Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--Hot 'n' Bothered  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--Hot 'n' Bothered
« on: March 17, 2002, 02:21:56 AM »
Fashion notes first . . .

I must comment on wedding dress #2 although it wasn't in Friday's episode.  First of all, wasn't it remarkable that Naomi just happened to have that lying around so conveniently in a trunk?  I mean, c'mon, it's hardly the kind of thing she would wear and in those days dresses were sewn by hand and not cheap.  

So it's not like we could even think that Naomi was out shopping at the post-Colonial equivalent of Lord and Taylor and "they were practically giving things away.  Well, you know, I saw this dress and I knew I had to have it.  Well, I know I could never wear it and Sarah's about five years from . . . but this is so classic, it won't go out of style."

Anyhow, I thought it was pretty enough, although I liked the first one much better.  This is the same dress though that Barnabas made Maggie wear, isn't it?

Abigail's dress, if you like at closely (don't get distracted by Abigail's face or you won't see what I mean), is actually kind of nice.  The high neck frill doesn't do much for it, but it seems to have much more in common with Josette's clothes than Naomi's.  The headress though, that has to go.  My God, it's like something you would see Yul Brynner wearing in "The Ten Commandments" except this one is done up in old-maid chintz.  Ugh.  They couldn't just have the women wearing caps?  One would have looked just as frumpy on Abigail (the wig would make anything frumpy), but it would not have me wondering who I know who has a chair covered in that same fabric.

While I'm on the subject of Regency dress.  Cravats.  I don't get why the wardrobe people have Joshua looking so spiffy with the way his is tied, when at the same time, it looks like they just yanked it and tied it as tight as possible and leaving the inch of naked neck expanse.  Very unattractive.

And finally, Vicki's green dress.  Vast, vast improvement over the red w/bib number, but it still looks wrong to me.  Am I mistaken--it really seems like it's more Victorian than anything.  Maybe it's the fitted waist.  

Okay, onto the show.

I don't know that anyone shone in those episodes.  Sharon Smyth was a cute little girl, but that's about all I can say for her.  I liked Jerry Lacy and Clarice Blackburn's work here, but I dunno, both episodes weren't anything to write home about.

It occured to me that Abigail and Angelique have something in common: they both get quite um, "excited", albeit in different ways about witchcraft.

Very "excited"[blshy] to a point that's very reminiscient of the Jazz scene in "Phantom Lady" but without Elisha Cook, Jr. on the drums (if you haven't seen it, go rent it).

But let me talk about them one at a time.  

Abigail.  Ya know, I have to wonder.  She was jabbering away to Joshua about why Ben could be in her room (thankfully, no one brought up the improbable--scary, visual place, let's just not go there), and she was right on target about why he would want her hair ribbon.   I'm wondering just how a sheltered spinster in rural, 1790s Maine became such an authority about sympathetic magic.  I know there were poppets and maybe she would have heard of those, but still, she didn't have to think about it, Abigail knew immediately.

But there she was going on and on about "the witch" and Vicki and well, I know it's the same old schtick they always trot out about frustrated old maids and really very unoriginal, but Clarice Blackburn was such a hoot to watch.  

Also, why the hell didn't Joshua dower her to the hilt and marry her off when he had the chance?  (with a sister like that, it would have been worth the expense).

What, by the way, was with that very lame attempt at an exorcism?  This was all they could come up with--Jerry Lacy, a piece of chalk, Vicki's initials, and a stick.  If it was supposed to be a dowsing rod, I want to know: why you need a dowsing rod for an exorcism; and what idiot found a stick with three branches on it?  

As for Angelique, well, no wonder she isn't more hipped on consummating her marriage.  If she can get that jazzed about saying her spells, well, who needs a partner [blshy]  I wonder whose idea it was to go for the throes of passion delivery, the writers, the director, or LP's.

I liked the tarot cards she was using (those were tarot cards, right?)  Anyone know the name of the deck?

She's her own worst enemy though.  Ya gotta wonder what kind of thought processes she actually has--or doesn't have--that would make her do the things she does.  

In Thursday's episodes, Angelique sounded sincere in her belief that someone had to be making Jeremiah haunt her, when duh, it should have occured to her that he had very good reasons just all on his lone ectoplasmic self to put her through a lot more hell than tossing her into an open grave.

She's clever, but she's not smart, if you know what I mean.  

Yeah, there's a problem with the witch hunt, but considering that both her husband and more importantly, her father-in-law (who has the power) aren't enthused about Trask, why on earth doesn't she just encourage them to oppose Trask?  

And then there's Miss Winters.  Intermittent brain loss?  That's all I can come up with now--forget the PSTD theory.  For most of the episodes, she's actually not that dumb.  Smart enough to ask the kid to lie for her, to check before going to hide.  Smart enough to know that the exorcism is just not a good idea.  But then [bnghd], but then [bnghd] . . .

Why didn't she just run out the back door?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--Hot 'n' Bothered
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2002, 04:58:04 AM »
Okay, before we say anything else, may I suggest a warning label of some kind on this column, for people with certain medical conditions?  After all, we don't really want anyone to die laughing, do we? [lghy]

Luciaphil,  you are a natural at this.  I laughed my head off over Abigail's dress looking like an upholstered chair,  and your hilarious comments about the pathetic excuse for an exorcism. When I got to Angelique getting so jazzed over her spells she didn't need a partner, I  had to stop reading altogether to catch my breath.

My teenager asked what was so funny and I sent her out of the room.

