Author Topic: Chartreuse and the Count  (Read 884 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Chartreuse and the Count
« on: December 13, 2004, 07:23:10 AM »
At one point Count Petofi (or is it professor Stokes?) comments on how he enjoys Chartreuse (a pale green liqueur made only in France).  Recently while in a liquor store I saw this for the first time ... I was looking for a liqueur called Absente, a modern version of the still-banned-in-the U.S. absinthe.  Absinthe is an anise-flavored liqueur that was the rage in Europe in the late 1800s and was a favorite of Van Gogh and Oscar Wilde.  I'm certain Quentin Collins was familiar with it.   [santa_smiley]  A friend and I have been interested in this, but it is close to $40 a bottle, about the same price as the Chartreuse.  Now I'm wondering whether to buy the Chartreuse instead (if I buy anything - and if my friend also pitches in  [santa_wink]).  Has anyone tried either of these and able to testify to the Count's refined taste?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re: Chartreuse and the Count
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 02:43:32 PM »
No I haven't tried any, but I was thinking about getting some, (well, one bottle because it is expective) for New Year Eve.  [8285]

So if you will wait until January 2, or maybe the 3 I'll let for know.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 08:23:09 PM »
 [ChristmaS7]
          I am not much of a liquers afficiaonado, but during a Sci Fi run of DS, my ex roommate and I bought some brandy to have to play a Roger Collins drnking game. On our first try, we sat on adjacent chairs, and after a long silence, John said, "You suppose they all (brandies, sic) taste like cough syrup?" I will admit years later Diane and I were at a nice restaurant and I had Amontillado as an after dinner drink and had somewhat similar feelings. Now, wines I like. I remembered Prof. Stokes remarks on liking sherry and Port and I can more agree on the Port.

Michael

May not all of your Christmas spirit be bottled!

"I like cheese"    Tony Peterson
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 03:58:25 AM »
Funny, port is the one that I think tastes like "cough syprup" (as my dad used to call cough medicine - must be an old term).

I do think that sherry, like many alcoholic beverages, is an acquired taste, but once one's palate becomes more discriminating with age, one finds it a true pleasure.  Liqueurs, though, haven't presented any barrier ... my parents always served Cointreau, Drambuie, Grand Marnier when entertaining, and even as kids (or at least teenagers) we were always allowed to taste these.

Terry, please do post if you buy the Chartreuse -- consider it Dark Shadows research!

(I probably won't be online, though, till after Jan. 10)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

[ChristmaS15]
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995