Author Topic: Mysteries and Myths of the Supernatural at Salve  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Mysteries and Myths of the Supernatural at Salve
« on: April 27, 2005, 08:50:31 PM »
The week's edition of the Salve Regina University newsletter, Mosaic, has a very interesting article detailing the supposed supernatural history of Carey Mansion/Seaview, the original DS' Collinwood. Check it out!  ;)

The notice I received from Salve for the article says that subscription/registration to the site is required. However, I don't recall ever subscribing to the site on this computer and I was able to access the article without any problems.

(Unfortunately, the picture of Carey Mansion is backwards. But, hey, even DS managed to switch the slides of the house around from time to time.  [wink2]
Also, ever since watching the '91 series and its use of the Tudor style Greystone, I've thought that the exterior of another Salve mansion, Wakehurst, could easily work as Collinwood. And after reading about its supernatural history, I think so even more.  ;)  See what you think.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Mysteries and Myths of the Supernatural at Salve
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 09:01:54 PM »
Thanks, MB. I accessed the article without having to set up a subscription to the site.

I thought that picture showed Collinwood in Parallel Time?  (my little joke)

I once visited the mansion with a strongly psychic friend, and he's convinced that there are Presences in that house.

G.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 10:11:51 PM »
Cool MB - that was an interesting read!

You'd just figure that a house that looks like the Carey Mansion would have to be haunted, and from what the article was saying, apparently it is.  Wakehurst is very haunted looking too, and would make a wonderful 'new' Collinwood, if they ever decided to do DS again.

Really want to visit Newport one of these days.  BTW, for those cousins who have made the pilgrimage, is there an odd disconnect visiting the Carey Mansion, given that the interiors don't mesh with what we fans have come to think of as Collinwood?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:25:39 PM »
Cool article!

Two friends and I were allowed inside the "circle room" in 2001 shortly before it opened as a dorm room.  I can't recall that anything unusual occurred during that visit, but a couple of years earlier a door slammed shut behind another forum cousin as we toured the top floor of the mansion.  All the windows were closed, and we got the impression that someone or some thing didn't like that he'd just been inside that other room.

Anyway, this photo of the circle room, aka the tower room, showed up a while back in the Members' Archives, but since the board is temporarily closed and newbies might enjoy a peek inside, I thought I'd post it here:

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 02:52:12 AM »

Thanks for posting the link and the picture of the circle room.  I live about 40 minutes from there, and have been to the Carey manison a few times, but I've never gone inside.  Gothick, did your friend go into any detail about the presences they felt?  I'm curious.

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Julia99

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Article on haunted Collinwood (Salve Regina U)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 04:45:19 PM »
Buck up, Honey, so what, if your eyelashes are batting zero this week?  ;)

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 06:33:55 PM »
i'm confused.. .
Julia99

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 07:10:38 PM »
MB, reported the article two days ago.

Sorry to confuse.

dom

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 04:52:26 AM »
The part about the bouncing ball being heard in the Watts-Sherman Annex reminded me of Sarah Collins...

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 10:18:28 PM »
Really want to visit Newport one of these days.  BTW, for those cousins who have made the pilgrimage, is there an odd disconnect visiting the Carey Mansion, given that the interiors don't mesh with what we fans have come to think of as Collinwood?

I think the "disconnect" is not only that the interiors don't match, but that you are also in a residential/campus area rather than some isolated hilltop away from town. Its really close up on other residences. Even the driveway isn't far off the street. For fun I had my wife recreate the famous "Vicki running down the lawn" shot. (You can see Vicki's photo on the Pink Card series.) A good way to get the feel of the place is on the Dark Shadows Special Edition DVD where Nancy gives a tour of locations. It's really quite a big structure, and I wonder how long the pool has been there. While the house is close to the bay, its not as high as it would appear on the show. I'm not sure where the breakers and rocks from the credits were shot, but it could have been nearby. The sea walk along the bay side of the homes is quite the thing misty sea dreams are made of.

Nonetheless, it was one of the best trips I've ever been on. The entire town is awesome in the true meaning of the word, not the way its usually thrown around. The collection of mansions is incomparable anywhere. They have an excellent ghost walk at night, and for other ghost chasers, the evening tour of the Tudor home Belcourt Castle is a must. I definitely felt multiple spirits there.              [ghosty][ghosty][ghosty]

Michael

[Ghost00]

PS Salem (MA) is worth the trip too!
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 06:25:44 AM »
PS Salem (MA) is worth the trip too!

Yes ideed.  In addition to windwept Newport mansions and Salem witches, if you want some more creepy New England action there's:

* The Lizzie Borden House in Fall River, MA (which is now a bed and breakfast!! :o
 http://www.lizzie-borden.com/) - BTW, drop me a line if anyone here winds up going there, since I'm not too far away from there).

* The old Danvers Massachusetts State Mental Hospital - This is the place Lovecraft based his mental asylum on, and in turn, the comic-book writers based Batman's Arkham Asylum on.  It's abandoned and really creepy-looking - http://ramseursdanversstatehosp.com/

* You can visit Rhode Island vampire Mercy Brown's grave at RI Historical Cemetery No 22 in Exeter, RI on Route 102.  Yes folks, in the late 1800's they exhumed Mercy Brown and burned her heart because they believed she was a vampire.

New England is kind of like the "Transylvania" of the United States.

~Penny Dreadful~

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 12:49:02 AM »

Quote from: PennyDreadful
You can visit Rhode Island vampire Mercy Brown's grave at RI Historical Cemetery No 22 in Exeter, RI on Route 102.  Yes folks, in the late 1800's they exhumed Mercy Brown and burned her heart because they believed she was a vampire.

??I've never heard of her...
so here's a google..:

http://www.ghostvillage.com/legends/2003/legends20_06142003.shtml
Patti
What a Woman!