Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 88718 times)

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
There are some interesting character bits in these sequences. David's somewhat protective behavior towards Maggie indicates to me that they may have resolved their issues from earlier in the movie. Or, with Carolyn out of the picture, David simply wants an ally in case he needs one later on.
It was established early on that Willie had a definite infatuation with Maggie that was not reciprocated. Maggie seems to have mellowed towards him, though David certainly has not.
Now that Barnabas appears to be in remission, has he lost his control over Willie? Is that why Willie is able to try to warn Maggie, leading up to the You Betrayed Me sequence later on? But HODS Barnabas did not seem to exorcise the same amount of control over his victims that the TV Barnabas did. Not with Willie. Certainly not with Carolyn.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
David's somewhat protective behavior towards Maggie indicates to me that they may have resolved their issues from earlier in the movie. Or, with Carolyn out of the picture, David simply wants an ally in case he needs one later on.

Valid possibilities on both counts.

It was established early on that Willie had a definite infatuation with Maggie that was not reciprocated. Maggie seems to have mellowed towards him, though David certainly has not.

On the daytime show, while Vicki was more afraid of Willie than defiant toward him, she mellowed after his personality completely changed under, shall we say, Barnabas' influence. Perhaps Maggie's mellowing is a reflection of that too. Though it might have been nice had there been at least one line in the script to indicate that - perhaps something similar to the line the '91 Vicki says during her dinner with Barnabas.

Now that Barnabas appears to be in remission, has he lost his control over Willie? Is that why Willie is able to try to warn Maggie, leading up to the You Betrayed Me sequence later on? But HODS Barnabas did not seem to exorcise the same amount of control over his victims that the TV Barnabas did. Not with Willie. Certainly not with Carolyn.

It's odd that film Barnabas seems to have little if any control over his victims...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And continuing with even more of the way Scene 192 plays in DC's script, beginning with today's first quote -

Page 87/Scene 192 - Willie: 'You seeing Barnabas tonight?'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

192    CONTD                                        CONTD 192

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 88/Scene 192 - Maggie: 'Yes, I am -- and unless you tell me what's bothering you I've got to go in. I have a lot of work to do.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue and today's first quote, Willie actually asks "You gonna see Barnabas tonight?" - and at first Maggie responds as scripted with "Yes, I am", but she pauses before actually adding (as the camera switches to a shot of Willie looking -

- very concerned over that) "Willie, if you don't tell me what's bothering you, I'm gonna go inside. I've got work to do." And there's a notation in DC's script that before Maggie says that she's got to go inside, she crosses by Willie, but as we know that doesn't happen because she continues to stand in the same spot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up the way Scene 192 plays in DC's script, beginning with Maggie adding an unscripted -

"What is it?"

- before the script reads:

Willie looks at her, knows he cannot tell her.       

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 88/Scene 192 - Willie: 'Nothing, Maggie -- nothing --'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 88/Scene 192 - Maggie: 'Oh, Willie -- I'll never understand you.'

coming up, followed in the script by:

She turns and goes into the house.  Willie stands there
       as if paralyzed.

End of scene.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, Willie delivers today's first quote exactly as scripted - and to that Maggie nods her head in the negative and actually delivers the second quote as "Willie, I'll never understand you", with the "Oh" dropped, as she backs away, continuing to nod her head - and then after a few second of moving toward the house, she turns to look back* -

- at Willie and then turns back toward the door as she continues to move toward it - however, we never see her actually go into the house, so we obviously never see Willie standing looking paralyzed after she does so.

(* Is it just me, or does the capture make it look like Maggie is also doing something quite unladylike, especially in public?!)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Once again there really isn't all that much that's different about the novelization of the just completed scene, Scene 192, vs. how it appears in DC's script. And again there are only two sections worth pointing out.

Instead of:

And that's when today's quote -

Page 87/Scene 192 - Willie: 'Maggie, you gotta get away from Collinwood.'

- comes up.
                             MAGGIE
                      (looks at David)
                 David, take these inside.                   

David looks at Willie, goes in.

