Author Topic: Grayson Hall and Gay Men  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Grayson Hall and Gay Men
« on: April 07, 2002, 05:11:21 AM »
Julia99 says Why [do] gay men love Grayson so much?  My three closest friends, gay men, all love her. . .Why does she ring our bell?. . .

For me, Grayson is the epitomy of the strong woman (as opposed to the victim), and most of her performances are often "larger than life" -- sometime "camp," but sometimes realistic -- in the same way that performances by Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Carol Channing, and even Judy Garland (and numerous other woman stars) are real and larger than life (and sometimes life is "camp."

I can't give any logical reason why Grayson is a favorite of mine.  Perhaps some others on this board -- gay or straight -- can offer their comments.

Brian

TEStokes

Re: Grayson Hall and Gay Men
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2002, 05:42:51 AM »
I adore her intelligence, I adore her candor, I adore her wit, and I adore it when she occassionally becomes melodramatic.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2002, 07:01:15 AM »
Well let's at least have a few pictures  on this thread. ..    

Julia99

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2002, 09:52:09 AM »
Beautiful pictures, Julia99. Grayson looks lovely. She looked so elegant with her hair up that way too.  :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2002, 02:36:52 PM »
Hard to pinpoint actually. It's kind of like asking why you like Chinese food...you just do!

But part of it I'm sure is because:

1. She's incredibly camp on the show. She delivers the single most campy performance in the entire series. She's also frequently bitchy and snappy which is absolutely hilarious.

2. She commands the screen. She becomes the focus of every single scene she's in, regardless of how it's scripted. She can turn the simple, quiet act of making a phone call a hilarious, dramatic event.

3. She plays Julia, who as we all know, is in love with Barnabas, a man who doesn't love her. Understanding that, she both waits in the wings and settles for being a friend instead. I'm sure many gay men have had the same experience with a girl that's in love with them...and have played the other side of the coin, being in love with a person who is unreachable (ie: not gay) and settling for friendship.

4. She's not a young ingenue- she's middle aged. Kind of in the Agnes Moorehead way. Plus she's not conventionally beautiful. She has fairly exotic features. There's a respect that comes with being successful while not being a Hollywood-type.

5. Ms. Hall was a terrific actress. Her performances were varied and multilayered. Her role in 'Night of the Iguana' is miles away from her roles on DS. The same goes for 'Satan in High Heels' and 'Night of Dark Shadows.' She's campy in DS and Gargoyles because she felt it suited the material, plus they kept encouraging her to play her emotions big. When given film roles, where she would be projected on an 80 foot screen, she knew to downplay her emotions and to have moments of quiet command and subtlety as well. It's this versatility that makes her so fascinating. I'd love to have seen one of her stage performances.
     Someone new to DS might mistake her acting as 'bad,' but it's TV acting, Soap Opera acting. It's a different style, with different demands. That said, when she wanted to go over-the-top, boy, she went!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2002, 03:53:58 PM »
Didn't she play a lesbian in "The Children's Hour" on Broadway?  Not sure.

Gerard

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2002, 06:49:45 PM »
Didn't she play a lesbian in "The Children's Hour" on Broadway?  Not sure.

Gerard

I haven't seen the Children's Hour in her acting credits.  Check out the writeup at:  http://hometown.aol.com/lynn1dave/index.htm  
But her character in Iguana was a repressed Lesbian, that was the crux of the situation.   Her duel with Richard Burton over Sue Lyon.
Julia99

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2002, 07:17:41 PM »

. Her performances were varied and multilayered. Her role in 'Night of the Iguana' is miles away from her roles on DS. The same goes for 'Satan in High Heels' and 'Night of Dark Shadows.!

Enjoyed Darren's post here, as well as J99's pictures.  Although I am neither male nor gay, I just love Grayson Hall.  There is something about her that is just...intriguing.  I understand she didn't particularly enjoy her experience filming either "Satan in High Heels"
or "End of the Road" (about as far away from repressed Dr. Julia Hoffman as you can get, lol), but I (for one) am grateful some of these performances have been preserved on tape.  Since GH was primarily a stage actress, we'll never be able to access most of what she did professionally.  I've seen a few photos of her on stage, wish there were more...

MrsJ.