Keep em coming, Luciaphil...I, for one, am already hooked!

Raineypark, who has to admit she is watching "1795" on autopilot, waiting for Willie Loomis to come home from the psycho ward in May. [crazd]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2002, 06:56:17 AM »
have to agree with Raineypark , Luciaphil

don't keep those idle thoughts to yourself they are just
too funny!
have to agree sometimes thinking of the visuals of certains events(Ben in Auntie Abbey's room) you are right just don't want to go there!!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2002, 08:13:08 AM »
As to the first wedding gown, I kept wondering where she got it.  It certainly seemed quite fancy for a maid.  I could see if, given the circumstances, Josette had been nice and given it to her, but there was no suggestion of anything like that.

Of course, Vicki running out like that has always infuriated me!  As you suggested, surely there must have been a back door.  But, even if there wasn't - it's a big house.  She knows Trask is down there in the front waiting for her.  Wouldn't she at least run to another part of the house looking for Barnabas or anything except the front door unless everything else was blazing!!!!
Josette

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2002, 05:34:30 PM »
Being distracted by Aunt Abagail's face wasnt the problem, it was being distracted by her mouth!

And what a mouth, as Rodney would say, "Last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it".

Keep on truckin' with the idle thoughts they're great!

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2002, 03:19:04 AM »
As for Angelique, well, no wonder she isn't more hipped on consummating her marriage.  If she can get that jazzed about saying her spells, well, who needs a partner [blshy]

There is no need to wonder when you see who she has as a partner.

(The Tarot cards look like a deck of Old Maid possibly belonging to Abigail.) ;D
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2002, 08:07:18 AM »
Luciaphil's
What, by the way, was with that very lame attempt at an exorcism?  This was all they could come up with--Jerry Lacy, a piece of chalk, Vicki's initials, and a stick.  If it was supposed to be a dowsing rod, I want to know: why you need a dowsing rod for an exorcism; and what idiot found a stick with three branches on it?

Those all seemed like bizarre improvisations.  I've heard of pouring salt along a threshold (though I suppose that would defeat the purpose, since if Vicki was really evil she wouldn't be able to cross), but scattering ordinary dirt?  And what's with setting the dowsing rod on fire?

As for Angelique, well, no wonder she isn't more hipped on consummating her marriage.  If she can get that jazzed about saying her spells, well, who needs a partner [blshy] I wonder whose idea it was to go for the throes of passion delivery, the writers, the director, or LP's.

Hee hee, she did get into it, didn't she?!

I liked the tarot cards she was using (those were tarot cards, right?)  Anyone know the name of the deck?

Definitely not Tarot since, for one thing, there was no Major Arcana.  It might've been an ordinary deck of cards, though I've never seen anything like them.  There were 4 suits-- hearts, bells, leaves (?), and some weird thing that looked like a cross between an acorn and a stick of dynamite.

Did anyone else get into Tarot because of DS?  My first deck was a Swiss 1JJ just like Natalie's.  The designs made it difficult to learn, but I still have it.

(The Tarot cards look like a deck of Old Maid possibly belonging to Abigail.)  ;D

LOL, VAM!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2002, 11:47:34 PM »

Did anyone else get into Tarot because of DS?  My first deck was a Swiss 1JJ just like Natalie's.  The designs made it difficult to learn, but I still have it.

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of creating a DS-based Tarot deck using screen captures and pictures from the show.  Here are my ideas for the Major Arcana:

The Fool = Victoria Winters
The Magician = Nicholas Blair
The High Priestess = Angelique
The Emperor = Joshua
The Empress = Naomi
The Hierophant = Trask
The Lovers = Barnabas and Josette
The Chariot = (Roger's car?)
Strength = Gabriel Collins
The Hermit = Eagle Hill Cemetery caretaker
The Wheel of Fortune = (Angelique's spinning wheel?)
Justice = Judge Vail
The Hanged Man = Peter Bradford
Death = Dream Curse skull
Temperance = Roger (just kidding)
The Devil =Diabolos
The Tower = the tower room
The Star = the pentagram
The Moon = the full moon shot
The Sun = the rising sun shot
Judgment = the tribunal
The World = (Did David have a globe in his room?)

As for the suites of the Minor Arcana, I can see Barnabas with his cane as the king of wands/clubs, Sam Evans as the king of cups, Quentin as the king of swords (see Blooper video.)  Perhaps instead of pentacles I could use pentagrams and make Quentin the king of those too.  

ProfStokes

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2002, 02:37:35 AM »
ProfStokes,

Have you proposed the idea to MPI? ;DThey could give::)these out to the first hundred, who buy the DS DVD Series!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2002, 10:16:36 PM »
Prof, these are FANTASTIC!

Temperance = Roger (just kidding)

LOL!  May I suggest one of Clarice Blackburn's characters for Temperance, such as Mrs Johnson, Abigail, or Minerva?

I hope you'll be able to pursue the project further.  It sounds very exciting!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2002, 12:31:12 PM »
Luciaphil, You sure read my mind when you mentioned "why Vicky didn't just run out from another door??" A large house as that surely has other exits.  ?!? When Josette & Jeremiah eloped, they had to leave by another way as not to be seen by the party downstairs. Same thing goes for Jeremiah while he was carrying Angelique out to the graveyard. I can understand Vicky being afraid of a fire, but to run out right into Trask's trap is downright ridiculous, if not silly. Love these posts of yours!  :)
"Calamity Jane"