Author Topic: Late 1970s DS Comeback?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Late 1970s DS Comeback?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 04:29:04 AM »
Dark Mansions even had an "old house"!

That I didn't remember. I'm going to have to watch it again via Gothick's link when I get the chance...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »
I enjoyed DARK MANSIONS but I barely remember it even though it was only a couple of years ago that I watched the movie.  It's nice that it's on Youtube if I want to revisit.

Interesting that it was publicized in the early DS fandom, too.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 05:11:44 PM »
Very interesting cast. With Joan Fontaine as the obvious analog for Joan Bennett, with the added benefit of her being in the original Rebecca. Michael York's British accent is a bit out of place but not glaring so. Louis Edmonds counterpart, I guess. Nicolette Sheridan is always fun to watch. I guess that she would be the Carolyn equivalent. Linda Purl was a pretty decent actress. I wish that she had gotten more work.
Grant Alexander must have done this after his initial run on Guiding Light.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
I watched the first half of the pilot last night (before I started to fall asleep (because it was very late - not because it was in any way boring)). I found much of it to be quite interesting with lots of potential - though being an Aaron Spelling production during a time when Spelling no longer knew the meaning of subtlety, parts of it were overwrought, and not overwrought in a good way but just bordering on the way that Dynasty became too over the top in its final seasons. What I found most interesting is Melissa Sue Anderson's psychic ability, the fact that Linda Purl's character looks like Michael York's dead wife, who died accidentally or was murdered, depending on who's telling the story (and some of the reactions to this resemblance are places where things are often far from subtle), and apparently there's some sort of force in the house because where I left off Linda Purl is alone in one of the rooms after just mentioning the dead wife and the fireplace erupts in huge flames (sort of like when Barn and Willie discussed Angelique in the '91 show - though minus the actual appearance of Angelique).

I'm definitely looking forward to watching the second half once I get to it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 06:36:26 PM »
Michael York's British accent is a bit out of place but not glaring so.

They explain the accent away as his character having lived in England for an extended period and that's how he picked the accent up. Sort of like how the '91 DS explained away Jean Simmons' accent as Liz having been educated in England.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
Thanks for those notes MB.  I know I would enjoy watching it again, especially because I have near total amnesia of anything in the plot.  No spoilers but if you do watch to the end, you'll see that had the show gone into production, it would most likely have shared even more plot points and setpieces with DS... I can't recall specifics, just that there were a couple of surprises.

G.