Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87875 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
My favorite passage from KLS' diary for this day shooting the funeral has to be:

"I overhear the camera crew talking. One of them says Dan has a great way of bringing unity to the set--everyone hates him. And this is the first day?"

Yup, that sounds just like our DC!  [easter_grin]  And a close second has to be:

"On the third take, Dan cuts 2 lines from the 23rd Psalm. The Assistant Director mutters, "Great. Now he's editing God."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
While I was looking for an article about the shooting of Scene 117 (an article I didn't find - but it's around somewhere) what did I come across but a folder of hoDS and NoDS stills I completely forgot I have (some of which are very rare stills of deleted scenes). And one of those stills, which is also pretty rare, is one of Nancy Barrett/Carolyn for the photo shoot for the teaser poster I shared yesterday:

Better to find it a day late than never. But I suppose that's what happens when one has so much DS stuff stored all over in different spots because it doesn't all fit in one spot. I do try to keep it as organized as possible, but still, it's a wonder I remember that I have even half of it!!  [lghy]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Though on a much lighter note, I've drawn the conclusion that there really isn't any goof when it comes to Todd's last name. Yes, the minister refers to him as Todd Blake while the closing credits list him as Todd Jennings - but you see, when the eulogy was being written, for reasons known only to him, Todd insisted that he be referred to by middle name as well. After all, Blake can be both a surname and a first and/or middle name. Problem solved!  [nodassent]  Yup, that's the explanation exactly!  [wink2]  His full name is Todd Blake Jennings.  [lghy]

We kinda addressed that in the HODS parody skit, via a fake article in a real magazine, Film Comment. "The ambiguity of the idea of the character of Todd contributes to the film's dreamlike quality." . It got the expected laugh in the skit. And it gave me a private laugh later that weekend when i overheard some guy claiming that he bought the magazine in the dealer's room.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That's a wonderful production publicity still of Nancy in her about-to-be-Undead makeup in front of Lyndhurst.  Great find!

Nice to see shots of Michael Stroka in those captures.  I usually missed him altogether when I used to watch this on my VHS tape.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That's a wonderful production publicity still of Nancy in her about-to-be-Undead makeup in front of Lyndhurst.  Great find!

One of the other stills I found is of David, Maggie and Jeff when David is saying goodbye to Maggie at the costume party. It's probably the best still I've seen from that sequence and it's too bad that we've dealt with it already. But I'll probably redo one of the graphics from Scene 107 once it comes around again in the slideshow.

And one other still is of Quentin and Claire when they save Tracy from Angelique in NoDS. I really have no idea how I forgot about that one. I may not remember all my hoDS stuff, but I rarely forget about the NoDS stuff that I have. But like the David/Maggie/Jeff hoDS still, I'll probably redo one of the graphics from NoDS Scene 227 once it comes up in that slideshow again...

Nice to see shots of Michael Stroka in those captures.  I usually missed him altogether when I used to watch this on my VHS tape.

I just had a thought! Given that Stroka's pallbearer is standing next to Mrs. Johnson at the funeral, sharing an umbrella with her, and quite possibly even supporting her, wouldn't it be a hoot and a half if Stroka is secretly playing Harry Johnson?!  [a1f5]  Who knew?!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I don't remember where i read this now, probably in one of the KLS books but apparently there was an actual funeral there that day and they had the bad timing to arrive when DC was trying to film. He had the audacity to tell them to wait because it wasn't like they'd be going anywhere.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up today's new scene:

118    EXT:  CEMETERY DRIVEWAY - DAY                      118
       FULL SHOT

The mourners solemnly emerge from the cemetery and go
       to their respective cars, which are parked in the
       driveway.

JULIA AND STOKES

as they approach her car.

STOKES
                 I must speak to you -- alone.

JULIA
                 We can talk in the car on the way
                 into town.  I have to go to the lab.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 48/Scene 118 - Stokes: 'I'll come to the lab later. I asked Sheriff Patterson if I could drive in with him. I suspect the police and I may have two entirely different theories.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way of knowing if anything might have changed or things might have played as scripted because in DC's script he drew a box around it and put a big "X" in it, which obviously means he didn't shoot it. Interestingly, though, before that decision was made he made some notations for the way he was going to shoot it. But those are all in the second half of the scene, so they won't come up until tomorrow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
As per usual, yesterday I forgot to mention that this quote from the Fest's 1999 Movie Calendar was the March 8th installment for the original hoDS slideshow:

hoDS: Scene #117 - Minister: 'Yea, though I walk through
the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.'

And I also completely forgot all this time that we've been doing this topic that KLS' original version of My Scrapbook Memories of Dark Shadows includes dozens and dozens of behind the scene photos from the production of hoDS. Photos that were never reprinted in the DS Memories book (though that book has behind the scenes and official still photos from hoDS that weren't in Scrapbook Memories - but that's an entirely different story). So, I decided that because Scrapbook Memories is out of print, I should be sharing the hoDS photos in this topic for the people who might never see them otherwise. And I'll start that off as soon as I get the time to scan some pages from the funeral and to post them.

(I'll go back to all the stuff pre-funeral when this slideshow starts over again next year.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Love the idea of sharing some of those Scrapbook memories photos here, MB.

My absolute favorite candid shot from the entire hoDS production was published in that book. I don't know if she ever included it elsewhere. It was taken at the funeral and involves three actresses... for now, that's all I will say...

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Oh, and I love the idea that Michael Stroka was playing Harry Johnson!  I'm already imagining the scenes now. He would have been marvelous in that role.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Love the idea of sharing some of those Scrapbook memories photos here, MB.

Here are the first three pages of funeral shoot photos:

My absolute favorite candid shot from the entire hoDS production was published in that book. I don't know if she ever included it elsewhere. It was taken at the funeral and involves three actresses... for now, that's all I will say...

That particular photo will be coming up in the next batch...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 118:

open       Pan
       Julia looks at him curiously, then starts to open her  C U J
       car doorand  gets  in                                pan her in
                                                          car and into
                                                            2 shot.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 48/Scene 118 - Stokes: 'Oh, by the way -- do you happen to know why Barnabas Collins didn't attend the funeral?'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 48/Scene 118 - Julia: 'He doesn't know. He's out of town.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

PAN  CUSTOKES
                             STOKES
                 I see.                                    widen
           closes                                         as he closes
       He opens the car door for her.                    it

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way of knowing if anything might have changed or things might have played as scripted because, as I said, this scene was never shot. And normally I get upset about such things, but in this case there really isn't anything all that important in the scene that won't get covered in the next scene when Stokes joins Julia in the lab. The only thing that won't be gotten into is Stokes asking about Barnabas and Julia telling him Barnabas doesn't know about Carolyn because "he's out of town" - though unless someone has read the script, they don't even know that Barnabas evades Julia's desire to get together with him by saying he's going out of town because that's one of the many scenes from the costume party that ended up on the cutting room floor.

And when it comes to DC's notes, it's interesting that he's crossed out that Julia opens her car door but then seemingly put it back...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And now here's the second and last batch of funeral shoot photos:

Click for a 1446X1024 image: Pages-66_67.jpg

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Three ladies Three... Thanks!

I really love today's capture.  Great choice!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I've been told by a couple of people who knew her well that Grayson was a REALLY aggressive driver. I'm just imagining the out-takes if they had attempted to do a scene where Julia was driving Stokes through Collinsport and the language that might have been heard from the respectable, scholarly Dr. Hoffman. LOL!

G.