Author Topic: DS Addiction  (Read 3913 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: DS Addiction
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 12:35:08 AM »
my friends and family totally know about the addiction.anyone who has been in my apartment and seen the pile-up of video tapes would have to notice.my building superintendant has even commented.

it's actually a source of some amusement with my co-workers.i've tried to get some friends into it.they watch a few episodes,claim to "like it",but that's the end of it.it takes a certain level if commitment to truly become involved.

but having people know about my addiction has worked out in my favor several times because if friends catch cheap d.s. items at junk-shops and tag-sales they often get them for me.that's how i came to own n.o.d.s. on video and several marilyn ross novels.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 02:52:54 AM »
Why is wanting to be involved in a fandom any more bizarre than that kind of fan activity?

The typical answer offered in published work on media fandom is that those events are perceived as being "real" as opposed to fictional. I've had students in class discussions insist on the same thing.

The problem with that argument is that sporting events are a tightly regulated form of "reality. The rules that dictate a sport are somewhat analagous to the conventions that govern a piece of fiction, and, ultimately, though we set aside time to find out whether or not Boston will end "the Curse" or to discover who shot J.R., neither of those events has much impact outside the realm of pop culture.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005, 03:20:25 AM »
If anyone trifles me about my DS addiction, I just whack them upside the head with my trusty Don Briscoe Mousepad.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 07:18:57 AM »
Maybe I'm not the only one, but have any of your friends/family thought that you had some sick obsession with the occult or the dark side because you happen to like DS? My family seems to think that since I like to watch DS, watch fan-made videos of DS, and post on these DS boards that I have "some sick obsession with the occult or the dark side." :(

Oh yes, ditto here.  I get all the time how I've this show is so occult and blah blah blah.  I don't think they know much better.  They live in their ignorance.  If they acutally watched the show instead of just fearing the show, they might realize it's a TV show that can be creepy, tell a good story every now and then, give me a really good belly ache from time to time, and has some really hot actors.  And, hot is what it's all about. [firedevil]

Offline bluedog

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2005, 12:00:47 PM »
My best friend knows I watch it but that's about it.  Dark Shadows has been mentioned in passing & everyone remembers it fondly but they don't have a desire to rewatch it.  To them its just a pleasant childhood memory.  I've taped it from the sci/fi channel & now I'm buying the DVDs.   :-*  I haven't watched it lately so I'm looking forward to doing that. Plus, I like to paint while I'm listening to it in the background.  For a long time I couldn't paint unless DS was on. :-[

And I can remember the religious zealots making a fuss over it.  In fact, I think DS was pulled before it ended because of the controversary.  So I was delighted to find the tapes at the video store.  I watched the series 5 times and there at the end the workers at the video store would comment on my watching it so often.  Now I have my own copy and don't have to deal with their petty remarks. :D

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 11:46:05 PM »
No, to the 'occult'; again my kids are 1990s, so a cheesy bat on a string...ya know?

Yes, my co-workers raz me a little bit, especially when I'm wearing my beautiful shirt designed by Castlebee.

My husband will telephone sometimes and say, "Hello, this is Quentin". (This is usually reserved for when he realllllllly is hoping to get lucky :P ).

My kids think I'm weird...but this is the closest to a 'hobby' as I've ever had, so oh well.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005, 03:12:35 PM »
Funny, don't remember being made fun of because of DS obsession.  My friend and I didn't really know much of anyone who watched the show and we didn't feel a need to discuss it or bring it up with others.  Family members didn't pay much attention but were quite accepting.  My mother would sometimes have a cup of tea ready for me when I got home from school 'cause I always had a cup of tea in front of the show.  It was a bummer when they moved the time slot from 4:00 to 3:30 'cause no matter how fast I ran, I couldn't make it from the bus stop into the house before 3:42 -- no time to make tea!  Also very frustrating because you had to wait for the TV to warm up and the picture to come on.  You could hear the sound but couldn't see ole Barn for at least 15 - 20 seconds.  LOL

Actually, our mothers were pretty cool about the whole thing.  I remember one time when Jonathan Frid was on the Dick Cavett morning show.  We were allowed to ditch school that day in order to watch it.  Quite an occasion!  My friend slept over and we watched it together and taped it.  (Audio tape of course - no such thing as a VCR back then).

