Author Topic: Best Episode recommendations for newbie?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline crystalball

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Best Episode recommendations for newbie?
« on: January 04, 2005, 11:57:54 PM »
Hi  I've heard a lot of interesting things about Dark Shadows and want to check it out. Since theres like a zillion episodes, can someone make some recommendations
on what are the best / most interesting  episodes or eras to check out?  thanks

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Episode recommendations for newbie?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 02:46:44 AM »
The Laura/Phoenix episodes are an interesting part of the show. The introduction of the Barnabas character might be a good place for a newbie to start. If you wanted to start at the beginning the show centers around Vicky and there are some of the best shows then IMO.[blackbat][ghosty][Bat]
MM

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 02:50:17 AM »
the massive number of episodes make it difficult to pick out a "best" episode to start with.each storyline has individual episodes that are riveting and others that are silly,dull or whatnot.

i think that episodes 1-5 or so are a must for anyone who wants a general backdrop for the show.they are way pre-barnabas but it helps to get a layout of who everyone else is for the opening of the barnabas story.i enjoyed the entirety of the pre-barnabas run but i can see some finding them dull since they are gothic but not overtly supernatural.it depends on what one's expectations are for the show and since they lasted for a year before the barnabas character was introduced it's totally up to the viewer how much they want to get involved in them.
that said,if one doesn't need to start with the barnabas episodes but doesn't want to watch the entirety of the first year i highly recommend the laura collins story(starting c/s/v/26).it's so good!it only lasted a few months so it can be viewd quickly and it leads directly into the elizabeth/jason mcquire story which is a must in that it leads into barnabas' release.

the 1795 time-travel story is also very good but without the backdrop of the months that lead up to it it might not make much sense(has anyone started watching the show with 1795?).
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 03:36:47 AM »
Speaking as someone who in many ways is still a newbie (I have yet to see the entire series yet), I would recommend starting at the very beginning (even I haven't done that yet :) )  But failing that, probably the next best place to start would be episode 210, the episode that introduced Barnabas (or his hand at least).  There are other storylines that have been going on for a while but you get enough information not to be completely lost.  Ep 210 was my first episode, and by its end I was oh so eager for more.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 05:27:34 AM »
i'd suggest staring either at the beginning or at least episode 200. Another good story is 1795 and 1970 Paralell Time

8) :( ;D ;D :-

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 04:36:15 PM »
It kind of depends upon what you're looking for, and what you already like.  If you enjoy old black and white shows such as the Twilight Zone and Thriller (the Boris Karloff one), I would definitely say start with the first DVD set (maybe you could borrow it from a friend?)  If black and white shows make you fidgety, I do think the start of the 1795 storyline would be a good place to start.  You don't need to have watched the shows leading up to that, really, because they change practically everything you've been told about the family situation up to that point once they get Vicki to 1795.

I can post specific episodes I've used to introduce the unbaptised to the show, if I can ever remember how the *$%# spoiler code works.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 04:56:26 PM »
I can post specific episodes I've used to introduce the unbaptised to the show, if I can ever remember how the *$%# spoiler code works.

You poor thing.  The text goes between these bracketed tags:
Code: [Select]
[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 05:10:50 PM »
Thanks, dear!  I was stupidly using the Chinese-hat brackets instead of squares.

I'm just a Luddite at heart.

G.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 07:21:18 PM »
well i would start with the intro of chris jennings but that's just me >:D i say start at 200 too
the intro to Barnabas is great and really the start of DS for me!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline crystalball

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 01:36:08 AM »
Thanks everybody for the replies.  I think I get the general idea now.  This should be interesting...

Offline crystalball

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 02:04:19 PM »
Oh yea, one other question...  were there any weak eras throughout the long extent of this show?

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 03:30:19 PM »
Oh yea, one other question...  were there any weak eras throughout the long extent of this show?

Oh, boy!  You've opened the floodgates now. ;)

I think most fans tend to agree that the Adam story that took place right after the very popular 1795 Flashback and the Leviathan story (interestingly, right after the very popular 1987 Flashback) are generally considered to be two of the weaker storylines in the shows run.

I hasten to add that I myself have not seen the Leviathan story and am just getting started on the Adam story, I cannot offer a personal opinion (yet).
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 03:36:35 PM »
Yes, there were.  And if you ask each of us here what they were, you'd be amazed to find that every storyline has it's fans and it's detractors.  As Nelson Collins says, some might point to the "Adam" story and others the whole of "Leviathan".

The problem is, no matter which storyline you're watching, there are performances that are little gems....and if you try to "skip over the boring parts" you run the risk of missing them.

Best to watch the entire series through, at least once.  After that, you'll decide for yourself which parts have "Fast Forward" written all over them..... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 04:46:48 PM »
Tempted to just reply "anything with Roger Davis in it," but I'll restrain myself...

The Adam storyline happened at the same time as the Cassandra story, which is my very favorite part of DS (maybe because it was the first story I ever saw--I started watching in June '68).  And practically a tie for my favorite storyline is the Leviathan story, especially the earlier weeks of it.  So, I think Raineypark makes a good point here--even if you think the basic concept of Leviathans is a load of hooey, you'll miss some wonderful performances.

G.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 10:37:32 PM »

Yes, yes there were. We all have our opinions on that one though.

If I were you, I'd start with the arrival of Barnabas. That's when the show really picked up steam as far as the supernatural aspect went. They're relatively strong episodes. You can get an idea of the show's flavor. Also these are probably readily available at video stores or at your library.

I'd be interested to know what your reactions are.

Welcome!
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga