Author Topic: The Relationship Between Joshua and Barnabas  (Read 1897 times)

Offline MikeS

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Relationship Between Joshua and Barnabas
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2002, 10:01:50 PM »
Regarding the relationship between Joshua and Barnabas, I think that Joshua was unable to admit, even to himself, the love he felt for his family.  Which, depending on how you interpret the workings of the curse, may have saved his life.  But I think he truly did love his family, as you can feel the agony he goes through as he is confronted with their loss.  A fascinating portrayal by Louis Edmonds.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2002, 01:04:20 AM »
Regarding the relationship between Joshua and Barnabas, I think that Joshua was unable to admit, even to himself, the love he felt for his family... A fascinating portrayal by Louis Edmonds.

That is the key word "admit" love. Yes,  it was a wonderful portrayal by Louis Edmonds. My favorite of his characters in DS.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2002, 04:08:37 AM »
My "take" is that everyone who expresses love for Barnabas - romantic love - dies. This is how the curse affected Angelique herself and Josette. Roxanne later too. That Naomi and Sarah also die in this story line has more to do with themselves than with the curse. And no I don't believe that Joshua ever loved anyone. "Love is just a word in lady's novels" is his motto.

Julia is perhaps spared because she never openly expresses her feelings towards Barnabas - it also may be that Barnabas must return those feelings in order for the curse to take affect.