Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--"It's not the men in my life,  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--"It's not the men in my life,
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2002, 03:03:56 AM »

My understanding of Crothers' situation was that he eventually left the series under his own steam.  I don't know the show's history as well as some of the others here, of course, but if they lost the guy because they weren't willing to give him a little room to stretch his acting wings, than it's a damn stupid move.  This was a guy who'd proved he was capable of more, after all.

From what I've read, Crothers was simply tired of playing Nice Guy Joel Haskell. This is understandable after being given the opportunity to play a real scoundrel like Nathan Forbes - how disappointing it must have been for him to go back to a much less colorful character (but then, didn't they all?)

Apparently when Crothers heard about the new character of Quentin he asked Dan Curtis if he could play the part. Curtis said "No" and Crothers left to be on Somerset, and later graduated to Secret Storm and finally Edge of Night. Ironically, he ended up playing Nice Guys like Joel Haskell on all of those other shows too!

I think Crothers would have been better off sticking with DS. No doubt he would have had other chances at playing varied roles in 1897, parallel time, 1840, etc.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2002, 07:22:32 AM »

Hello Luciaphil! I'm new here and just discovered your "columns." Wonderful stuff! You and Robin are both very talented.

Welcome, Chris  :)  Robin's Robservations are great, aren't they?  

About Millicent's dress - this is the same dress Carolyn wore when she dressed up as Millicent in the present day and went to the costume party at the Old House. Although that episode was in black and white, I went back and inspected it. At least the costumers had SOME consistency!

Oh my God, you're right!  I had forgotten all about that.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2002, 06:43:20 PM »
To Chris, re Joel Crothers,

Back in the archives of the old Board, someone had posted this very interesting magazine interview that was done with Joel in 1969.  In the interview he gave several reasons for why he had left Dark Shadows.  I honestly think it was a combination of things, plus maybe he wanted a little more money and he got that with his next job.  I'm not sure about that.  Anyhow, it is a very interesting interview; among other things, he discusses the scripts he wrote while he was on the show.  I think this interview may be the only print source where that is documented.

If you email the Mysterious Benefactor, he may be able to locate the old scan of that article.  He's a busy man and I can't guarantee that he will have the tiime to look, but, if anybody could find, he could!  Alas, I failed to keep a copy of the original post.  You could also post a topic to the Current Chat board headlined Joel Crothers Interview (or similar) and see if any of the fans currently registered might have a copy they could share.

FWIW, I do think the character of Joe got more interesting towards the end, until he turned totally loony-tunes, I mean.  Some of his scenes with KLS after Joe's breakup with Maggie were among the best work both of them did in the series, IMNSHO.

Best,

Steve

Offline shadows1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2002, 11:22:36 PM »
Luciaphil and Nancy, all I can say is, "You go, girls!"  I enjoy your insightful postings.  I loved DS when I was young and now that I am old(er), I love it even more...thanks to the thought-provoking comments like you two (and of course, many others) provide.  
Rachel

Nancy

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2002, 12:31:19 AM »
Luciaphil and Nancy, all I can say is, "You go, girls!"  I enjoy your insightful postings.  I loved DS when I was young and now that I am old(er), I love it even more...thanks to the thought-provoking comments like you two (and of course, many others) provide.  
Rachel

Well, aren't  you nice.

Actually, I just enjoy contradicting Luciaphil. :P

Just kidding.  

Nancy

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2002, 04:35:53 AM »
Well, I finally made it through the LOOKING GLASS came out the other side -- and what a brave new world I've stepped into here (that has such people in't!)

Anyhow, it is a very interesting interview; among other things, he discusses the scripts he wrote while he was on the show.  I think this interview may be the only print source where that is documented.

I remember hearing someone mention that on the VN board, that Crothers had written several episodes of DS. But I never saw an interview posted.

Later, when I saw the name "Joe Caldwell" as a writer of many episodes (many of my favorite episodes, too, which is why I happened to notice his name), I assumed that the previous poster had mistakenly confused "Joel Crothers" with "Joe Caldwell."

NANCY

if you read this, are you the Nancy who wrote "Winds of Eternity" (a DS novel)? I recently ordered that from Kathleen Resch. The description of the book was very much to my liking -- and coincided with some of my own interests (e.g., Celtic) ... including my own story outline which was to include a flashback to a previous life of Angelique among the Druids ...

-Vlad

MB!
I73039;m the same Vlad. I had to enter a user name before I could post, unlike on the other board. So of course I entered Vlad, only to get a curt message flashing at me saying that that user name was already used. Of course it was, by me!

Things are certainly curious in this Looking-Glass world!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2002, 05:05:04 AM »
Somehow I was logged out, but I'm sure I didn't log out.  I'll try this post and see who it says it's by -- "Vlad" or "Vlad the Impaler"!

>:(

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT for Vlad
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2002, 07:00:30 AM »
Somehow I was logged out, but I'm sure I didn't log out.  I'll try this post and see who it says it's by -- "Vlad" or "Vlad the Impaler"!

>:(

Vlad,

Switching boards shouldn't log you out.  What may have happened is that when MB updated the board recently, the option to "always stay logged in" was reset to its default setting, which is that the box became unchecked.  To always stay logged, you can go to the login/logout sections of the board and recheck it.  Whenever you use a library computer, though, I recommend that you manually log out when you're finished to avoid giving another computer user access to your account here.

Anytime that you find yourself logged out, you can regain access to the name "Vlad" by logging in with your password.  This insures that the name stays reserved for you and you alone.

BTW, "Winds of Eternity" is one of NancyE's books (collinsport@flash.net); unfortunately, she's not a member of dsboards.  There's an excerpt from it at http://collinwood.topcities.com/dsff000.html if you want to check it out.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2002, 09:06:30 PM »
To Chris, re Joel Crothers,

Back in the archives of the old Board, someone had posted this very interesting magazine interview that was done with Joel in 1969.  In the interview he gave several reasons for why he had left Dark Shadows.  I honestly think it was a combination of things, plus maybe he wanted a little more money and he got that with his next job.  I'm not sure about that.  Anyhow, it is a very interesting interview; among other things, he discusses the scripts he wrote while he was on the show.  I think this interview may be the only print source where that is documented.

If you email the Mysterious Benefactor, he may be able to locate the old scan of that article.

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer this. [embb] But I hope you'll forgive me when I explain that this Joel Crothers article, along with mostly every other article that was posted on the old VantageNet boards (as well as many that have never posted), will have a home here on Dark Shadows Forums in one of the four Members' Only boards. I have the majority of those articles stored on my PC's hard drive, so it's just a matter of finding the time to upload the texts and format them with the accompanying photos.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2002, 11:57:30 PM »
Oh goody!  Thanks for that reply, Mr. Mysterioso.  I don't mind waiting for a treat!

I cherish the hope that the "Don Briscoe's shirtless tour of his apartment" article will be included in this archive.  All his fans deserve to see it!

Gothick

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2002, 03:43:30 AM »
I cherish the hope that the "Don Briscoe's shirtless tour of his apartment" article will be included in this archive.  All his fans deserve to see it!

Um, I think I should be able to manage that. [wink2]

Actually, one of the reasons I hadn't posted the articles (besides time) was that the YaBBC codes for using tables weren't working correctly, using tables really simplifies posting articles with photos, and I'd never gotten around to trying to fix the codes myself. But YaBB finally got around to fixing tables themselves as part of the upgrade I installed a few weeks back. So now all I really do need is that elusive thing called time. :)