Author Topic: #0125/0126: Robservations 08/16/01: How to Kill Vicki?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0125/0126: Robservations 08/16/01: How to Kill Vicki?
« on: August 15, 2001, 07:11:21 PM »
Episode #125 - Night has fallen at Collinwood, and in a few short hours, my fate will be decided. In the deserted Old House where I am held captive, my captor must decide to free me or kill me--unless a small boy, who knows the secret of my whereabouts, tells what he knows.

Matthew gazes at Vicki, trying to decide what to do with her.

David searches for Roger, calling into the kitchen and drawing room. Roger comes downstairs. I was looking for you--where were you? asks David. I've been in the East Wing, says Roger, securing the windows, why? I have to talk to you, says David. That's a novelty, says Roger sarcastically, to what do I owe this honor? I think there's something I ought to tell you, says David. It will have to wait for a moment, insists Roger. It can't wait! says David. Roger closes the drawing room window. Don't you hear that thunder? asks Roger--we're due for a storm, and I've got to close the garage and secure the greenhouse before it starts. This is more important, says David, please, Father, you've got to listen to me. All right, what is it? asks Roger impatiently. .

Well? asks Roger--what is it, David? You have to promise me something before I tell you, says David--that I won't get into any trouble. What have you done? asks Roger. I didn't do anything, says David, licking his lips, that is, I didn't mean to do anything wrong. Will you please come to the point? asks Roger. I can't unless you promise me that I won't get in trouble. I'll do no such thing, insists Roger, if you've done something wrong, you're going to be punished. You're making a mistake, says David--you'll be sorry you didn't promise me, because now I can't tell you what I know. I'll find out sooner or later, Roger assures his son, it's bound to come out. You just want to see me punished, don't you? asks David. I just want to see you stop your devilment, says Roger--you're the cause of half the trouble in this house. This time you're to blame for something that's going to happen, says David--something terrible. Stop this nonsense, orders Roger--get up to bed! All right, agrees David, but you're never going to know what I know, because I'm never going to tell you. I knew I shouldn't have wasted my time listening to you, says Roger, pulling a flashlight from a drawer--now I probably won't make it to the greenhouse before the rain starts. I hope you catch pneumonia--and die! says David. (Such a sweet child.) All right, young man, that's enough of your charming conversation, says Roger, I told you to go to bed, when I get back I expect you to be upstairs and asleep. He leaves the house. I wish I knew what to do, laments David, rubbing his hair distractedly, I wish I knew! He sits down by the fire to think.

Matthew has been sitting, too, and comes to a decision. He rises and begins gathering unopened cans of food from a shelf and putting them in a wrinkled bag. We'd better get a move on, he tells Vicki, it will be starting to rain soon. What are you gonna do? asks Vicki. We're gonna clear out of here, he says. WE? asks Vicki with consternation. I'm takin' you with me, he says. Can't you just leave me here? she asks. No, I'll be safer if you're with me, he says. You can't keep me with you forever, says Vicki--sooner or later I'm going to slow you down. They hear the shutter banging in the wind, unnerving Matthew. Vicki tells him what it is. Do you hear footsteps? he asks her. No, she replies. I thought I did, he says. I didn't hear anything, she says. There's somebody outside, says Matthew, I can hear somebody moving. It's your imagination--the house is empty, says Vicki. I'm not imagining things, he says, there's somebody or somethin' in this house--I can feel it--quiet, he cautions her, listening again at the door. Thunder rumbles.

Matthew finally musters up the courage to check out the noise he thought he heard. Lightning flashes through the windows, thunder is constant. He finds nothing, and returns to Vicki and leans in close. I can't see 'em, he says, they're out there, everyplace--I gotta watch out for 'em--old Matthew has to be craftier than they are. What are you talking about? asks Vicki. My enemies, they're everywhere, he says, I know you're one of them. I'm not your enemy! she protests. You can't fool me, he brags, I can see right through ya--I know you're one of my enemies--sometimes I think I ought to kill ya--sometimes I think I ought to kill all my enemies. You don't want to kill me, says Vicki, you said you didn't! I don't want to, he says, unless I have to. Nobody's forcing you to do anything--I told you I'd do anything you wanted me to do, she reminds him, and that makes me your friend, because I'm going to cooperate with you, and help you--you need help, don't you? Yes, he nods, I need help. I'm gonna help you and be your friend, she assures him, and I'll stay with you as long as you want. He looks at her, then covers his face and stumbles. I was gonna do somethin', he agonizes, what was I gonna do? You were going to leave, she reminds him. Yes, that's what I was gonna do, he says--I have food--where is it? Right here, she says, nodding her head toward the bag. I'll take this out to the car, he says. If you untie me, I'll go with you, says Vicki. No, he says, you stay here--I don't wanna drag you through the woods, you might cry out. Whatever you say, she tells him, disappointed. I'll bring the car up the side of the house, then we'll go, he says. All right, she agrees. He replaces the gag in her mouth, saying that will keep her quiet while he's gone. He leaves the secret room. Vicki continues to work at the ropes binding her hands.

