Author Topic: Mrs Johnson's Wig  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Mrs Johnson's Wig
« on: June 20, 2005, 04:42:14 PM »
I wish to announce an important siting of Mrs Johnson's wig, a topic of special significance for the security of our beloved Nation:

Yesterday evening I was watching a 1966 episode of The Addams Family while eating my dinner.  It featured a guest appearance by the magnficent Margaret Hamilton as Morticia's Mom, Granny Frump (that is the character's actual name).  I had not noticed it in previous appearances, but in this show, Granny Frump was wearing Mrs. Johnson's wig!

I quite like to think of Granny posting it to her dear niece, Sarah Johnson, as "something to liven up your social life a bit, dear."  At the end of the episode, Granny appeared with a new hair-do, so she clearly had sent the wig along to greener pastures--what better choice than Collinsport?

Just thought all you fans would want to know.

Best wishes, G.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs Johnson's Wig
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:04:57 PM »
Hi Gothick thanks for the info... And for sharing it.
                     Love Anne
:-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 05:17:31 PM »
Steve, darling.....you are going to be the death of me yet: I'm invariably swallowing a mouthful of tea when I get to your "punchlines". ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:41:18 PM »
thanks gothick,

of all the bizarre things on d.s. mrs.j's wig was the wierdest.i like to think of clarice blackburn arriving at the studio,seeing that damned thing on the block,grimacing slightly but knowing the show must go on! :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 05:53:14 PM »
Yes--apparently, though, Clarice bought the wig herself.  She wore it to her audition, and it basically got her the job.  I don't know whether you have ever seen photographs of Clarice Blackburn leaving the studio, but she was actually a very attractive lady!

Now Rainey, darling, you really ought to know better than to sip tea while reading *my* posts!

xo, Steve

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 06:22:57 PM »
I always found Laura Collins' lip gloss in 1967 to be particularly EEE-rie... it was so shiny and... pastel!

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 06:29:28 PM »
now i wonder...

between the wig under discusion,maggie's various wigs and hairpieces,vicki's fall,elizabeth's wiglet,cassandra's black wig and julia's 1967 piece i wonder if collinsport had a fine ladies wig salon?or did they have to order from eva gabor's catalog? :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 09:05:14 PM »
Now Rainey, darling, you really ought to know better than to sip tea while reading *my* posts!

Don't drink water either...goes everywhere! Steve, you crack me up... :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 02:53:56 AM »
When I first saw the subject line of this thread, I was expecting an announcement that the actual wig worn by Clarice Blackburn was going to be auctioned off at this year's Fest...  ::)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 04:02:39 AM »
You crack me up Gothick. 

I know Clarice Blackburn always wore wigs on the television show, but did she wear one for NODS?  It's been awhile since I've seen it.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 12:54:50 PM »
I don't recall seeing Mrs. Johnson's wig in NODS. I believe the actress who played Mrs. Johnson was married to Dennis Patrick.  Saw him recently in an episode from Dallas on TVLand.

I've been watching the Strange Paradise episodes and the housekeeper, Raxel, wears a Mrs. Johnson wig. Apparently a very in-style hairstyle for houekeepers during that era.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 03:16:08 PM »
Barbara Cason, Dennis P's wife, who played the role in the movie, had a version of the Mrs Johnson "hairstyle" (if that's what it should be called) in House of DS (not NoDS), but I don't know whether they drove out the actual wig that Clarice wore in the role... so far as I know, it was her personal property.

In NoDS, confusingly, Clarice Blackburn did appear, but she played Mrs Castle, and there was a wonderful scene with her (unless I'm hallucinating again) in the missing footage Darren showed at the Festival last year.  You'll all be relieved to learn that she did NOT wear the Mrs J wig in that part--it really would not have looked right on a domestic of 1810.

Hey, Miss Winthrop, I'm a huge fan of Strange Paradise!  How far along on the show are you? They've been running it in Canada on the "Drive-in Classics" channel (unfortunately not available in the US), and they're set to start running it again on July 4, I believe.

G.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 08:35:09 PM »
I could never understand why they never let Clarice use her own brilliant red hair on the show- Abigail and Minerva both had dark hair.  The only time you saw her real hair was in NODS!  Kinda like what happened with Lisa Richards, who had long dark hair and yet was forced to wear short wigs on both the show and in HODS.  But this is nothing new soapwise:  while playing Lily Chernak Donnelly on "Love Is A many Splendored Thing" actress Diana Douglas (Kirk's ex and Michael's mom) had to wear a dowdy wig.  Meanwhile, blonde Laryssa Lauret had to wear her own short dark wig as Dr. Karen Werner on "The Doctors" in the early 70s, at the time Nancy Barrett was in the cast.

And don't forget this all started with that crazy blond "bubble-cut" wig DC forced on KLS as Maggie.  At least he finally came to his senses and let her own auburn tresses shine through after a few shows.