Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #382 -- 50th Anniversary updates; Marcy's message  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
**** SHADOWGRAM PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENT:
DARK SHADOWS 50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION UPDATES
**** MESSAGE FROM SHADOWGRAM’S MARCY ROBIN

SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL DARK SHADOWS NEWS ONLINE UPDATE # 382
June 19, 2016

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), provides the following news in this ShadowGram Official Dark Shadows News Online Update "Bulletin."

**** SHADOWGRAM PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENT:
DS 50th ANNIVERSARY: LATEST OFFICAL NEWS

The DS Golden Anniversary Celebration in Tarrytown, NY, is a few days away.

This Update releases the revised schedule of events, details various planned activities, and describes guest presentations, fan participation opportunities, a retrospective of Jonathan Frid’s one-man Readers Theatre shows, new merchandise for purchase, special and rare screenings, and much more.

More than a dozen original DS cast/crew will join us. Unfortunately, a few guests who had hoped to participate send their regrets and are unable to attend: Mitchell Ryan (Burke Devlin), Kathleen Cody (Hallie Stokes) and Robert Cobert (music composer). Each has attended previous Festivals and hopes to see the fans at a future Festival gathering.

Happily, 3 new guests from the original DS production staff will be with us and participate in a discussion panel: Video engineer Nick Besink, stage manager Daniel Morgan, and audio engineer Henry Plimack.

**** SCHEDULE OF EVENTS - TARRYTOWN DOUBLETREE HOTEL
BALLROOM (except where noted)
This schedule is subject to change and all times are approximate.

---- Friday , June 24

10:00am - 5:00 pm - An Afternoon at Collinwood (Lyndhurst Estate)
3:00pm   Celebration Registration opens at DoubleTree Hotel
6:00        DS 50th Anniversary opening ceremonies with guest Sharon Smyth
6:15        DS Episode #1245 as originally broadcast on ABC-TV
6:45        Jonathan Frid on The Dick Cavett Show (1968)
7:00        Special Guests: Nancy Barrett & Kathryn Leigh Scott
7:30        Special Guests: Marie Wallace & Christopher Pennock
8:00        Special Guests: Jerry Lacy & James Storm
8:30        Special Guests: Lara Parker & Roger Davis
9:00        Movie: House of Dark Shadows with Jonathan Frid Interview (1986)
11:00      Movie: Night of Dark Shadows
12:45      Movie: Doctor Mabuse - Etiopomar (with DS cast)

---- Saturday, June 25

10:00am  Celebration registration opens
11:00       Dark Shadows Fan Videos
11:30       Dark Shadows News: ShadowGram's Marcy Robin
12:00       The Collinsport Historical Society - Wallace McBride
12:30       The Collins Chronicles - Patrick McCray
1:00         Dark Shadows Lost & Found: The House   
2:00         Dark Shadows Charity Auction I       
3:00         Dark Shadows Lives: The Big Finish Audio Dramas
3:15         The Genesis Of A Comeback: On The Road With
                 Jonathan Frid - William McKinley & Mary O'Leary
4:00         50th Anniversary Dark Shadows Cast Reunion -
                  Questions & Answers with The Stars
5:00         Dark Shadows Bloopers
6:00         Dark Shadows Lost & Found: Surprise
7:00         Donna McKechnie In Performance
7:30         Dark Shadows Costume Celebration
8:30         Dark Shadows: Séance Fiction – The Collinsport Players
9:00         Ghost Stories with Sarah Collins
                  and On A Country Road horror short hosted by Sharon Smyth
10:00      Movie: The Last Case of August T. Harrison (with DS cast)
                  introduced by filmmaker Ansel Faraj
11:30      Movie: House of Shadows (influenced by DS)

Sunday, June 26

11:00am   Doors Open/Registration Opens
11:30        Luncheon Begins/Door Prizes/Gift Bags
12:30        Dark Shadows Dramatics: Stage & video performances 
                   by the Dark Shadows stars/Dark Shadows In Remembrance
2:30          Dark Shadows  Charity Auction II
3:00          Autograph Session/DS Memorabilia Sale
5:00          Optional No-Host Fan Field Trip to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery & Private Tour

NOTE: At the Celebration Registration tables in the Doubletree Hotel, you must present your original registration payment receipt. You’ll then receive a badge; please wear it prominently to enable you to attend Celebration programming.