11 PM - David sits in a chair in the drawing room, half asleep. He awakens up and walks into the drawing room, yawning. David! calls a spooky voice. An apparition appears--Bill Malloy. Who's there?--who are you? asks David. Don't you recognize me? asks Malloy's ghost. You're Mr. Malloy, aren't you? the child asks--you're just the way Miss Winters described you--I've been looking for you--why did you come here tonight--do you have something to tell me? Help Miss Winters, Malloy's ghost tells him. I can't, I'm scared, I don't want to go to jail! protests David. Help Miss Winters, insists the ghost. Was it my father that killed you, or was it Matthew? asks David. The front door opens and closes, and the ghost begins to fade. Please, don't go away! begs David. Roger comes in and asks his son who he's talking to and what he's doing up
--I thought I told you to go to bed. I saw Mr. Malloy's ghost, says David--it was right there--it went away when you came in. Nonsense! says Roger. It's true, says David, he was standing right there and I talked to him. I've had enough of your foolishness for one night, says Roger--now get up to bed! I can't go to bed now, says David. You're going to get to bed if I have to take you by the arm and drag you, says Roger, doing just that--now come on. Oh, please, you don't understand! cries David. Roger turns off the light and says he understands one thing--young man, you're not going to be roaming around this house in the middle of the night--now get to bed. David does as he's told, Roger right behind him.

Matthew walks through the woods. Matthew Morgan! calls a ghostly voice. Who's that?--who's there? asks Matthew. Bill Malloy's ghost appears to him. Who's callin' my name, who are ya? demands Matthew, what are ya? The man you killed, says Malloy. You can't be Malloy, says Matthew desperately, Malloy's dead--the dead don't come back! I was Malloy, says the ghost. You can't be, that's not possible, says Matthew. Someone at Collinwood will die tonight, says Malloy--someone will die--someone will die--someone will die. Malloy's ghost turns away and disappears.
Matthew sinks to the ground on his knees, terrified.

The storm continues to rage as David, in pajamas and robe, comes downstairs at Collinwood. He heads into the drawing room, which is dark and empty, and closes the doors. He picks up the phone and dials the Collinsport Inn, asking for Burke's room. There's no answer, and David asks to keep ringing--oh, well, he says, can I leave a message?--tell him to come to Collinwood right away--say it's urgent--say it's about Miss Winters. He hangs up.

Vicki continues working to free her wrists, and finally succeeds in doing so. She pulls off the gag and rubs her aching wrists, then listens at the door. She exits the secret room, terror on her face, and rushes to the front door. Matthew is there, and he comes toward her, his face awash in confusion, but doesn't attack her. You look scared, he says, you got no reason to be scared of me What? asks Vicki. I musta startled you when I came in, says Matthew, sorry, Mz. Stoddard, I just come to say good night. I see, says Vicki, hope on her face. I just finished chopping the wood, says Matthew, smiling, is there anythin' else you'd like me to do before I go back to my cottage? No, says Vicki, nothing. It starts to rain. It's a bad night, says Matthew, if I go back to my cottage now, I'll get soaking wet--would ya mind if I wait here a while?--the rain'll probably stop soon. No, says Vicki, you wait here--but I think I'll go to my room. Good night, Mz. Stoddard, he says, and she says it back to him, walking toward the door. Wait a minute! He says. What is it? she asks. This isn't the main house, he says, it's the Old House--what are we doin' here? Don't you remember? she asks, we're looking for something. I don't remember, says Matthew, what are we lookin' for? David, she answers, we thought that he was here, but he wasn't. I don't know what's the matter with me, he says, I can't think right. You're probably very tired, she say, you should lie down--you need a good rest. No, he says, I don't wanna rest, I don't wanna sleep, I just woke up from a terrible dream--I dreamt I saw the ghost of Mr. Malloy. I'm sorry you had a bad dream, Vicki tells him. Was it a dream? he asks, it seemed so real. Of course it was a dream, she assures him. It happened in the woods, he says, what was I doin' in the woods? That was just another part of your dream, she says. No, he says, it wasn't a dream, it was real, I was runnin' from the police! I've got to go to my room now, she says. I came here to hide, he continues, that's it--it's comin' back to me. Good night, says Vicki, and moves toward the door. Wait a minute! orders Matthew, wait! He closes the door she has just opened. He looks at her. You're not Mz. Stoddard, he says, you're Miss Winters, tryin' to get away from me again!
She screams no in protest, but they struggle violently as he propels her toward the secret room, warning her that she'll never get away with it this time, never get away from him again. He pushes her into the secret room and follows her in.

