Author Topic: Auction for Overpriced DS BooksI  (Read 847 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Auction for Overpriced DS BooksI
« on: December 02, 2017, 03:33:47 AM »
I thought I'd seen just about everything with regard to DS collectibles. How much are 7 Ross paperbacks worth? Oh and we're not even talking #s25-32. Nope, "Barnabas, Quentin, and the Vampire Beauty" is not part of the deal. Nor is "Barnabas, Quentin, and the Hidden Tomb". Someone is hoping to auction of the first 6 books and the 8th one for TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS. That's not a "Buy It Now," price. That's a starting bid. And of course the buyer pays shipping. It's ironic. I just bought "Dark Shadows-Dreams of the Dark" today as a gift. It cost me less than four bucks, shipping included from another eBay seller. I'm wondering if anyone is mad enough to pay that kind of money. The seller does mention that it's to benefit spaying and neutering of animals, but I'd be skeptical. If I had two and a half grand to throw around, I don't think I'd pay it to this person and trust that the money gets donated. It'll be interesting to see if anyone bites on this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LOT-DARK-SHADOWS-TV-SERIES-PAPERBACK-BOOKS-VTG-BARNABAS-QUENTIN-MARILYN-ROSS/122839302841?hash=item1c99cb02b9:g:QOAAAOSwNWxaIfWr

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Auction for Overpriced DS BooksI
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:15:53 AM »
Well, that listing is certainly "interesting," Doctor!  There's this weird phenomenon I've noticed with online used book prices in recent years (it might have started as long ago as ten years back, now--I haven't kept track).  This is where a vendor lists a copy of a book that isn't all that rare but is somehow perceived to be "hot"--but sometimes, only in a fairly obscure niche market.  For instance, this morning I was on Amazon and I saw some old Sax Rohmer paperbacks from the 1950s listed at around $450 apiece.  What I recall having been told years ago is that this means that if you "buy" the book, the vendor will then search for a copy for you.  And yes, you pay shipping.

Thankfully, there are still plenty of more reputable book dealers who don't engage in this kind of scamming.  I'm not sure that there's anyone to appeal to about this kind of thing since I don't think the used book sector is at all regulated. "Buyer beware."

Still, somebody "auctioning" a lot of fairly commonplace Ross paperbacks in such an extreme fashion on eBay sets a new benchmark.  As I said... interesting.

Best, G.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:40:52 AM »
Well Gothick, I'm watching the auction. Still no bites.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:13:37 AM »
Who in their right mind would pay the asking price?! Though I do see where someone bid $25.00, which is considerably lower, to say the least.  [santa_wink]

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:08:42 AM »
Who in their right mind would pay the asking price?! Though I do see where someone bid $25.00, which is considerably lower, to say the least.  [santa_wink]
I'd forgotten about the option to bid a lower amount than the Buy It Now price.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 06:28:09 PM »
Though that doesn't in any way diminish your point that it was insanity to originally ask $2,500. It'll be quite funny if all they ultimately get is a one hundredth of that!!  [santa_wink]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 02:11:33 AM »
Well, you can't blame the seller.  They're just might be a dupe out there.  Take a shot, make thousands.  If not, make hundreds or even less.  A buck's a buck.

Gerard