NOTE: For those going to the separate “Afternoon at Collinwood” visit to the nearby Lyndhurst Estate (filming site for the movies “House of DS” and “Night of DS”), you may park on the mansion grounds, walk from the hotel, or take a $2 hotel taxi ride to and/or from Lyndhurst.
At Lyndhurst, each fan must present their ticket to tour the mansion (the ticket was mailed to them with their Festival receipt). A Festival receipt will not be valid for this purpose.
Each fan is entitled to one tour of the mansion interior. These will be in groups of 20, every 30 minutes, starting at 10am and ending at 4pm. Lunch and snacks will be available at the Lyndhurst carriage house café adjacent to the gift shop in the stables area, or fans may bring their own sack lunches. There are many filming locations on the grounds: the greenhouse, abandoned pool building, bowling alley, gardens, and more.

**** 50th ANNIVERSARY HIGHLIGHTS

---- Guest Autographs & Photo Opportunities
Throughout the weekend, the DS actors will be available to sign autographs at tables in the hotel corridors adjacent to the ballroom. There is no charge for guest signatures. Fans may purchase photographs, books and other DS materials to be autographed. Please Note: There is a limit of 2 autographs per person per each visit with a guest, with the exception of items purchased from the guests. Your cooperation is appreciated so every fan has a fair chance to greet our guests. Thank you.

---- Luncheon with the Stars – Sunday afternoon – Hotel Ballroom
All attendees of the 50th Anniversary Luncheon will receive a gift offering of DS items. Following the awarding of door prizes, there will be a variety of special video and live onstage Dark Shadows Dramatics presentations with the actors. The afternoon will end with an autograph session and the final opportunity to purchase DS merchandise.

---- Costume Celebration – 7:30 Saturday evening - Hotel Ballroom
This all-for-fun fan participation event welcomes fans of all ages to share their creativity with their own DS- or horror- influenced costumes onstage. Individually or in small groups, you can show off your costume, present a short recitation, song, or dance (no more than 1 minute, please). Entries must be suitable for all audiences.
Entry forms will be available at the Information Desk near the Registration area.
NOTE: This is not a contest. There is no fee to participate. Marcy Robin is the Costume Celebration Coordinator and onstage MC. She asks all participants to please bring their completed entry forms and attend a 7:00 Rehearsal/Information Session at the hotel’s outside gazebo pavilion immediately behind the ballroom autograph area. Thank you.

---- Special Movie Screenings
In addition to big-screen, high-definition presentations of the feature films House of DS and Night of DS, other motion pictures of interest will screen over the weekend. These include the DS-influenced House of Shadows and a pair of movies featuring original DS cast members from DS fan/filmmaker Ansel Faraj: The Last Case of August T. Harrison and Doctor Mabuse: Etiopoma.

---- Lost And Found
For the first time in 6 decades and not seen anywhere since its single original live telecast in the 1950s, Art Wallace's original teleplay of The House will be screened. Fans can see how Wallace adapted the story and setting when Dan Curtis hired him to pen DS’ “program bible” in 1966. Viewers will find many characters and story elements to be extremely familiar!

---- The Genesis of a Comeback: On The Road With Jonathan Frid
In the 1980s, after attending several DS fan conventions and contributing to the show’s return in syndication and on PBS stations, Jonathan Frid began performing dramatic one-man shows for the fans. Producer Mary O’Leary then teamed with Jonathan to form Clunes Associates to develop and present Jonathan’s professional performances across the country at theatres, schools and libraries. Among those assisting Jonathan’s creative efforts was young fan William McKinley. Now, Mary and William look back at their time working with Jonathan and travelling with his unique Readers Theatre programs.

