Author Topic: OT - Frank Gorshin passed away  (Read 839 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
OT - Frank Gorshin passed away
« on: May 18, 2005, 09:02:07 PM »
Sad news...

Batman's Riddler, Frank Gorshin, dead

Talented impressionist played George Burns on B'way

BURBANK, California (AP) -- Actor Frank Gorshin, the impressionist with 100 faces best known for his Emmy-nominated role as the Riddler on the old "Batman" television series, has died. He was 72.

Gorshin's wife of 48 years, Christina, was at his side when he died Tuesday at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, his agent and longtime friend, Fred Wostbrock, said Wednesday.
"He put up a valiant fight with lung cancer, emphysema and pneumonia," Mrs. Gorshin said in a statement.

Despite dozens of television and movie credits, Gorshin will be forever remembered for his role as the Riddler, Adam West's villainous foil in the question mark-pocked green suit and bowler hat on "Batman" from 1966-69.

"It really was a catalyst for me," Gorshin recalled in a 2002 Associated Press interview. "I was nobody. I had done some guest shots here and there. But after I did that, I became a headliner in Vegas, so I can't put it down."

West said the death of his longtime friend was a big loss.

"Frank will be missed," West said in a statement. "He was a friend and fascinating character."

Gorshin earned another Emmy nomination for a guest shot on "Star Trek."

In 2002, Gorshin portrayed George Burns on Broadway in the one-man show "Say Goodnight Gracie." He used only a little makeup and no prosthetics.

"I don't know how to explain it. It just comes," he said. "I wish I could say, 'This is step A, B and C.' But I can't do that. I do it, you know. The ironic thing is I've done impressions all my life -- I never did George Burns."

Gorshin's final performance will be broadcast on Thursday's CBS-TV series "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Frank Gorshin passed away
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 10:36:05 PM »
     The old "Batman" show was probably my other top favorite show when DS originally ran. One of the three pictures I have had taken with noted actors I keep on my desk at work is a photo I took with Frank, wearing my homemade "Riddler" outfit. (Sorry, I don't have a scan available.) Great guy who was genuine, not fake nice with fans. Seemed to really appreciate the interest. My favorite of the TV villains, although I was very fond of Julie Newmar as well. (Actually, much the same can be said of her as being fan-friendly and sincere.) I was always hoping to run into Frank again at a show, but now he has been released from Earth's Arkham. One of a kind guy! Another childhood icon gone...

Michael  :'(
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 12:29:12 AM »
Let's not forget that Gorshin played opposite Grayson Hall in That Darn Cat;)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 12:33:13 AM »
I'm sad that Frank Gorshin has passed away.  I loved "Batman", and The Riddler was my favorite character.
I liked him in that movie "Where the Boys Are" too.  
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 10:11:35 AM »
OMG!!  I am surprised and saddened to hear of Frank Gorshin's death. [cryg]  His Riddler character was my favorite villian on "Batman" -  I loved his performance in the classic "Star Trek" episode, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"  - and he was an excellent impressionist. [thumb] Another death at a relatively young age due to smoking - lung cancer, and especially emphysema, are both caused from smoking. [rleyeg]  I regret that I never got to see him in person.  He will be missed. [sadg]

----- Sally -----

[bawl]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 01:46:30 PM »
I didn't know Frank GorShin passed away.   He shall be missed.
                      Love Anne
:'(
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow