Author Topic: Today in History (Actually June 27th)  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Today in History (Actually June 27th)
« on: June 27, 2017, 12:12:37 AM »
Hmmm - I'm not quite sure what's going on at this Newspaper's Web site because it says the article was posted "Monday June 26, 2017 12:01 AM" but it says:

"Today is Tuesday, June 27, the 178th day of 2017. There are 187 days left in the year."

But anyway, given that the forum's day has already switched to June 27th (because the forum's default time is GMT), I figured it's safe to share this part of the article:

"On this date:

In 1966, the Gothic soap opera "Dark Shadows" premiered on ABC-TV."

Happy 51st Birthday - you don't seem a day over 4 years old because the WP is watching eps from 1970...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Today in History (Actually June 27th)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »
Happy 51 DS!

I didn't even hear about the show until the early summer of 1968, which was when I started watching.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 12:55:18 AM »
I'm sure I posted this elsewhere here, but I saw the premier the next day.  Our local ABC affiliate delayed the broadcast because it had some schlopp on at 3:00 (CST).  So DS aired the next morning at 11:00.  It was a fine, warm summer day and I just watched some game show (don't remember which one) when the commercial came on saying DS would air next.  I watched it.  And from then on, I was hooked, always hoping it would get "spookier" and it did.  After a couple months, the 3:00 p.m. schlopp was canceled and one Monday morning, the previous Friday episode played at 11:00 a.m., and the usual one did at 3:00.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:34 AM »
I remember when the local ABC channel in Philadelphia broadcast Dark Shadows at 3:30 pm and the local ABC channel in New York City would broadcast the same Dark Shadows episode at 4:00 pm.  It was great to be able to watch that day's DS episode twice as a result of living about fifty miles from both the City of Brotherly Love and the Big Apple.  Ah, wonderful memories of 1968!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:11:55 AM »
I got to do something similar in 1970, BtB. The Providence, RI affiliate aired DS on the day, but the Boston, MA affiliate aired it a day later. And Boston was on at 3:30 and Providence at 4, so I could watch an ep again at 3:30 and then the new one at 4.

And I've definitely mentioned this before but fall and winter of 1968 protesting parent's groups had successfully gotten DS moved to 8:30am in Providence and 2:30pm in Boston. But if I was off from school I was able to do an unusual bit of catching up because the 8:30 show was a day behind BUT the Boston show was two weeks behind (it wasn't even on the Boston affiliate, which had completely dropped it, but on an independent UHF station - remember those?  [easter_wink]) Obviously some of the plot points in the Boston shows would be ruined because I'd already know what was going to happen - but it was still fantastic to catch those shows just the same because back then I was seeing very little of it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 04:53:47 AM »
At least these places published the list on the right day:

Today in History, Tuesday, June 27

Today in History: June 27

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:55:38 AM »

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
Did anyone see the flashback program on 1967 on Decades channel?? It aired yesterday (6/27) afternoon.

They had a nice little piece on DS. Maybe 8 or 9 min maybe total.  Had a few clips of conventions and some interviews from the 90's. Nice stuff. And it was great to hear the awesome Bill Curtis narrate the show's history.

I didn't get the names of the people who were talking about the show unfortunately... One said he'd attended conventions, but I missed it... Decades is not on my cable TV. I saw it on a tiny screen at my job's break room. Oddly enough I walked in right at the perfect time!!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:30:47 AM »
I caught the piece on YouTube. I think it's the same basic clip that they ran last year; I know that I've seen it before. RQ, I have been in DS fandom since 1983 and I have never seen that guy before at any event. I think that MB and I had a discussion on this last year.
I don't know where those cast interviews came from. They certainly weren't recent. Though Diana Millay was more eloquent and composed than I've ever seen her.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 01:25:54 AM »
I think it's the same basic clip that they ran last year; I know that I've seen it before.

It was the same.  [ghost_smiley]

I think that MB and I had a discussion on this last year.

We did somewhere - but don't ask me where because I couldn't find the topic.  [ghost_wink]

But this is what I posted in the Decades topic about that Through The Decades segment last year when it was on:

The Through The Decades segment on DS isn't half bad. Well, the clips from the show are ones we've seen over and over, and the comments from the celebrities are clips most of us have seen on shows like Entertainment Tonight from the early '90s (back when the '91 DS was gearing up), but it's all put together well along with comments from two people I've never heard of: Steven August Papa (billed as Lifetime Dark Shadows Fan) and Wally Podrazik (billed as Television Curator/Museum Of Broadcast Communications). And, with the exception of a short '90s clip during one of the bumpers to promote the DS segment as upcoming in the show, neither a head nor hair of a certain someone who normally dominates these things...

Now it's back to my own private celebration of The Pen. What will Roger do when he finds out that Vicki found The Pen at Lookout Point? Ooooo, I'm on the edge of my seat!!  [b003]

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 03:01:46 PM »
Ha! Decades should have talked to the horse's mouth on DS fandom!  [easter_grin]

Or as they say in the Northeast, "yoos guys".
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 11:07:49 PM »
I did a little digging and came up with a few interesting tidbits. Decades, also known as Weigel Broadcasting, is based out of Chicago. Both of those guys are locals which may have made them convenient for interviews.
Wally Podrazik is indeed connected to the Museum of Classic Chicago Broadcasting. But it is strictly an online museum.
Steven Papa has a Facebook profile. He's in quite a few DS Facebook groups but has very few DS friends listed other than a few actors. No KLS though. No festival pictures of any sort. Just a few autographed photos. Interesting, huh.
Fade Away and Radiate