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2002, 10:21:21 PM »
I think part of Grayson's appeal is in the primary character she played.  Dr. Julia Hoffman was strong, intelligent, open-minded, vulnerable, and unconditionally accepting and protective of someone who constantly feared not being able to fit in.  

The other part of her appeal, based on the few interview tapes of her and stories I've read about her, is that she was, off-camera, a genuinely open-minded, intelligent, witty person.  There seemed to be an adventurous, Auntie Mame kind of spirit about her.  I was impressed with an article written by one of her fan club presidents about how she had given him her home phone number and encouraged him to call her with questions ... COLLECT!  

It seems that anyone could feel "safe" around Grayson, or certainly Julia, but perhaps these aspects strike a chord among gay men.  

Ben
(who regrets that Grayson never lived to attend a Fest -- I think she would have had a blast AND have brought the house down)

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2002, 10:40:14 PM »
Enjoyed Darren's post here, as well as J99's pictures.  Although I am neither male nor gay, I just love Grayson Hall.  There is something about her that is just...intriguing.  I understand she didn't particularly enjoy her experience filming either "Satan in High Heels" or "End of the Road" (about as far away from repressed Dr. Julia Hoffman as you can get, lol), but I (for one) am grateful some of these performances have been preserved on tape.  Since GH was primarily a stage actress, we'll never be able to access most of what she did professionally.  I've seen a few photos of her on stage, wish there were more...

I agree with you 100% mrsJ. I'm also neither male nor gay, but for me Grayson Hall IS Dark Shadows. I loved the show, but I am sure that I would not be still following it after all these years if not for Grayson. And I really don't know why. Even Richard Burton is supposed to have said of her that when she is on screen the audience doesn't look at anyone else.

And I heard David Selby acknowledge at a Fest that there was no one like Grayson: no one looks like her and no one sounds like her. (Although, personally I do think Eileen Heckart came close.)

Thanks, J99, for posing this question.  :)

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline ReneeC

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2002, 04:18:16 AM »
I agree with Bette, I am neither male or gay but Grayson was the greatest, if she would have ever left DS i would have stopped watching even back then when I was 12 years old.  i agree Grayson IS DS.
Renee

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2002, 06:31:16 AM »
Lots of interesting posts about Ms. Hall. ;)

In addition to her work on DS, I have tapes (or DVDs) of her work in NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, SATAN IN HIGH HEELS, END OF THE ROAD, NIGHT GALLERY and GARGOYLES (and I've seen her work in THAT DARN CAT, THE GREAT ICE RIP-OFF and ADAM AT 6 A.M.)  Perhaps the most important aspect of her work to me is that she truly "commits" to the character and situation--i.e., because she believes it, we believe it.

That's the mark of a great actor.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2002, 07:03:20 PM »
Great idea for a topic, and fascinating to read various fans' perspectives on Grayson's multi-faceted, many-layered appeal.  It is always a pleasant surprise to me to see the kind of passion Grayson arouses in her fans.  For a long time, Grayson fans were a kind of "underground" in fandom--for some reason or other, the status quo in fandom tended to laugh at Grayson and her characters rather than adulate or honor her.  It is always remarkable, though, whenever there is an honoring of DS actors who have passed on at a Festival, the kind of ovation Grayson receives whenever a clip of her is shown.  Her fans have a truly passionate loyalty to her memory.

I think of Grayson as bringing another level of "the diva factor" to DS.  There was already a kind of Old Hollywood diva energy on the show with Joan Bennett's presence (just look at the impossibly glamorous costume Liz was given to wear on that first episode).  I wrote somewhere that Grayson may well have been the first Oscar (tm) nominated thespian to perform a regular role on a soap. Even though I think those statuettes are a dubious barometer (at best) for an actor's prowess, there's no denying the kind of prestige placement in the contest commands.  

