Author Topic: Robert Farnon, 1917 - 2005, composer of Josette's Theme (first version)  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Today's LA Times has an obituary for the composer of the first version (pre-1795) of "Josette's Theme":

Robert Farnon, 87; Composer and Arranger for Movies, Pop and Jazz

[Free] registration is required to view the online article and photo.

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
Today's LA Times has an obituary for the composer of the first version (pre-1795) of "Josette's Theme":

God, you're good, Midnite. I saw that obit, but didn't read it and had no idea he had a DS connection. Do you read EVERY obit?   >:D

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
 [lghy]  Bette knows I always look at the obituaries.  I'm morbid.

Farnon's obit takes up like 2/3 of the page yet it doesn't mention that he wrote themes for The Prisoner :(, much less his DS association.  But I recognized the name.  ;)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood

That's sad news.

I remember noticing that the early Josette's theme was different from the later version.  I wonder why they had Farnon compose it originally instead of Cobert?

I hope Farnon's version will be included in MPIs CD music box set when they release it.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I remember noticing that the early Josette's theme was different from the later version.  I wonder why they had Farnon compose it originally instead of Cobert?

I hope Farnon's version will be included in MPIs CD music box set when they release it.

Hi, PennyDreadful.

Farnon didn't write it for DS.  I've never heard the reason it was replaced with Cobert's new but similar theme after the story shifted to 1795, but perhaps once it became evident that the music box theme would be used again in that storyline, Curtis preferred to not have to continue paying a royalty each time.

IIRC, Farnon's version is heard on DS for the last time during the Dream Curse.  I think Sybil Weinberger simply grabbed the wrong cue.

Because the rights to the first version were owned by Farnon, it's not on any of the DS albums.  Farnon's version can also be heard in a Prisoner ep, btw, that was broadcast the same year it showed up on DS.  But it's not on any of the Prisoner soundtracks either, though other compositions by him are.

I remembered coming across a fan page a few years back that had both versions and offered to try to find it for Bette.  I'm amazed that it's still up, and that it works.  This was put together by DS fan Graeme Cree.  Enjoy!--

http://members.aol.com/graemecree/josette.htm

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Thanks for posting the link Midnite!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
     I never heard the two melodies side by side.  I like the first version better.  It sounds like a real music box melody.  Of course, the melody gets over-played during Maggie's kidnapping.  Which melody is on the music box that was sold by MPI?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Which melody is on the music box that was sold by MPI?

Cobert's.  His "Josette's Theme" is the official version.

I prefer the first one too, and for the same reason.

Offline ds78

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I agree, both versions are wonderful but the first had a much more haunting quality to it.

Apparently, Farnon had no idea they were using the tune on the show during the run. I think it was during the shows syndication or home Video released that he did. He also saidhe never recieved a royalty check for it's use on DS.  This dispells the rumor that when Farnon "found out" it was being used  and asked for his rightful royalty's  Dan Curtis told Cobert to compose his own theme.  It's more liekly that Robert C. realized it was not a composition of his and wrote the new one.  It's a great tune and has the same feel as the Farnon version.

The oriiginal tune was part of the Farnon songbook. It was released on a series of farnon albums(sometime in the late 50's/early 60;s)and simply called "Music Box".  Another fan and myself have been searching for the album for years, in order to have a clean cut of the track. Incidentally the song itself is about 3 minutes long .  Sybil just looped the first 26  seconds or so for the music box.

I hoped against hope, that it would be released on "The Prisoner" cd but no such luck. If it were to be relased with DS music , MPi would merley have to pay the Farnon estate a royalty fee.