Author Topic: Things not in 1795 i would miss most!  (Read 2652 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Things not in 1795 i would miss most!
« on: April 05, 2002, 09:23:44 AM »
in reading other posts saw a few things mentioned
that would be missed if i went to 1795
Here is my list!
!0. the variety of shoes (that Midnite mentioned)
9.V's secret(unmentionables but they were pretty bad back then no pretty colors!)
8.no epidurals for childbirth(Ick bite a bullet i think not doctor!) (need Dr H to travel back with sedatives)
7.jeans(or dungrees? as we call them here in Boston)
6.my Mercedes(oh don't have that yet just felt like saying it)
5.my bathing suit(Oh don't want to take that out quite yet these 5 lbs left to lose!)
4.modern bathrooms and showers(Also Bath and Beauty
Work's!
3. Malls and shopping(well have to work a lot of OT for that maybe that isn't a plus!)
2.this forum and friends i met on it(you too henry!)
1.Red Sox( the year I got stuck in 1795 would be the year they won the whole thing i just feel it this is our year!!0oh i say that every year  ;D
of course there is more !

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Things not in 1795 i would miss most!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2002, 10:13:10 AM »
Definetely would miss indoor plumbing!! I wonder how often they got to bathe? :-[   Another miss would be the telephone! Good grief, what would I do without that?? Don't watch too much TV, (except for DS) so I could live with that.  Another thing I wondered about is how they stood the heat during the summer months?  ?!? I can't imagine being being here in N.Y in the summer months, dealing with 95 degree temperatures & 100 percent humidy without an air conditioner!! ?!?
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2002, 05:19:47 PM »
Not only heat and humidity, Cassandra, but all those petticoats and heavy skirts.  I don't know how they did it. :P

I would miss transportation.  I work part time with charter bus.  I like to be going places.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2002, 08:06:13 PM »
Great question, jennifer!  You know I'm with you on the shoes.  Manolo Blahnik and Christian Louboutin not even born yet... brrr! ;)  Seriously (???), I'd have big problems adjusting to 1795-- I don't even like to go camping if there's no place to plug in a blowdryer.

I have a question for the fashion history buffs.  How in those days DID they make the fabulous curls a la Millicent or Samantha?

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2002, 08:26:38 PM »
I am with everyone who would miss in door pumbing. I don't camp don't ask me.  This from a former Girl Scout leader.  
I would miss my jeans, T-shirts,
My stero { I need music}
My computer,
Like Jennifer said give me drugs when giving birth
What about birth control--that would be major.  I have four children already, if something had not been done I would most likely have had more and be dead.
Advil--man how did they deal with headaches.
my sneakers
cold drinks--remember no refrigeration
telephone--I would miss gabbing with friends

The list goes on and on.  
Let's see one more thing the grocery store, which I have to visit now.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2002, 12:58:18 AM »
There's so much that I would miss, but a few things would be photographs, electronics, appliances, bathrooms upstairs and downstairs, and my wardrobe which consists mainly of Dickies pants, t-shirts, and tennis shoes.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2002, 01:19:13 AM »
Great question, jennifer!  You know I'm with you on the shoes.  Manolo Blahnik and Christian Louboutin not even born yet... brrr! ;)  Seriously (???), I'd have big problems adjusting to 1795-- I don't even like to go camping if there's no place to plug in a blowdryer.

I have a question for the fashion history buffs.  How in those days DID they make the fabulous curls a la Millicent or Samantha?

Curling irons go waaaaaay back.  To 1795 I'm not sure. . but to the 1800s and early 1900s I'm certain. They were heated over the fire or a lamp and then applied to the hair for curls. . .I've seen some very old ones in fashion history books.  
Julia99

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2002, 01:30:38 AM »
I would miss ACES HIGH online, the interactive WWII combat flight sim. If I don't get to go up at least once a day and shoot down enemy dweebs, I get real antsy. In 1795, it would take a coupla hundred years to log in--almost as bad as having a dial-up connection.

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2002, 01:41:09 AM »
Curling irons go waaaaaay back.  To 1795 I'm not sure. . but to the 1800s and early 1900s I'm certain. They were heated over the fire or a lamp and then applied to the hair for curls. . .I've seen some very old ones in fashion history books.  

Thanks, J99!

Offline The charming Mr. Blair

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2002, 04:05:52 AM »
Jennifer: you had to mention the Rex Sox. You know Barnabas showed up at Collinwood in the summer of 1967. The year Yaz won the Triple Crown and the Red Sox lost the World Seris in seven games to ST. Louis.
Now I wonder if maybe Angelique might of had something to do with that? ?!?
I must go. However, I shalln't be long.
 Good day everyone!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2002, 04:28:52 AM »
Let's see when the power was out, I missed most the:

Heat, food selection, electric lights, tv, internet, video games, hair dryer, music, oh you name it. When I got it back I think I used most all of it at one time! Actually, when it went OFF I had two tvs on, two computers and the video game going! So it is pretty much just how the kids and I live. Only we appreciated it more for losing it....

At least I was able to maintain hygiene, I can't even imagine my hair after a whole winter of not washing it. I think what would be the worst of all would be the poor standards of food, water and hygiene in general. And to not have makeup would be excruciating, though I don't notice Naomi suffering for it!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2002, 04:54:40 AM »
In no particular order . . .

--Electricity
--Central Heating (we went without the above two for four days this winter after an ice storm, and there is nothing romantic about freezing and candles let me tell you)
--The right to vote
--Indoor plumbing
--21st century medicine (we have a history of medicine collection in the library where I work, and frankly, I think you would have been better off trying to cure yourself)
--A career
--Buffy (just kidding :D)
--Being able to legally own property
--The education I've had
--Being able to travel great distances for comparatively little money and little time
--Preston Sturges' films and the fiction of E.F. Benson, Edith Wharton, and Lemony Snicket.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2002, 05:58:21 AM »
Let's see when the power was out, I missed most the:

Oh yeah...the friggin' ice storm and the ensuing power outage....grrrrrr......

had the kerosene heater, that at least kept we humans from freezing to death....dogs didn't mind, what with their huge winter coats.  But until we bought the generator, drying my long hair by the kerosene heater wasn't any fun!  Radio was not a suitable replacement for the TV and was definitely missing DS and Buffy!  Not to mention my computer! Laundry piled up fast since I was wearing 5 layers of shirts!  Plus a hooded fleece jacket with the hood on..I looked like freakin' Kenny from South Park!  When we got the generator, everything was a lot better, except laundry, and at least I had my sister who had power and could go over there!

Yup, I would definitely not like living in 1795, not at all.  I freely admit, I am a spoiled modern woman!

And as far as entertainment...besides no TV or internet...no Dog Shows! No shelties...they didn't come to America until 1917 thereabouts.  Just Foxhounds, Great Danes, and a few others.

Though considering this time of year....one perk would be....NO IRS! ;D

[shadow=teal,left,300]Always, The Very Spoiled Minja[/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2002, 02:57:13 PM »
I cant believe no one has mentioned tooth paste, (funky breath ICK)!

With all this talk about the Red Sox, (a very good team), we must not forget who won it all in '66 the year our favorite show began, (how bout them O's).

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2002, 03:26:13 PM »
Indoor plumbing--the thought of doing my business in a chamber pot, especially at a certain time of the month, grosses me out.  Along the same lines, tampons.  I guess the ladies used rags.  Ewwwww!

Electricity and everything that goes with it--TV, computer, appliances to make a woman's work easier, refrigeration (eating spoiled food probably killed a lot of people back then).  

I sure wouldn't miss corsets.  I bet lots of women perished because they couldn't breathe properly!  

Modern medicine--my diabetic son would apready have perished without insulin.  I guess my husband and I would have, too, without diabetic pills.  Pretty scary to contemplate.

Love, Robin