Page 87/Scene 192 - Willie: 'Look, you just gotta take my word for it -- because -- it's something I can't explain, see.'

- comes up.

- the novelization has -

"Maggie, you gotta get away from Collinwood," Willie
said earnestly.
  Her face shadowed and she turned to David. "Will you
please take these inside?" she said, handing him some
papers. The boy hesitated, gave Willie a wary look, and
then rather reluctantly did as she'd asked.
  When he was inside, she told Willie, "Explain your-
self."
  He frowned. "Look, you just gotta take my word for
it. Because . . . it's something I can't explain, see?"

- and instead of -

Page 87/Scene 192 - Willie: 'You seeing Barnabas tonight?'

192    CONTD                                        CONTD 192

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 88/Scene 192 - Maggie: 'Yes, I am -- and unless you tell me what's bothering you I've got to go in. I have a lot of work to do.'

- comes up.
       Willie looks at her, knows he cannot tell her.       

Page 88/Scene 192 - Willie: 'Nothing, Maggie -- nothing --'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 88/Scene 192 - Maggie: 'Oh, Willie -- I'll never understand you.'

coming up, followed in the script by:

She turns and goes into the house.  Willie stands there
       as if paralyzed.

- the novelization has -

Willie hesitated, then asked, "You seeing Barnabas
tonight?"
  "Yes, I am. And unless you tell me what's bothering
you, I've got to go in. I have a lot of work to do."
  He stared at her with troubled eyes. "It's hard for me
to explain," he muttered.
  "So it seems," she said impatiently. "What is this big
secret?"
  "Nothing, Maggie, nothing," he said with despair.
  She gave him a disgusted look. "I don't think it's very
nice of you, trying to scare me without any good reason.
"Willie, I'll never understand you!" And she turned and
went quickly into the house.
  Willie stood staring after her in despair.

It's interesting that the novelization says that Maggie hands papers to David to take into the house because the script seems to imply it's picnic things. But then that's simply because the script doesn't mention anything else that Maggie might be carrying. Like I've said, at times DC's script is painfully lacking in explanation, which was not the case with the portions of the hoDS script that appeared in the DS Files books.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up today's new scene:

193    EXT:  MAIN STREET, COLLINSPORT - DAY               193

CAMERA IS TIGHT on Stokes looking both astonished and
       exasperated.  CARS and PASSERSBY can be seen in b.g.   C U W

Page 88/Scene 193 - Stokes: 'For God's sake, man, get hold of yourself and try to make some sense.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the direction, the descriptions and the notations, we really have no way of knowing how things might have played in the film because this scene ended up on the cutting room floor. But one thing that might have been the case beyond the indication that the scene would actually begin with a close-up of Willie is that today's quote would have actually been delivered off screen because DC added a notation to that effect in his script.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 193:

|_____________________________ 2 SHOT
       CAMERA PULLS BACK to reveal a trembling, terrified Or cut to
       Willie standing opposite him.                wide from
                                                      across street

And that's when Thursday's first quote -

Page 88/Scene 193 - Willie: 'He's -- he's going to do the same thing to Maggie he did to Carolyn. He's going to make her a vampire!'

- comes up, followed by Thursday's second quote -

Page 88/Scene 193 - Stokes (shaken): 'Who is?'

Willie looks at him, terrified.                               

And that's when Friday's first quote -

Page 88/Scene 193 - Stokes: 'Speak up, man!!'

- comes up, followed by Friday's second quote -

Page 88/Scene 193 - Willie (with great difficulty): 'Barnabas -- Collins!'

Stokes stares at him.                                         

And when it comes to the dialogue, the direction, the descriptions and the notations, we really have no way of knowing how things might have played in the film because this scene ended up on the cutting room floor. And beyond the notations shared above there are two others. They indicated that Stokes' quote from Friday would be delivered off screen and that he would grab Willie's shirt.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I forgot to mention that for anyone who's not aware, the still I used for the graphics for this scene (which can be seen better in the graphics for the previous version -

- of the slideshow) can be found in the DS Movie Book, which is the only place I'm aware it's ever been published.

