Author Topic: Fun with Boxset 8  (Read 925 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Fun with Boxset 8
« on: July 26, 2005, 02:18:34 AM »
So I've been working my way through boxset 8, and as a first time viewer of these episodes I have to say they are absolutely riveting. The scenes between Stokes and Cassandra/Angelique, as well as any scene with John Karlen and Robert Rodan are absolutely fabulous.

John Karlen really shines here. Is this the first time we get to see him really act out some emotion other than being terrified of Barnabas and his intentions towards others? Whatever the change in Willie here it's fantastic. I really felt sorry for him too as he really thought Maggie was coming around to see him at the Old House, and the scene between Willie and Joe outside the Evans Cottage was well done.

As for Stokes and Cassandra, I have to say this is the icing on the cake for me. I *love* Thayer David, he was such a wonderful presence on the show, and to be able to see more scenes featuring the esteemed professor is a real treat. Stokes confronting Angelique during the dream was too much fun. When Casandra walked into the Evans house and saw Stokes still alive... I loved the smirk on Stokes' face and the comment about to her about having "found the original."

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Boxset 8
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:31:41 AM »
The scenes between Stokes and Cassandra/Angelique, as well as any scene with John Karlen and Robert Rodan are absolutely fabulous.

You're slowly getting into what I felt was the tackiest of DS times. Early Adam was OK but as it progresses...anyway, though I wanted to say John Karlen and Robert Rodan were very cool. Poor Robert Rodan is one of the most unappreciated actors on the show and I think he did everything he could with a very wierd character. I liked some of earlier Adam stuff with Willie in the dungeon, like two jealous siblings going at it. It's hard not to be creeped out by Willie teasing Adam with his food. John Karlen could be genuinely unpredictable in his cruelty (because he could also convey vunerability, as well). It's great when the DS writers inserted original, creative and thought-provoking horror amongst their monster ripoffs. It also helped that both JK and RR were daring and sensitive actors.

And Robert Rodan displayed no ego or self-protection as an actor. His hurt cries, looks and even innocence did much for Adam and added a depth that other actors might not have been able to pull off. It's also to his credit that despite how I dislike the Adam story and think it's stupid never do I find Robert Rodan to be laugheable or ridiculous. He had enormous dignity.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 02:12:48 PM »
I agree on Robert Rodan. It's a shame he didn't get to play another character in a different storyline. I thought he was a solid actor, even though I disliked the Adam storyline rather immensely. I would've liked to have seen him in a new role because he had quite a bit of talent, IMO. Though I love John Karlen and was glad to seem him back, to me Willie was severely misused with missed opportunities because of the storyline. Thayer David is a great character actor and Stokes was a nice addition to DS. For me, it's just a case of good actors in a storyline that just comes off silly.

It was slow going with set #8, except for [spoiler]the parts with Trask as a ghost: when he sets up a ghost trial and bricks up Barnabas behind the wall in the Old House basement, and when he goes after Cassandra.[/spoiler] I went through those episodes quickly.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 11:15:15 PM »
 I agree with regards to Robert Rodan's performace as Adam.  He was excellent.  I was in my early teens when I first watched the Adam storyline and really connected with the character in some ways.  On some level, he really represents the misunderstood misfit kid in school - the confused and insecure teen who is persecuted by the other kids for being 'different'.  I really felt for him at times.

I also found it interesting that as Adam's personality develops, he becomes more and more like Barnabas - stubborn, ruthless, passionate and willing to do anything to get his way, but still retaining a good side of sorts.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com