---- Producing Shadows
On Saturday afternoon, 3 veterans from the DS production staff will share their memories of working behind the scenes. Joining the panel will be video engineer Nick Besink, stage manager Daniel Morgan, and audio engineer Henry Plimack.

---- Memorabilia Charity Auctions
On Saturday and Sunday afternoons, a tantalizing selection of rare and unique DS items will be offered for auction to benefit the Lyndhurst Estate, and Cure PSP (in memory of Geoff Miller). This is your chance to acquire DS collectibles and surprises, with some donated by our guests.

--- Dark Shadows Collectibles
An array of new commemorative DS-related items will be available for sale during the weekend, including David Selby’s Light & Shadows book of DS-inspired songs, poems, and photographs. MPI will debut the first-ever retro-styled DS lunchbox, the only official DS 50th Anniversary T-shirt, and a long-sleeved hoodie. Also, final copies of the commemorative limited edition, purple vinyl reissue of composer Robert Cobert’s classic Original Music From Dark Shadows soundtrack album will be available while supplies last.

NOTE: The anonymous winner of the MPI online contest to win Celebration admission and a hotel stay has been notified.

---- The Collinsport Players
A group of DS fans have joined to present a humorous tale involving dramatic happenings at Collinwood. The parody Séance Fiction promises a surprise or 2.

**** NOTE: All 50th Anniversary functions are sold out. For those unable to attend, the Festival program book will be for sale after July 1. Also available after the Celebration event: New DS merchandise from MPI ((www.darkshadowsdvd.com)): the DS lunchbox (full-color retro style), a 50th Anniversary t-shirt with a vintage cast image, commemorative DS hoodie, and more items.

ShadowGram Updates soon will report more details about how to purchase these items after the Celebration weekend.

**** MESSAGE FROM SHADOWGRAM’S MARCY ROBIN

For 6 months, SG Updates have noted some Real Life situations I’ve had to face. These totally unexpected, unpredictable crises required all my attention, energy, and more. My entire life was upended and I had to set aside everything, including my all-volunteer DS/SG work. I appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding – and I’m back at last!

Since the late December accidental electrical garage/house fire at my home, cleaning, repairs, and reconstruction have progressed steadily. It’s been very traumatic and difficult in every way. Hopefully, home will again be home for us by late summer.

In late March, I needed another emergency surgery for a retinal hole in one eye; I have lifelong severe myopia and am prone to retinal damage. I’m grateful and relieved that my surgeon – a pioneer in the field – is very pleased with my recovery and cleared me to fly to NY. So I’ll be there to handle my staff responsibilities and celebrate with everyone. My thanks for all the good wishes, prayers, healing thoughts, cards, notes, and emails from so many. They truly helped lift my spirits.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #382 -- 50th Anniversary updates; Marcy's message
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 11:02:02 PM »
Quote from: ShadowGram
Happily, 3 new guests from the original DS production staff will be with us and participate in a discussion panel: Video engineer Nick Besink, stage manager Daniel Morgan, and audio engineer Henry Plimack.

Daniel Morgan (is this the same Dan Morgan that had a small recurring role in 1795?) penned a book called "Last Stage Manager Standing" that may provide insight into what it will be like listening to his behind-the-scenes experiences on DS.  I'd describe his writing style as "flight of ideas" and his humor as juvenile.  But if you're interested, that DS chapter is available here:  https://books.google.com/books?id=MSH8BAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=snippet&q=chapter%2010&f=false
Click the page link for Chapter 10

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »
Wow, that would be fab if "The House" screening actually happens this time.  I would love to see this included as an extra on one of MPI's releases.  The other one I would love to see is the 1966 CRUCIBLE with Thayer and Clarice.  That was supposed to be shown at one of the Festivals long ago, but I think I heard that the screening failed to materialize.

