Author Topic: A Darkness at Blaisedon  (Read 954 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
A Darkness at Blaisedon
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »
Last Sunday night, after spending hours in the kitchen cooking up a lot of vegetables, I sat down and re-watched one of my favorite DS spinoffs, "A Darkness at Blaisedon."  This was Dan Curtis's attempt to launch a regular weekly evening series that would be "a version of DS at night." The proposed series was called DEAD AT NIGHT. I think that Roger Davis hints that this was in the works in the Ron Barry radio interview from 1968 (August or September of that year, I believe?). 

It's been a few years since my previous viewing of "Blaisedon."  The main thing that stuck out for me this time was how it was almost like a montage of several "fan favorite moments" from the daytime show.  We have a spooky old mansion with a fab spiral staircase (I was surprised to see that Sy Tomashoff did not get the credit for the sets), a half-mad caretaker played by Thayer David, Marj Dusay foreshadowing Kate Jackson's performance as the ingenue heroine, a psychic investigator (Kerwin Mathews) and his assistant (Cal Bellini in a role very reminiscent of Michael Stroka), a sobbing ghost in a white dress, a swag portrait of Louis Edmonds, a seance, an exhumation, lots of dry ice and Bob Cobert's lovely cues that make us all feel so much at home.

I was fascinated to see that the Roman bust that nearly killed Julia in 1995 showed up here, and I presume that this was its first appearance onscreen.  MB happened to notice recently that the bust also showed up in hoDS--I am not sure that that post is still available.

The script was by Sam Hall.  Although the series wasn't picked up (and I have no idea what studio politics were at work in that decision), I realized at the end of this viewing that the script did have an interesting kind of afterlife.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd call this I kind of preliminary draft of some of the ideas that eventually coalesced in the feature script for NIGHT OF DS.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: A Darkness at Blaisedon
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:41:47 PM »
I was fascinated to see that the Roman bust that nearly killed Julia in 1995 showed up here, and I presume that this was its first appearance onscreen.  MB happened to notice recently that the bust also showed up in hoDS--I am not sure that that post is still available.

Actually, it was NoDS:

And now that the WP is in the middle of 1995, those same observant people might have noticed that the prop in NoDS that I was referring to is indeed the same prop used in the 1995 and Summer of 1970 storylines. Can anyone pick it out from this capture of Scene 85's panning from Angelique's unfinished portrait to the extremely amorous Charles and Angelique -

- and mention how it's used on the daytime show?  [ghost_wink]
Yes, the bust that appears on the table in Charles studio in 1810 and also in several of the captures from Scene 62, like these two -

- was also the bust that fell from the railing of the landing and almost killed Julia in 1995's Ep #1063 -

- as well as the bust Elizabeth put of display in the Summer of 1970's Ep #1089 -

So it's very interesting that you say:

The script was by Sam Hall.  Although the series wasn't picked up (and I have no idea what studio politics were at work in that decision), I realized at the end of this viewing that the script did have an interesting kind of afterlife.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd call this I kind of preliminary draft of some of the ideas that eventually coalesced in the feature script for NIGHT OF DS.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 02:24:35 AM »
i recall the old ads at the end of the VHS tapes advertising it heavily. i regret not getting it now as it doesn't appear to have been available on DVD or is part of MPI's current offerings. 

for some reason i thought it had been made AFTER DS had left the air. not during it's run. i assumed it was post-DS work for Louis and Thayer.

glad you enjoyed it!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 03:15:29 AM »
I'm a bit surprised that Marj Dusay was never invited to a Festival screening of this. Last I heard, she was still living in NYC. She is the sole surviving major cast member. (Cal Bellini passed away earlier this year.)
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 05:01:41 AM »
Hi Michael, I think this must be included as an extra on one of the current MPI releases, but I'm not familiar enough with their catalogue to know where to look.

I was watching the night it was first shown in one of those summer failed pilot slots, and it's always had a bit of magic for me.  Sad to know Cal Bellini is no longer with us.

MB, thanks for clarifying that the bust showed up on NoDS.  Great shots!

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:30:24 AM »
I watched it for the first time last night on-line (dailymotion).  The download was a bit choppy, but fine to view.  It would've made a very interesting show.

Gerard

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »
That was a Roman bust? I thought it was Jim Morrison!!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
i recall the old ads at the end of the VHS tapes advertising it heavily. i regret not getting it now as it doesn't appear to have been available on DVD or is part of MPI's current offerings.

It's definitely on DVD, as a bonus feature on the DVD of the 1977 Dead of Night. I had a copy a couple years ago. It can be found on Amazon by searching "dead of night mpi".

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 12:12:14 AM »
I think I remember hearing somewhere that it was Poseidon. Does anyone know for sure?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:03:23 AM »
i'm surprised it's not shown as a fest oddity and is not a fest offering from MPI. the well is pretty dry and they certainly have a captive audience always looking for new material. 
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.