Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 88020 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Interesting to reflect that at this point in the story, Julia is completely misinterpreting Barnabas's behavior with her, while Barnabas himself is not really comprehending the nature of Maggie's "interest" in his company.

And it all ends in tragedy...

I definitely don't feel that AS FILMED, Maggie is in Barn's thrall at this point.  It's just a replay of the material from the original 1967 storyline with Vicki.  She is fascinated and charmed.  And she has not a clue that he's romantically hot for her.  Between that and her choice of Jeff Clark as a boyfriend, you really have to wonder about this version of Maggie...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
her choice of Jeff Clark as a boyfriend

Yes, that's far more questionable than any of her behavior with Barnabas.  [hall2_grin]

And actually, there are scenes in the script in which Maggie and Jeff argue over Barnabas. And had they been included in the film, they probably would have mitigated at least some of the criticisms of her we've made recently. But of course, in DC's infinite wisdom they all ended up on the cutting room floor. So quite honestly the way Maggie comes off in the film is mostly on DC, which is why I said it's quite possible that DC didn't care what the audience thought about Maggie's behavior because her being with Barn was likely just a means to an end in DC's eyes.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I find it interesting that while Maggie is definitely the heroine (or final girl, as they say), KLS appeares in very little of the promotional material for the film. Nancy Barrett, who is more of a supporting character in this context, is the focus of a lot of the advertising. Perhaps even more than Frid.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yes, NB definitely overshadowed KLS when it comes to the promotional aspect of the film. Plus, NB had the much more flashy role - KLS, through no fault of her own, is often reduced to standing or sitting around with little impact on the plot. Though that's often because Maggie's (and pretty much every other character's save Barnabas) best material ended up on the cutting room floor, which is not the case when it comes to Carolyn because VERY little of her material got cut.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
My memory of the very first newspaper ad I ever saw for hoDS is pretty dramatic.  What I recall is that we were on a holiday trip to Florida and somewhere along the way, one of my parents picked up a paper.  I was looking through it and there was this tiny ad for the movie.  It just showed the faces of Barnabas and Carolyn running with blood.  (I think the Barnabas shot was from his second attack on Maggie, and the Carolyn shot was from the post-staking set-up.)  Maybe it's a false memory but I just remember bouncing up and down with excitement, no doubt while my mother rolled her eyes--she hated DS.

I'm sure I clipped this and later pasted it in one of my scrapbooks when I got home.  But all my scrapbooks got tossed when Mom cleaned out my bedroom one day some years after I had left home. 

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Might the newspaper ad have been this one:

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I remember it having been an even smaller ad than that, but yes, those were the images on it.  I think it was edited so you just saw Nancy's face, not the stake (possibly due to how graphic the image is--it was somewhere in the Deep South, for sure, and in 1970 there were more stringent rules about what could be shown in various places, as you recall...).

If you own the hoDS pressbook--which I have never seen--I would think the ad would have been in there. 

Best, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I have the hoDS Pressbook - that's where the ad I shared came from and it's the smallest ad the pressbook has with only Carolyn and Barn. The theater or newspaper may have edited that one before the newspaper printed it. And come to think of it, I may have a newspaper clipping of that ad that is smaller. Let me check...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The version that I have is a combination of the above ad, a plain one -

- and the "A story of blood relations" tag line:

And while we're on the subject of ads, ones that seem to have been rarely used are these:

I only saw the version on the right printed once - and I never saw the version on the left until I got a copy of the pressbook...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I've only seen those ads recently. In a couple of Facebook groups and Google Images.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I love it that the one theatre ran the movie with FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS which was 3 years old at that point as a co-feature.  I'm very fond of FVK.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
When I went to see hoDS at the first local indoor theater that played it (interestingly, after it ran at one downtown, it opened in another that was only about 6 blocks away from my house), FVK was also the co-feature there. (I don't even remember what the co-feature was at the second theater - but I probably have a newspaper ad for the run around here somewhere...)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I do remember those ads and several others.  Our local newspaper ran them in turns.  Another one also had snips from the movie, including Willie getting choked after he opened the coffin, Carolyn staked and Barnabas attacking Maggie (there's a pic of it on the wiki HoDS page).  And then there was the ultimate, a photo of the cast on the grounds of Lyndhurst that also served as the cover of the Ross novelization.  Like Gothic, I clipped and saved them all.  Where they are now, no one knows.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another one also had snips from the movie, including Willie getting choked after he opened the coffin, Carolyn staked and Barnabas attacking Maggie (there's a pic of it on the wiki HoDS page).

Both versions of that are in reply #531 because it wasn't until this past July that I noticed - well, go back and read the post:
reply #531

And then there was the ultimate, a photo of the cast on the grounds of Lyndhurst that also served as the cover of the Ross novelization.

That one I haven't shared yet...

Like Gothic, I clipped and saved them all.  Where they are now, no one knows.

It's a shame you both lost your collections. My mom knew better than to even touch my DS stuff, much less toss it. But then mine was only out of my possession for about 9 years (from '77 until '86) when it was packed away way in the back of the closet in my old room. Everything went there after the '76-'77 syndication run ended in my area, and it came back out about 5 months after I'd discovered in '85 that DS was back on in syndication in my area and I began to watch it religiously again...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
MB, you're remarkable.  You found your previous post.  That was the first ad that appeared in our newspaper.  The others followed.  Some were reprinted when NoDS came out as a double-feature (remember those?).  As for the cast photo used on Ross' book, just google HoDS and click on images.  It's there several times - you'll recognize it.  I may still have my scrapbook with the ads here in this house.  It looks like the storage areas in the secret corridors of Collinwood.  Hopefully, someday I'll find them.

Gerard