Author Topic: The Great Crash of 2017!  (Read 9025 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The Great Crash of 2017!
« on: September 14, 2017, 03:40:56 PM »
Dear Cousins,

After getting error messages all day yesterday. today I was finally able to log in here.  I had viewed this new location some days ago but there was nothing here except something that I think was written by a robot.

Hope folks can check in on this thread or elsewhere... I feel the need to know I'm not all alone in the Secret Room with the coffin and the candles that never burn out, even after 200 years...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Crash of 2017!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 04:15:24 PM »
You're definitely not all alone because at least Midnite and I are here. Hopefully today things will get back to business as usual while I also slowly get the forum back to its former self...

As I posted in my message at the http://www.dsboards.com/indexse05.html URL, back on Tuesday, after several phone calls to our host I learned that in the wee hours of Tuesday (around 2am ET) they moved the forum from one of their old servers to a new one. However, in the process somehow they managed to lose parts of the forum's database and without those parts the forum will not run correctly, which is why everyone had been getting a fatal error when they tried to visit.

Now, beyond that, there's good and bad news. The good news is that I make backups of the database at least once a month. The bad news is the last time I did one was August 24th, which means 18 days worth of posts are likely to be gone without the ability to recapture them in the form they were in, all thanks to whatever happened when our host moved us. Perhaps they'll show up somewhere from the ether, but lets not count on it. Though it could be much worse - all our posts would be gone forever if it wasn't for my backup. So, just 18 days of posts gone is but a very small fraction of more than 15 years worth of posts.

As I said though, I'll be working on restoring all the old stuff, but first I'm just going to restore some of the latest posts up to August 24th just so that we can get the forum back up and running, which it currently is doing. The 15 years worth of old stuff will trickle in as fast as I can possibly restore it...

You'll also notice that some features, like Spell Check, aren't working yet. That's because they also need to be reinstalled. But one thing at a time...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »
I guess we are all in that same boat.😉😉
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 04:38:39 PM »
I forgot to mention that for some reason it seems like the stay logged in feature doesn't seem to be working. I've had to log in every time I come here...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
Me too. Oh well.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »
It may just be that the forum's old cookie needs to be cleared from our browsers so that it can be replaced by a new cookie - but I haven't tested that theory because there are more pressing things to get done around here.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »
The Midnight Storm theme seems to be working, so at least we can get back to the forum looking the way it should if not completely acting the way it should yet...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 06:36:12 PM »
I also had to log in again even though I checked the Forever box earlier.  Ah well.  It could be much worse.

Lovely to see our home looking more familiar again with the theme and the photos!  And you've posted a gorgeous shot of Grayson from hoDS, too, for today's show!  Awesome!

Oddly, the "Monster Kids" board for Classic Horror Film fans also just had a move, but it seems as if they didn't lose as much.  It sounds as if the people who took care of their move did their homework better than our hosts here did.

I'm very sorry for the losses, but it's fabulous that you have been able to restore so much in such a short time, Mysterioso Darling!  As always, I'm so impressed by the quality you and Midnite make such a foundational part of our experience here.

cheers, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »
present and accounted for after a two day lock out!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »
You'll also notice that some features, like Spell Check, aren't working yet.

Spell Check is working...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 01:39:51 AM »
I've uploaded quite a few more posts. Now things reach back to May '12. But there are still more than 10 years' worth of posts to go...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:43:41 AM »
Thank the gods I found you!

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 07:38:35 AM »
Yesterday (early Thursday morning) my login didn't work.  I thought perhaps I had forgotten my password.  It supposedly sent it, but it never came.  Then, the link stopped working.  I tried it in 3 different browsers and there was an error message.  But a couple of hours later, the link worked again, the password finally worked and I was finally in! 

It looked very different from this - what a pleasure to come back now and see it looking "normal"!!!

P.S.  Thank you, MB, for all the work you do.  It must be a tremendously big project to get this all set up again.  So lucky you have all but a couple of weeks.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 05:23:18 PM »
Our Smiley's are back! And even though it's not fall yet, I've already changed the posting page over to pumpkins. If they can already be selling pumpkins in the local farmer's markets around here, we can have pumpkin smileys.  [hall2_wink]

Plus, the Halloween theme will be showing up in a little over two weeks, so the pumpkins will give us a small taste of what's to come...  [hall2_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 05:40:15 PM »
It just dawned on me that you shouldn't be surprised if a few mods (like the spoiler feature) aren't working at the moment. That's because I haven't reinstalled them yet...  [ghost_nowink]