Author Topic: Original Night Stalker (1972) promo  (Read 844 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Original Night Stalker (1972) promo
« on: August 09, 2005, 04:58:43 PM »
Fans, I was looking for a list of all the early 1970s "ABC Movie of the Week" films (as I've collected a few in recent months and want to start a checklist) and I found this site which includes the original ABC TV promo for Dan Curtis' film Night Stalker:

http://tvparty.com/vaultmov2.html

In the 1991 Dark Shadows series, the growling-fang thing they had Barnabas do seemed much more reminiscent of the vampire in Night Stalker than Barnabas in either the series or the movie (hoDS).

On the above site, you can also see promos for a great Olivia de Haviland vehicle, The Screaming Woman (play the file labelled "When Michael Calls") and other entertaining films of the period.

Last night I watched a stunning role for the great Barbara Stanwyck, Taste of Evil (1971).  Directed by John Llewelyn Moxey (director of Horror Hotel), the cast included Barbara Parkins and Roddy MacDowell.  Stanwyck really devoured the scenery whole in her tour de force finale for this movie.

Too bad so little of this stuff has been commercially released...

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Original Night Stalker (1972) promo
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 06:04:08 PM »
Thanks for the link, Steve. It's a treat to see.

There's a book on the ABC Movies of the week that just hit. Haven't read it yet, but it sounds interesting. It should provide the list you're interested in.

Check it out:

The ABC Movie of the Week Companion

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Original Night Stalker (1972) promo
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 07:43:07 PM »
Thanks for that link, Darren!  I hadn't heard aboiut that book.  It does indeed sound exactly like what I was looking for!

Plus, our own Denise Nickerson wrote a preface for it!  I see that David Hedison also wrote something that is included.  I just saw a horrible bootleg of Curtis Harrington's The Cat Creature (1973), which I got primarily for Gale Sondergaard's extremely "Shadowsesque" performance.  Hedison showed excellent craftsmanship in the climactic scene of the film, which was designed as a tribute to Val Lewton's Cat People and could easily have been even more absurd than it already was, minus Hedison's strong work. (He'd obviously learned a few tricks emoting opposite the bizarre costumes of the Irwin Allen series, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.)

Steve