Author Topic: I am curious about this pic?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I am curious about this pic?
« on: January 24, 2005, 11:32:57 PM »
A lady I know had this on her computer as wallpaper and I was wondering if this was an actual photo or was it photoshopped?

What she told me was this... "That this was a actual still, of a cut scene, from the "House of Dark Shadows" movie."

Anyone else have any info on this one?

If real... This is the best picture I've seen of Barnabas and Julia together.

FireRose

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: I am curious about this pic?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 11:45:40 PM »
Yup. It's an actual still from a deleted scene.

There are a few from this sequence in the DARK SHADOWS COMPANION and a goofier outtake from the same scene in the DARK SHADOWS MOVIE BOOK and of course, the text from this scene as well as the other deleted scenes.

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 06:45:24 AM »
Yup. It's an actual still from a deleted scene.

There are a few from this sequence in the DARK SHADOWS COMPANION and a goofier outtake from the same scene in the DARK SHADOWS MOVIE BOOK and of course, the text from this scene as well as the other deleted scenes.

Thanks for the info...

FireRose

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 10:13:49 PM »
It was probably the best scene in the movie.  It hit the cutting room floor before any release print, so apparently the footage no longer exists. Back then, they didn't save cut scenes for "the DVD".  *pout*

There are some other great scenes in that movie that were cut.  Basically any scene that gave any motivation or explanation for the film's bloody events was deemed to be "too slow," or something.

grumpy Gothick, turning into a snow-Luddite in Boston

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 11:24:03 PM »
MGM most likely looked at HODS as a quickie horror film that would cash in on the DS craze and make them a nice bit of money.  A shame, really, because many of the cut scenes would have added texture to the film, fleshed out the characters and plot, and ultimately have increased the impact of the more horrific moments.

In terms of plot, I think the worst of all the cuts was the elimination of the scene in which Jeff tells Maggie that Barnabas arranged a showing of his work in Boston.  It was the answer to the question posed by the scene in which Barnabas said to Willie, "On the contrary, I've done something for (Jeff)," and was not expendable.  I doubt that its inclusion would have increased the running time significantly.

Of course, I'm not a film executive or a filmmaker, so who am I to question the wisdom of DC and Company?   ;)

Jean-Claude

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 12:07:14 AM »
Hi Jean...Steve...

On House of Dark Shadows, all the cuts made were at Dan Curtis' behest...And I agree that he went too far, and made extreme cuts he would not have made later on in his career.

Though its still not known 100% whether the cut Julia/Barnabas scene was one of the additions in the Japanese release...so it's possible it could have made it into that version... It's a crucial scene and by all means should have been included...as well as the greenhouse scene Claude mentions...Both cause very awkward moments in the developing story.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 12:37:23 AM »
Thanks for holding out that hope about the Japanese release possibly containing the Julia's walk sequence, Darren.  My own hope in that area is zero, but who knows?

As Jean-Claude mentioned, the cut of the greenhouse scene makes Jeff's absence in subsequent scenes completely inexplicable.  I remember that I didn't even understand what was happening in the movie half the time until I read the "Marilyn" Ross novelization, which as you know was based on an early script draft, and included several sequences never even filmed.

And dammit,I *want* that scene where Roger complains that all the craziness at Collinwood is cutting in his time reading... PROUST!

Ah well.  At least I have the laserdisc version of the films to enjoy (though as you pointed out long ago, only the one shown on television has the correct sound mix for NoDS).

Steve

Offline AdAstra

• Junior Poster
  • Shadows of the night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 11:25:59 PM »
Does anyone know where to find different versions of HODS?  I guess I have the regular, American-cut version.  Does anyone have foreign versions with added scenes?  If so, do tell where you found them!  I was rather dissappointed in the film...it was assembled to hastily I think.  But it would be interesting to see those deleted scenes.
Thanks,
Mel

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 11:51:34 PM »
The lady who had this pic as wallpaper on her computer said she heard this as one reason for the scenes being cut in regards to Barnabas and Julia...

''The warm and fuzzy scenes between Barnabas and Julia were cut because Dan Curtis and others didn't think they would go over well, with the viewers, [spoiler]when in a couple of scenes later Barnabas kills Julia in a very violent way.''[/spoiler]

I guess that could be a real good reason.

FireRose