Nice to see Nick Besink and the others attending, too.

Hope it is a great time for all who are attending. I am unable to make it.

Best, G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 12:26:31 AM »
Gothick, the Crucible was screened at a Tarrytown festival not too many years ago. Kathleen Cody was there to introduce it. I had vague memories of seeing it when it first aired on ABC, though I had forgotten that Tuesday Weld had played Abigail.
Nick Besink and Henry Plimack had been scheduled to appear at the aborted Friends of the 1991 event that had been scheduled for Friday.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 12:55:29 AM »
Cody must have moved heaven and earth to reingratiate herself with festival organizers after her meltdowns and temper tantrums of a few years ago...

and now she's a no show? i wonder what's going on with her?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 01:15:17 AM »
A very good question, michaelc. Cody has bailed on more DS functions that she has actually attended. At the festival where I met her (Tarrytown, I think), she was hardly ever at her table.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 01:51:59 AM »
a few years ago she pitched a royal fit when she wasn't an invited guest on the "cruise" or whatever reformatted festival situation it was that year, accused the Scott/Selby/Parker triumvirate of highjacking the entire thing, and basically accused festival organizers of financial malfeasance.

somehow she got back in good graces and now she's not coming? odd. she's also not posting on her FB page so i wonder what's up?

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 02:10:06 AM »
The last time I looked, there hadn't been any activity on from her on her Facebook page since February.

All that you say is true, michaelc. Not an isolated incident either. I got caught up in her mass unfriending on Facebook because I was friends with someone that she didn't like. When asked about it, she commented that she simply couldn't have that. Welcome to the sixth grade.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 02:38:28 AM »
she had some sort of very public psychological breakdown around the time of the 2012 film release and, in some strangely misdirected anger, took it out on the festival organizers and stranger still the fans.

it was a very bizarre period.  [ghost_blink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 01:02:43 AM »
Wow, that would be fab if "The House" screening actually happens this time.  I would love to see this included as an extra on one of MPI's releases.

Thanks to a post from '04, I see that the script for The House was presented live:

we prepared to watch the live dramatization of Art Wallace's Goodyear Theater teleplay The House, which had been billed all weekend as a pilot for the original DS.

The House was a real treat.  I thought it was well-written and well-acted. The plot is essentially a condensed version of the Jason-Liz blackmail storyline. Set in 1910, it begins with an aging sailor named Jeb Calloway (John Karlen) complaining to a former shipmate, Walt Cummings (Jamison Selby) that nobody will hire him to sail because they believe he's too old. Walt suggests that Jeb find someone to stake (sponsor) him, and Jeb recalls a wealthy woman in his hometown of Collinsville called Caroline.

