Author Topic: Dick Cavett Show on DVD  (Read 778 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Dick Cavett Show on DVD
« on: August 23, 2005, 05:24:11 PM »
Dear Fans,

A friend of mine informed me last week that selected episodes of the Dick Cavett Show are being given a
release on DVD.  He just bought the first set with the theme "Rock Stars" (or something like that) and described performances by Jefferson Airplane, Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin and other luminaries of the time.

I speculated to him whether the Jonathan Frid episode would be included in a future release and he just sent me this note in today's email:

Dick Cavett reads questions from the audience on little note cards.  Someone
asks "When you had Jonathan Frid on your show last week, did he really bite you
and leave teeth marks on your hand?"

I thought this was a hoot!  I remember when JF was on Merv Griffin, some rather dippy-looking dame appeared to be afraid he was going to bite her!  Amusing as it seems now, I'm sure it was very tiresome for JF as a serious actor to have to put up with these antics during "those years of insanity."

I heard a rumor a year or two ago that a similar release of the Mike Douglas Show was being prepared, but heard nothing further regarding this.

Best wishes,

Gothick

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dick Cavett Show on DVD
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:53:50 AM »
Was Frid the sole guest on a half hour episode of Dick Cavett?  If so, I would really like to see this!

Also, a broader question to anyone who might know - is any of Frid's work other than DS available on DVD?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 10:12:55 PM »
"Seizure" is the only other video with Jonathan Frid I've ever seen available anywhere, but it has never (at least officially   ::)) been released on DVD. Amazon still lists it on VHS, but their "availability" feature often leaves a little to be desired. With the interest in Frid, Oliver Stone, and Martine Beswick, I'm surprised its not more widely available. I would suspect its related to legal rights to the film and that Stone no longer finds it of interest, he no longer lists it on his official resume.
   Frid's other film, the TV movie "The Devil's Daughter" used to run on SciFi channel once in a blue moon. I think I taped it off there a few years back. Abe Vigoda is in it too.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 11:53:38 PM »
   Frid's other film, the TV movie "The Devil's Daughter" used to run on SciFi channel once in a blue moon. I think I taped it off there a few years back. Abe Vigoda is in it too.

"The Devil's Daughter" is the one I'd llike to see, more than "Seizure."  Shelley Winters has always been a favorite of mine.  I don't know how I missed that one when I was growing up; guess I wasn't home the night it aired.  I don't remember hearing at the time that "Barnabas" was going to be in a TV movie.

As an aside, I finally did get to see another of Ms. Winter's scary roles recently that I wasn't allowed to see when it came out - "Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?", an interesting re-interpretation of Hansel and Gretel.  It's on one of those inexpensive but nicely done Midnite Madness DVDs.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 09:44:23 PM »
"Seizure" is the only other video with Jonathan Frid I've ever seen available anywhere, but it has never (at least officially   ::)) been released on DVD. Amazon still lists it on VHS, but their "availability" feature often leaves a little to be desired. With the interest in Frid, Oliver Stone, and Martine Beswick, I'm surprised its not more widely available. I would suspect its related to legal rights to the film and that Stone no longer finds it of interest, he no longer lists it on his official resume.

I got a chance to see both movies recently.  Seizure must see at least once to see JF's performance.  The movie dragged for me but I loved watching JF and his many expressions.  I've heard a few stories around the making of the movie that sounded fun.  I saw TDD and liked it better as a movie.  The actors and story was better in my opinion.  Seizure has a great theme and the ending was outstanding, the scenery was pretty but the execution, the acting was stiff.  In TDD, JF has no speaking parts but his facial experiences were great!  Loved watching him in that too, besides the storyline was good.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/