Some commentators have tried to explain gay men's love of Grayson, and especially Julia, with the rather simplistic explanation that Dr. Julia Hoffman dressed, moved, and wore makeup like a drag queen.  I don't agree, though sometimes the wardrobe and makeup they gave her went way beyond over the top (we need a special topic for "the scary awfulness of Dr. Julia Hoffman's wardrobe").  I think the reasons why gay male viewers relate to Julia is because first of all, nearly ALL of us have been in the position of having to be regarded as a "friend" by a man we'd rather relate to as a lover.  The cluelessness of Barnabas as to Julia's feelings (although he DOES occasionally acknowledge her feels and even more rarely hint that he does reciprocate them deep down) mirrors the cluelessness many of us knew from our str8 best friend that we had some crazy crush on in high school.  I agree too with Brian that sometimes real life is campy.  Hysterically so.  

A friend recently told me a story that illustrates just how Grayson can hold an entire room captivated with her performance, even on "the night of nights."  I had lent a copy of the "Grayson solo" MPI tape to a friend, who then lent it to another friend, who watched it with his housemate, who fell in love with Grayson at first sight.  This was a guy who was posted in Germany during the Sixties and never got to see DS as a result.  Well, T. insisted upon playing this video at the house's Oscar party to all their friends.  This entire roomful of largely gay men were completely absorbed by Grayson's performance.  They did watch the Oscars, but spent a large  part of the evening taking turns doing impressions of Grayson's acting and discussing their favorite moments in her scenes!

All the best, Steve

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2002, 08:32:25 PM »
Great idea for a topic, and fascinating to read various fans' perspectives on Grayson's multi-faceted, many-layered appeal.  It is always a pleasant surprise to me to see the kind of passion Grayson arouses in her fans.  For a long time, Grayson fans were a kind of "underground" in fandom--for some reason or other, the status quo in fandom tended to laugh at Grayson and her characters rather than adulate or honor her.  It is always remarkable, though, whenever there is an honoring of DS actors who have passed on at a Festival, the kind of ovation Grayson receives whenever a clip of her is shown.  Her fans have a truly passionate loyalty to her memory.

I think of Grayson as bringing another level of "the diva factor" to DS.  There was already a kind of Old Hollywood diva energy on the show with Joan Bennett's presence (just look at the impossibly glamorous costume Liz was given to wear on that first episode).  I wrote somewhere that Grayson may well have been the first Oscar (tm) nominated thespian to perform a regular role on a soap. Even though I think those statuettes are a dubious barometer (at best) for an actor's prowess, there's no denying the kind of prestige placement in the contest commands.  

Some commentators have tried to explain gay men's love of Grayson, and especially Julia, with the rather simplistic explanation that Dr. Julia Hoffman dressed, moved, and wore makeup like a drag queen.  I don't agree, though sometimes the wardrobe and makeup they gave her went way beyond over the top (we need a special topic for "the scary awfulness of Dr. Julia Hoffman's wardrobe").  I think the reasons why gay male viewers relate to Julia is because first of all, nearly ALL of us have been in the position of having to be regarded as a "friend" by a man we'd rather relate to as a lover.  The cluelessness of Barnabas as to Julia's feelings (although he DOES occasionally acknowledge her feels and even more rarely hint that he does reciprocate them deep down) mirrors the cluelessness many of us knew from our str8 best friend that we had some crazy crush on in high school.  I agree too with Brian that sometimes real life is campy.  Hysterically so.  

A friend recently told me a story that illustrates just how Grayson can hold an entire room captivated with her performance, even on "the night of nights."  I had lent a copy of the "Grayson solo" MPI tape to a friend, who then lent it to another friend, who watched it with his housemate, who fell in love with Grayson at first sight.  This was a guy who was posted in Germany during the Sixties and never got to see DS as a result.  Well, T. insisted upon playing this video at the house's Oscar party to all their friends.  This entire roomful of largely gay men were completely absorbed by Grayson's performance.  They did watch the Oscars, but spent a large  part of the evening taking turns doing impressions of Grayson's acting and discussing their favorite moments in her scenes!

All the best, Steve

have to agree with all you said about her Steve
on the DS cd i have when she is on the Ron
Barry show you can just tell how much fun she had with the role She is always been one of the reasons I loved the show !

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2002, 09:10:42 PM »
I have a question concerning Grayson Hall..........oh and by the way, I really enjoyed reading the posts here about her.

Are those long eye lashes in the second picture really hers or are they fake?  Maybe she just wore a lot of Mascara ....lol

I'd do just about anything to have long eye lashes like that!!!  :)
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*