It's interesting that every one of the street shots that were done that day of production in Wilton, CT all never made it into the film...

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
I drove past there last week. It hasn't been a restaurant for quite some time. It was purchased by the Chabad of Westport and they seem to be putting on an addition to the building.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I also forgot to mention that there's nothing different about the novelization of Scene 193.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the current scene:

INT
194    EXT:  DINING ROOM - COLLINSPORT INN - NIGHT        194

Barnabas and Maggie are sitting at a table.  She is
       staring at the fireplace.  In B.G. we see other DINERS.

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 89/Scene 194 - Barnabas: 'Are you going to tell me what's been troubling you all evening?'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the direction, the descriptions and the notations, it's interesting that whoever typed the page made that error placing this scene outside, well, unless they thought the Collinsport Inn has an alfresco dining room - and the scene doesn't begin with Barnabas and Maggie sitting at a table because first we see what seems to be a standing patron and waitress (I wonder if she's secretly named Susie? [b003]) chatting with a seated patron while a waiter (or perhaps wine steward) begins to go by -

- in the background - and then as he continues to move along he passes by -

- a room of other patrons (the room Willie and Barnabas were in when Carolyn spotted Willie earlier in the film) on his way to the table where Barnabas and Maggie are sitting - and after he sets the wine down at their table, Barnabas says an unscripted -

"Thank you."

- and we can see that Maggie is not staring into the fireplace - and after the waiter(wine stward) leaves, as can be seen in yesterday's capture, Barnabas picks up the wine bottle -

- with the intent of pouring as he delivers yesterday's quote, which he does as "Maggie, are you going to tell me what's been troubling you this evening?"

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
I wonder if the wait staff were actually employees of the Three Bears Inn. It would be very much a DC thing to get out of paying extras by using real staff.
And, isn't a bit odd that the Blue Whale has the very visible icons of Three Bears outside the main entrance?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 194, beginning with yesterday's quote, Maggie's reply to Barnabas -

Page 89/Scene 194 - Maggie (looking at him): 'Has it been so obvious? (attempting a smile) Or have you gotten to know me better than I thought you had?'

BARNABAS
                 I think anyone could see you've       
                 been disturbed tonight.  What
                 is it, Maggie?

And as far as the dialogue, the direction, and the descriptions go, the first part of Maggie's actual reply is "Oh, Barnabas, has it been that obvious?" - and she doesn't so much as attempt a smile as she achieves one - and while he begins to pour the wine, Barnabas' actual response to Maggie wondering if he knows her better than she might think is "Well, I sure anyone could see that something's been disturbing you",  - and as she turns away -

- and looks down at the table, he follows with "And now, tell me what it is" rather than the scripted "What is it, Maggie?"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I wonder if the wait staff were actually employees of the Three Bears Inn. It would be very much a DC thing to get out of paying extras by using real staff.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if they were the actual staff.  [ghost_nowink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 194, beginning with yesterday's quote, Maggie's explanation of what's been disturbing her -

Page 89/Scene 194 - Maggie (after a pause): 'This afternoon -- Willie Loomis came to see me. I know there are times when Willie seems not to be all there -- but he was so concerned about me -- even frightened.'

BARNABAS

CAMERA ZOOMS IN to CLOSE UP -- he is thoroughly shocked,
       but doesn't let it show.

Page 89/Scene 194 - Barnabas: 'Did he tell you -- why he was so concerned?'

- comes up.

And as far as the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, Maggie actually explains to Barnabas with "Well, this afternoon, Willie Loomis came to see me. Now, Barnabas, I know there are times when Willie seems a little strange, but he was so concerned about me. even frightened  - and while it may not zoom in, the camera does indeed move in closer on Barnabas as Maggie says that (in fact, DC added a notation after Maggie's first sentence that reads "Start slow tighten to Barn") - and I love the expression that comes on Barnabas' face, as can be seen in yesterday's capture -

- the minute Maggie brings up Willie so it's a good thing Maggie isn't looking at Barnabas at that moment because initially he doesn't exactly hide his shock well - and Barnabas replies by actually asking "Can you tell me why he's so concerned?"