Author Topic: Changing Times...No More VHS  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Changing Times...No More VHS
« on: June 14, 2005, 01:15:52 PM »
The main business news on this a.m.'s news was that after Christmas, Walmart will no longer be carrying VHS tapes (the news stated just like the other retailers are doing).

I wonder if this will lead to cheaper prices on recordable DVDs and WHEN OH WHEN will 'they' air DS again for us to tape/record?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Times...No More VHS
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 04:57:04 PM »
The main business news on this a.m.'s news was that after Christmas, Walmart will no longer be carrying VHS tapes (the news stated just like the other retailers are doing).

cnn.com is reporting that Walmart is denying that report.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/14/news/fortune500/walmart_vhs/index.htm?cnn=yes

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 05:08:31 PM »
I wonder if this will lead to cheaper prices on recordable DVDs

Recordable DVDs aren't particularly expensive, especially when they're bought in bulk. For instance, name brands such as Philips, HP, and TDK offer packs of 50 8X DVD+R or DVD-R that sell for $25. That's 50 cent a disc! 50 4X packs from those same brands sell for only $12, which is only 24 cents a disc! And even the pricier brands like Memorex offer packs of 50 16X DVD+R discs for $45, which is only 90 cents a disc!! When was the last time anyone saw a high quality blank VHS tape that sold for only 90 cents or under?!

WHEN OH WHEN will 'they' air DS again

Some day when we least expect it. That seems to always be the way it works out. I mean, who would have ever thought that DS would have been the first program the Sci-Fi Channel would have purchased the rights to run?  ;)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 02:13:05 AM »
Wow Bette ;) thanks!! (sounds like some reporters at CBS, NBC and ABC didn't do their homework).

But, between you, me & the post button, do we really think they'll be around that much longer?

Oh well. And MB, I wasn't clear, I shouldn't of said recordable DVDs, I should've said the machines that record onto DVDs.

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 02:14:59 AM »
WHEN OH WHEN will 'they' air DS again
Some day when we least expect it.

Tomorrow? I can always hope. XD

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 05:28:13 PM »
I wasn't clear, I shouldn't of said recordable DVDs, I should've said the machines that record onto DVDs.

Well, the prices for those have already fallen quite a bit. They started out being $400 or more, but nowadays, if one shops around for good deals, one can easily find excellent DVD recorders for $200 and below (well, if they don't include Tivo). In fact, between $179 and $149 seems to be a common price range (and even cheaper prices can be found if one looks for sales). And while VCR recorders can sell for as little as $50 nowadays, that's mostly because VHS is on it's way out and manufactuers are dropping prices dramatically in an effort to unload them before the bottom of the VCR market actually does fall out. I wouldn't expect to see a $50 DVD recorder anytime in the foreseeable future. Well, unless it's a piece of crap...or at the very best, very low end (meaning it's still pretty much a waste of money).

Of course, another alternative is a DVD burner for your computer. One can easily find excellent name brand (Sony, NEC, Memorex, HP, Pioneer, etc.) burners for under $100, particularly whenever rebates are involved. The cost of burners is much less because there's no need to include any of the electronics that are already present in a computer. And often times burners come with software that allows one to do far more sophisticated things with video than are possible with even the priciest DVD recorders.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 09:05:06 PM »
But a DVD burner on my computer wouldn't help unless DS was online, right? (if I'm following your line of thinking oh great one 8) )

Patti....$200 is still out of range....especially since I still don't know what size is up on a non-pictured DVD/CD :-[

What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 09:20:30 PM »
But a DVD burner on my computer wouldn't help unless DS was online, right?

No, DS wouldn't have to be online. With the right sort of software, anyone can save video onto their computer's hard drive and then burn it to a DVD later.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 03:09:55 AM »
I saw a report on CNN tonight in which they mentioned WalMart as well as Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target.  However, it turned out they were talking about pre-recorded tapes.  I wonder how much longer blank tapes will last.  I recently bought a combination VCR-DVD player and there were problems with the first one.  I thought my old tapes might be the problem and bought a 10 pack and then a 6 pack.  Once I go through everything I have and figure out what's what, I should have a lot of blank ones available, but I wonder if I should buy some more now to be ready for when they're gone.
Josette