.

I heard that Jackie Susann planned a sequel to Valley of the Dolls, Summit of the Silver Pen, but ABC brass got wind of it, played hardball and threatened to sue.

The long-believed-to-be-lost print of the 1967 feature film, Pen of Dark Shadows, MAY have surfaced in the lower depths of Forrest J. Ackerman's 16 mm film collection.  Watch this space for further details.

It IS Friday, isn't it??

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2005, 04:41:18 PM »
It is little known that the origin of Barnabas Collins lay in a desperate attempt by TPTB to come up with something as popular as the Silver Filigree Fountain Pen storyline.  But sadly, even with the renown of Barnabas, the show never regained the pop-cultural cachet it held during that fabulous Autumn of 1966.

Sad but true. As I said at the outset, not even the appearances of Angelique, Quentin and, yes, even Barnabas combined could measure up to the import of the appearance of THE silver filigree pen. Some fans mistakenly believe DS may have begun a creative downslide after the 1897 storyline, but the actual truth is that it was all downhill after THE silver filigree pen plot concluded.  :'(

I heard that Jackie Susann planned a sequel to Valley of the Dolls, Summit of the Silver Pen, but ABC brass got wind of it, played hardball and threatened to sue.

Damn suits!  [rocket]

The long-believed-to-be-lost print of the 1967 feature film, Pen of Dark Shadows, MAY have surfaced in the lower depths of Forrest J. Ackerman's 16 mm film collection.  Watch this space for further details.

Forget the NoDS restoration! Darren had better get on this ASAP!!

[spoiler][laughing11]  You people are killing me!  [b003][/spoiler]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2005, 06:25:54 PM »
I'm sure it wasn't the the Mysterious Benefactor's intent to stir up dark and hidden things, but I fear we may have done exactly that.

I collect pens.  My husband usually buys me one for my birthday each year and it's coming up very soon.

But imagine my dismay when he called me from the City today to tell me that the shop where he's been buying them for years seems to have closed up suddenly, and without prior notice.  The surrounding merchants even seemed reluctant to discuss it.

I can't help but wonder if this discussion has somehow attracted the attentions of sinister persons, with evil intent.

In any case, I told my husband to skip the Waterman pen this year, and think "Tiffany earrings" instead.   No point putting him in harm's way......... [sure]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas