Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Olympics
« on: June 08, 2005, 01:00:51 PM »
Everytime we here in NY/NJ area turn on news...talk of Jets/Olympic stadium (oyevah enough already).

But this morning, I realized that there were Olympics during '68 (Q man) season.

Off the top of anyone's head, do you know where '68's Olympics were held?

Was DS ever pre-empted for Olympics?

Next...I vaguely remember either Burke or Roger 'promising' to play catch with David (no, I don't believe they actually did).

Were any other sports ever mentioned during DS' run?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Olympics
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:01:28 PM »
But this morning, I realized that there were Olympics during '68 (Q man) season.

They were held in Mexico City between October 12th and 27th. (But that's not off the top of my head - I looked it up.  ;))

Nope. Despite the fact that the Olympics aired on ABC, DS was never pre-empted for them. In fact, some of the most pivotal episodes of the '68 storyline occurred during those two weeks: [spoiler]The plotting to murder Eve, Barnabas learning that Angelique was resurrected as a vampire and her attacks on him, Eve recognizing Jeff as Peter Bradford.[/spoiler]

Next...I vaguely remember either Burke or Roger 'promising' to play catch with David (no, I don't believe they actually did).

The only reference I can recall is when Carolyn came back from horseback riding. But, of course, in that case the horse would have done all the work.  ;)  The Collins family always impressed me as a fairly sedentary lot (well, except while they were trying to murder each other  [lghy]) - and what better sport than one where you can sit the entire time you're taking part in it.  [b003]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 09:36:49 PM »

Wait...this morning...I believe I vaguely remember...weren't horseshoes shown/thrown (specifically, perhaps, during "The" picnic...or, is it FDSMS?)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 10:22:59 PM »
I vaguely remember...weren't horseshoes shown/thrown (specifically, perhaps, during "The" picnic...or, is it FDSMS?)

[hdscrt]  I don't think so.  [idontknow]  However, since posting I remembered that horseback riding was also mentioned a few times during the Summer of '70 storyline. David and Hallie also mentioned going sailing.

Hmmm - sailing - what a surprise the Collinses would also take part in that activity. Not only can you sit while doing it, but you can lounge around getting a tan, too. Another sport that's perfect for them.  [wink2]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 10:39:45 PM »
I believe in the pre-Barnabas episodes that Maggie makes a comment about Joe playing football in high school.

ProfStokes

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 11:55:43 PM »
  Hello Patti,

Off the top of my head... the Olympics for 1968 were held in Mexico City, Mexico.

Dark Shadows was not pre-empted at all... thanks goodness.

Yes! I recall Burke Devlin asking about and taking David fishing up in Nova Scotia to catch big fish, I think it was  huskey's? although  I'm not sure of the name of the fish they spoke of.

The only sports I can recall was fishing, David wanted to go fishing with Vickie out in a small boat at one time.
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)