;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2005, 10:19:06 PM »
     I have tried to get my husband and sons involved but to no avail.  However, no one makes fun of me.  My husband even reads MB's info on computers so maybe if MB slips DS stuff into his technical stuff we can reel him in that way.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 12:43:11 AM »
     I have tried to get my husband and sons involved but to no avail.  However, no one makes fun of me.  My husband even reads MB's info on computers so maybe if MB slips DS stuff into his technical stuff we can reel him in that way.

Onyx Treasure...my husband too! He has no desire for DS, but, he will read questions I ask to MB...!
[cheer]    [cheer]   [cheer]
Thanks o Great & Noble MB...

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 10:38:08 PM »
My husband even reads MB's info on computers so maybe if MB slips DS stuff into his technical stuff we can reel him in that way.

Maybe I'll try that for you.  [b003]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 10:58:52 PM »
Oh, I simply revel in my chosen role as a sick freak obsessed with the occult, the dark side, and Grayson Hall's culinary adventurousness.

If anybody tries to hassle me about it, I pull out this little wax doll I always carry and a black pin and say something like "You know what your problem is?  You have too much time on your hands.  Well, that can be remedied...  but perhaps not as you would have chosen."  By this time I'm cackling quietly with this really demented look in my eyes, and the poor imbecile is whimpering as he crawls towards the nearest exit.

I find that that stifles any adverse comment quite efficiently...

G.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 12:20:05 AM »
Oh, I simply revel in my chosen role as a sick freak obsessed with the occult, the dark side, and Grayson Hall's culinary adventurousness.

[hello]

(oops...Mr. Obsessed-With-The-Dark-Side Gothique HATES smilies)

:-*
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 06:38:11 AM »

LOL... People up at school refer to her as "that face I draw." Me obsessed? Phht...

If anybody tries to hassle me about it, I pull out this little wax doll I always carry and a black pin and say something like "You know what your problem is? You have too much time on your hands. Well, that can be remedied... but perhaps not as you would have chosen." By this time I'm cackling quietly with this really demented look in my eyes, and the poor imbecile is whimpering as he crawls towards the nearest exit.

But on what part of the anatomy are you sticking that poor doll, Steve? *Grin*
Sigh...Oh, if I only had a little wax doll years ago... ;) You will lend make me one for a mometary fee, woncha hon? Make it a crafty event...  ;D

I find that that stifles any adverse comment quite efficiently...

Sounds like a plan to me - LOL. Most of the people in my family don't mind my obsession, but most everyone else in the area thinks I'm nuts. I've always been a misfit, so...oh well. But I know I'll never forget the look on a former instructor's face when he said: "You watch THAT show??!"  ::)

Anyway, My Julia doll hits people over the head with her oversized medallion when they get out of line...a hypo big enough for a dozen, her sleeks boots are ready for any ass-kicking if need be, and her slapping hand is always at the ready. Now if I only had a Barn or a Tom/Chris doll, things could get real interesting...  >:D

(oops...Mr. Obsessed-With-The-Dark-Side Gothique HATES smilies)

But we're SPECIAL, Connie...that makes it okay... right hon? LOL  :-*

Tired hugs,

Heather

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »
But we're SPECIAL, Connie...that makes it okay... right hon? LOL  :-*

Who knows?  [idontknow]

Too many smilies might prompt him to take out one of his wax dolls.  LOL
Then again, perhaps some of us obsessed colleagues are exempt from his dark ways.   >:D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2005, 03:45:24 PM »
You two are on the way to being seriously disciplined with "frenetic" whipping with the Julia-medallion...

chuckling indulgently,

G.