The scene shifts to Caroline Barnes, (Marie Wallace) who is teaching piano to young Jane Stoddard (Denise Nickerson) while Jane's mother Martha (Lara Parker) looks on.  Caroline's daughter Elizabeth (KLS) is dating a nice young local boy, Larry, played by David Selby. (I believe I mistakenly referred to Selby's character as Frank elsewhere; I apologize for the confusion.) Larry wants to marry Liz, but she always puts him off with an excuse.  For one thing, she doesn't want to leave her reclusive mother alone in the big old house, and she knows that Caroline will never leave the house to move in with her and Larry.  In truth, Liz is reluctant to commit after seeing what marriage did to her mother. (This is the same problem that Carolyn experienced according to Wallace's Shadows on the Wall story bible.) Caroline's husband stole her jewelry 25 years ago, shortly after Liz was born, and left town. Since then, Caroline has never left the house; she is waiting for her husband to return. Jeb Calloway appears mysteriously, introducing himself as an old friend of Mr. Barnes (maybe his name was Frank.) Caroline is shocked and distraught to see him, but reluctantly agrees that Jeb can stay in her house while he is in town. Liz suspects that Jeb is really her father, returned under an alias.  Instead of feeling happy though, she is afraid. In truth, Jeb is Caroline's accomplice. We are told that 25 years ago, Caroline accidentally shot and killed her husband when she discovered that he was trying to run away with the family fortune. Jeb, who had been waiting outside the house for his friend, heard the shot, discovered the body, and offered to bury it in the basement.  Caroline gave him the jewels as payment with the understanding that she would never see Jeb again.  However, he has now returned. With plenty of charm and sarcastic humor, Jeb intimidates Caroline, even disrupting her piano lessons, and hints that he would like to live in the house permanently as her husband.  Caroline is anxious for Liz's sake. When Larry confronts her and accuses her of ruining Liz's life by living as a recluse and passing her own problems onto her commitment-shy daughter, (just as a drunken Joe did to Elizabeth on DS) Caroline makes a decision. She sends for the town constable (Jamison again) and tells him to dig in a particular area of the basement. She also tells Liz what really happened to her father.  The constable informs Caroline that he found nothing in the basement.  Jeb finally confesses that Caroline is no murderess; the bullet only grazed her husband and he soon regained consciousness.  Jeb conned Caroline out of the jewels, the two men split the loot, and Barnes later died at sea.  The constable is ready to press charges, but Caroline dissuades him.  Though she is angry at Jeb for condemning her to 25 years of a private hell, she is relieved to learn of her innocence and happy to be able to leave the house at last.

I felt that Karlen stole the show with an Irish brogue patterned after Dennis Patrick's.  Marie Wallace was also quite good as matriarch Caroline, and David Selby played Larry with an appealing boyishness.  Jim Pierson had a small part as a bartender. Richard Halpern played the narrator and read stage directions. Details of The House, from character names to plot points, are very similar to those found in Shadows on the Wall and those that eventually found their way onto DS.  It was a fun show and I was glad to have seen the genesis of DS. However, I did find it difficult to remember that in this story, Elizabeth is the daughter while Caroline is the mother.  On DS, the name roles were reversed.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 04:02:43 AM »
That's an excellent description of the play from Prof. Stokes.  I probably read it at the time, but as I've been complaining, my short term memory has become quite unreliable (and at times, nonexistent).

I have been seeing cast photos on the Book of Face today, and tonight, one was posted that was actually a fairly decent photo.  It looks as if John Karlen was able to attend after all.  I saw someone in a wheelchair who looked like a skinny version of an older Karlen.  Everybody looked quite happy to be there.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 04:44:39 AM »
A fan who must be attending confirmed that John Karlen is indeed at the Festival.  I looked again and I noticed he was holding Marie Wallace's hand.  It was sweet.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
i just went for the day yesterday...

and they were actually able to get their hands on the original 1954 Art Wallace teleplay 'The House'. it was part of an ongoing anthology mystery series called, quite ominously, 'The Web' (as in trapped in a "web of lies").

and indeed the early Liz/Jason storyline is lifted very directly from this source. a few of the names are different but ( Elizabeth Stoddard was Elizabeth "Stover" ) early iterations of Liz, Jason, Carolyn and Joe Haskell were the featured players. there was even a bar scene ( evocative of the 'Blue Whale' ) with a throwaway extra named "Sam" ( a drunk, of course ).

it was a self contained half hour story. and the fate of the blackmailing Jason equivalent is left ambiguous ( suffice to say he was not strangled to death by a vampire ) but it was interesting to see where the story had it's origins. 

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »
Karlen was in very good spirits and stayed signing autographs until after eleven o'clock on Friday night, well after the others had retired for the evening. His problems seem to be under control. He was in a wheelchair and was accompanied by a health aide.
Donna McKechnie was a last minute cancellation. She had gotten a job elsewhere.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »
McKechnie (rather boldly) posted last night she was attending a performance of 'Romeo and Juliette' at Lincoln Center. she didn't "take a job".

she could have attended another performance and honored her festival commitment.  [ghost_tongue]