Author Topic: Tonight, at the Movies  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Tonight, at the Movies
« on: June 19, 2005, 03:18:12 AM »
Well, I actually! went to dinner & the movies this evening (my 10yr old daughter & I).
Here are some reasons I was thinking of my cousins:

(First of all,,,hello....COMMERCIALS at the beginning? :o Pepsi, Buick, Gatoraid...oish!!)
Okay...on to the coming attractions, which really made me think of y'all:

One is a movie with Kurt Russell, whose son is going to his alma mater, because? he is a super hero? (And, do I vaguely remember K. Russell in a movie as an action hero??) In a small tiny clip, I saw (at least I think I saw) Linda Carter (wonder woman!!)

Next clip, was the new Lindsay Lohan movie about a certain German car....anyone remember Herbie? This must have been out around the same time as at least the 2nd DS movie..
So, I thought of you all with Linda Carter & Herbie.

BTW...my movie was 'Shark Boy and Lava Girl'. I never heard of it....but...
It was the first 3-D movie I've ever seen

Okay...who here with a loooong memory can remember what 'previews' were shown during either NoDS or HoDS?
Was Herbie out the same time? (I realize there were what, about 3-4 Herbie movies.)

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Online Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight, at the Movies
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 02:38:00 PM »
Gosh, I can't remember what the previews were, but I do remember that for HoDS, the first movie (this was when virtually all movies were "double features") was a western, but I don't recall its name.  When I saw NoDS, it was double-featured with HoDS.  Also, for the matinee showings, it cost a whopping seventy-five cents.  My mother thought that was outrageous, considering that just a couple years or so before, the matinee price for children was thirty-five cents.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 05:45:30 PM »
anyone remember Herbie? This must have been out around the same time as at least the 2nd DS movie..

Well, only if the original Love Bug movie was playing as a co-feature with some new release because it was originally released in '69 and the first sequel didn't come out until '74.

Okay...who here with a loooong memory can remember what 'previews' were shown during either NoDS or HoDS?

I can't remember the previews that ran with hoDS, but I do recall that the coming attraction in the theater I saw NoDS in was for Bunny O'Hare, a comedy with Bette Davis and Ernest Borgnine. (Though the only reason I actually remember that is because it was the last new movie to play at the theater before the clueless and greedy owners tore it down and replaced it with an office building.  >:(  Today that decision is derided as one of the worst that was ever made in the city because the theater was one of those elaborate Art Deco gems (chandeliers, a fountain in the lobby, gold gilding - a stage that had hosted musicals and plays starring some of the biggest names in entertainment from the '40s through to the '70s - and shortly before showing NoDS the theater had played host to Lillian Gish for a retrospective of her films) that many people in the '70s never fully appreciated until after they were lost forever. Even at 15, I couldn't believe they were being so stupid!  ::)  But I digress...)

Was Herbie out the same time? (I realize there were what, about 3-4 Herbie movies.)

See above.  ;)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 08:23:51 PM »
(First of all,,,hello....COMMERCIALS at the beginning? :o Pepsi, Buick, Gatoraid...oish!!)
Okay...on to the coming attractions, which really made me think of y'all:

I loathe the commericals. I like the movie previews because usually there's something coming out that I might want to see, but I can't stand sitting through soda and car commercials. They seem to be adding more and more too.

I was a little over ten years too late to catch the DS movies at the theater. I think the first movie I saw in theaters was The Little Mermaid.  ;)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 08:26:08 PM »
because the theater was one of those elaborate Art Deco gems (chandeliers, a fountain in the lobby, gold gilding - a stage that had hosted musicals and plays starring some of the biggest names in entertainment from the '40s through to the '70s

MB :D mine too!!! With the great exception it wasn't torn down. And, about 7 years ago when Hurricane Floyd was our way, the 'Brook Theatre' again took a big hit. I've heard (and read in the newspaper) that it was being re-renovated, but still in the great style.

Also, I didn't realize at the time, but the Brook Theatre was like a 2nds movie house (I must've seen Willie Wonka and Oliver more than 20 times!)

Patti
What a Woman!