Author Topic: OT - "Forever Knight"  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT - "Forever Knight"
« on: April 03, 2002, 03:41:36 AM »
I was excited to see that SciFi is now airing "Forever Knight."  I used to catch it late-nights when it originally aired on one of the major networks some years ago.  At that point, I had never had cable, so I hadn't seen DS as an adult (except for half a dozen episodes I saw whilst living in California, when it was airing on a PBS station).  Consequently, I was "vampire-starved," and "Forever Knight" got my blood rushing ...

As I viewed most of the episodes yesterday (having returned home early because of a snowstorm, and having made it without serious harm despite my car sliding down a hill sideways ... followed by another car that came down backwards ... a near-miracle that we didn't hit any other vehicles) I found it not quite as good as I had remembered ...

It seemed to me that the last episode that aired in the chain-reaction was the best, which showed how Lacroix had become a vampire in ancient Egypt (was this pre-Anne Rice?), and I found that episode especially good because you learned more about the AMBIVALENT (my favorite word lately) relationship between Nick and Lacroix.

Does anyone know whether these were the first 12 episodes of the series?  I haven't seen the first episodes yet that SciFi aired yesterday, but have it all on tape.

:o

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT - "Forever Knight"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 07:06:55 PM »
Hi Vlad,

I hope you persist with Forever Knight.  Last time Sci Fi did a "Chain Reaction" for the show, they only ran episodes from the rather tawdry, gimcrack 3rd season. At that point, the series was no longer being run on CBS; it had been picked up by USA, and they made some rather unfortunate changes (#1 on my list being that they fired Deborah Duchene who played Nick's old vamp flame Janette--they did bring her back for one episode, but it WASN'T enough).  

Since the episode you mention that explains the origin of Lacroix is from the 3rd season, I suspect that this is what they showed on Monday.  The first 2 season shows are MUCH better in my opinion, though I do enjoy some of Season 3, especially the episodes with Divia and the ones with Ben Bass who is very easy on the eyes.

I think Lacroix started out as a rip-off of Lestat from Anne Rice, but the fabulous Nigel Bennett made the character a much more intricate, complex creation.  I just love his scenes with Geraint Wyn Davies, the chemistry between the two is superb.  Really crackling.  The fact that the Nick character is being helped by a feckless woman medic who's fallen for him bigtime and is trying to cure him is reminiscent of a certain other show we all love...

Best,  Steve

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2002, 08:49:22 PM »
I caught only a couple of the episodes shown on Monday, neither of which I'd seen before-- one was the first eposode, and the other was about a Valentine's Day killer and from the 2nd season.  So it seems they showed  a sampling of the 3 seasons, and I liked what I saw but have no idea what criteria they used to select them.

The Valentine's ep reminded me most of DS since Nick found he had to hide his love for the doc in order to save her from death.

If Mark Branson (fan fic writer extraordinaire) happens to read this thread, I'm sure he can tell you more about the series since he used to watch the show in earnest.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2002, 03:31:08 AM »

The fact that the Nick character is being helped by a feckless woman medic who's fallen for him bigtime and is trying to cure him is reminiscent of a certain other show we all love...

Not to mention that Nick, like Barnabas, is a reluctant vampire with a conscience, and, further (above and beyond Barnabas?), is trying to redeem himself.  

I wonder if Barnabas Collins was the very first, original [shadow=red,left,300]tortured, angst-ridden[/shadow]vampire?

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2002, 07:35:04 AM »

(snip)
I wonder if Barnabas Collins was the very first, original [shadow=red,left,300]tortured, angst-ridden[/shadow]vampire?

No, he's actually not.  Maybe on television, but not from the vampire genre or even from film.

The honor for first reluctant vampire, IIRC, goes to the turkey of 18th/19th century literature, "Varney, the Vampire" (I could be wrong here on the title--it's been a long day).  

As for film, I can think of a couple of possibilities, the chief being Gloria Holden in Dracula's Daughter

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2002, 07:58:05 AM »
Oh, Excellent reference Luciaphil!!  Dracula's Daughter was absolutely the MOST reluctant vampire (in the beginning, anyway)...and that movie was produced in....what? 1936?...1938?

Now if you want to critique costumes, THAT'S the film for it....those 1930's gowns were to die for...and the cape that just floats over the ground in the opening sequence where she burns her old man!!  I was about 16 the first time I saw that movie and would have killed for that cape!!  I don't think anyone ever wore anything that sexy on DS.

My husband went in search of that classic several years ago, and found it just in time for Halloween!...which proves you can find ANYTHING in Manhattan if you look hard enough!! LOL

Raineypark

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Nancy

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2002, 08:22:06 AM »

No, he's actually not.  Maybe on television, but not from the vampire genre or even from film.

The honor for first reluctant vampire, IIRC, goes to the turkey of 18th/19th century literature, "Varney, the Vampire" (I could be wrong here on the title--it's been a long day).  

As for film, I can think of a couple of possibilities, the chief being Gloria Holden in Dracula's Daughter

Luciaphil

John Carradine played a vampire who wanted out of the fang business. I believe that was in the film House of Dracula.   In the 1931 version of "Dracula,"  when first meeting and talking with the ladies at the opera, Count Dracula opined during the discussion, "To be really dead, that would be glorious" (or words to that effect).  That indicates to me that the vampire didn't necessarily his existence was all that great.  There was a side to him that realized that.  It has been many years since I read the book so I don't know if that was part of Bram Stoker's original dialogue or not.

When you think about it, most of the so-called great "horror" characters were all out for one thing: love and/or companionship.  Dracula didn't just want any woman, he had a specific woman he wanted which indicates to me there was some kind of longing present; the Frankenstein monster - he wanted acceptance and love and people initially turned away from him even before he had killed anyone.   The creature in "The Mummy" was protecting the tomb of his beloved (he went to great lengths for her in real life too) and wanted to recreate her in life.
Poor Larry Talbot sprouted hair as The Wolfman and no matter how hard he tried, it kept on happening.  That situation isolated him from having any meaningful relationships.   In some variations on the werewolf theme in latter years, the creature was stopped in its tracks by a real life person he loved as a human.  
Remember, I'm only talking about the motivations and underlying needs of these characters and not justifying what they do to  accomplish the goal.

In fact, there are human beings who have done far worse things than any of these "monsters."

Already in this 1795 period, Barnabas has tried to find a way to end his life as a vampire
(so stand out in the sun, dummy)The character of Barnabas was part of its time.  Look at the villains we had in the late 1950s and 1960s in the movies.  People liked the bad boy with the tender heart - the rebel or anti-hero they were called.  Women also loved the James Bond types for their charm and manners.   Barnabas was a combination of the two, plus an alienated being (which teens really identified with in the 1960s particularly).  The possibilities for such a character wwas made clear on DS.  The character of Barnabas supposedly influenced Ann Rice in writing "Interview with the Vampire" though I have yet to read where she specifically notes that in any interview.  I'd like to read it.

Rant over.

Nancy

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2002, 04:30:28 AM »

That indicates to me that the vampire didn't necessarily his existence was all that great.  There was a side to him that realized that.  It has been many years since I read the book so I don't know if that was part of Bram Stoker's original dialogue or not.

To the best of my memory, Count Dracula in Stoker's novel was pure evil with no redeeming qualities.

Wish I had time to watch both DS and "Forever Knight," but I don't think that's possible.  Hope to catch an episode now and then from my daily DS taping, though.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2002, 07:22:38 PM »

Luciaphil

You can read the actual story of "Varney, the Vampire" at:

http://varney.50megs.com/varney/Group01.htm

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe