Author Topic: Semi OT: Frankenstein vs. the Wolf Man  (Read 417 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Semi OT: Frankenstein vs. the Wolf Man
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:06:16 PM »
Fans, I found two of the Universal "complete legacy" classic monster DVD sets in my local Newbury Comics (a media shop in the Boston area) marked down--they are used, but appear to play fine.  And so, I am watching Frankenstein vs. the Wolfman (from around 1943).  I don't remember ever seeing this one before, apart from a bit when I came into it towards the end of a TV broadcast back around 20 years ago.

Let's just say that the opening sequence, set in the Talbot family mausoleum, proved to have a very familiar look and feel to it.  You might be surprised.  I know I was.

DS definitely stole... er, borrowed... from the best.

For fans of the Universal Sherlock Holmes films (with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce), this one includes a very Inspector Lestrade type role for actor Dennis Hoey.

G.

Online Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Semi OT: Frankenstein vs. the Wolf Man
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »
I believe that the late, great Bela Lugosi portrayed the Frankenstein monster in this film. 

And, it was cool to see Dennis Hoey from the Sherlock Holmes films in this film as a police detective. [Evil_Pumpkins]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Semi OT: Frankenstein vs. the Wolf Man
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 10:30:42 PM »
Let's just say that the opening sequence, set in the Talbot family mausoleum, proved to have a very familiar look and feel to it.  You might be surprised.  I know I was.

DS definitely stole... er, borrowed... from the best.

I just checked the opening scene out on YouTube - decidedly DS-like - as are the opening credits, which could have been shot in Julia's lab.  [hall2_wink]

I'll have to check out the whole film when I get the chance...