Collinwood - Burke appears out of the rain and bangs frantically at the door. Come on, come on! he says, impatiently pounding the knocker against the door over and over. Roger comes downstairs, tying the belt on his robe, and answers the door. What the devil do you want? he demands of Burke when he see who it is. Where's David? demands Burke. What do you want with him? asks Roger. He called me at the hotel, says Burke, left a message, said he wanted to see me--said it was urgent--he said it was about Vicki!--he may have found out something and wants to tell me! How could David know anything about Vicki? asks Roger. I don't know, says Burke, dripping wet from the rain, but I intend to find out--now go get him! I'll do no such thing, insists Roger. I'm not going to argue with you, says Burke, he may have found out something important, and I'm not leaving here until I find out! This is ridiculous, says Roger, David doesn't know anything about Vicki--that phone call was probably his idea of a prank. I don't think so, says Burke, anyway, we'll find out soon--go get him! I most certainly won't, says Roger. I told you, I'm not going to argue with you and I meant it. I'm not going to let you awaken that boy at this hour of the night, let alone the rest of the household. Are you going to get him? asks Burke, right in Roger's face, or am I going to have to get rough with you again? They look at each other a moment. I'm going to see that boy, Roger, right now, if I have to go upstairs and get him! This is breaking and entering, you know, I could have you arrested. Well, arrest me! says Burke.
David (finally) steps onto the landing. Burke! he calls. Come down here. David does so, nearly leaping the entire length of the stairs. Why did you call me? asks Burke, what's all this about?

Matthew re-ties Vicki's hands. that'll hold you while I do what I have to, he says. What's that? she asks, resigned. I'm gonna do what I shoulda done in the first place, he says--I'm going to kill you. No, she pleads, shading her head. I gave you every chance, he says, I told ya to cooperate with me, but you wouldn't! I'll cooperate with you, you'll see, she says, we'll leave here, we'll go and you'll drop me off the way you said you would, and I won't be able to cause you any harm. No, says Matthew, no, it's too late, I can't take you with me--you'd spend all your time tryin' to get away from me and sooner or later you'd succeed. No I wouldn't! she cries. You think I believe ya now? he asks.--besides, they want ya dead--the ghosts--they want ya dead. You don't believe in ghosts, you told me so! she says. I didn't until now, says Matthew, tonight I saw one--saw the ghost of Mr. Malloy, he told me someone's gonna die at Collinwood tonight--that someone's going to be you. Mr. Malloy liked me, says Vicki, he wouldn't want me dead! The widows would, says Matthew--they want a third girl--that's why they haunt Collinwood and this house--if I kill you, they'll go away, they'll stop followin' me, they won't tell everybody about me--I won't be afraid anymore--all my life I've been afraid, now I won't be--I gotta find a way to do it that will make them happy--it's gotta be quick and easy so you won't feel anything. He considers it, while Vicki gazes at him in fear. Yeah, he says, grinning, that's how I'll do it. He moves toward the door. Where are you going? she asks. I'll be back soon, he says--then you'll know.
He leaves. Vicki is breathing heavily in terror.

NOTES: Is this the end, or will David tell Burke and Roger about Vicki's plight before it's too late? I know he was scared, but he waited so long! And why did he allow his father to answer the door when Burke showed up; why didn't he camp out right by the door and answer it himself? He knew Roger would give Burke a hard time about waking him. I find it hard to believe David was actually sleeping, anyway!

Very good episode. I was wondering when Malloy's ghost would finally appear to Matthew. Given that the handyman murdered him, you would think he'd have shown up sooner, and not allowed Vicki to be held prisoner all this time. It was interesting that Malloy appeared to David and told him to help Miss Winters. Perhaps this is his way of bringing David and his tutor together. It's nice to think so.

The juxtaposition between what was going on with Vicki and Matthew and the tense scene between Burke, David and Roger was intensely suspenseful. Didn't you want David to just blurt out where Vicki was, without all the excess crap he was spouting? I understood his desire to escape punishment, but didn't he realize that every second he hesitated might mean his governess' death?

The question is, will Vicki live long enough to teach David anything more?

Episode #126 - Though it is now late at night, the lights of Collinwood are still burning. A man has arrived who could rescue me from the Old House where I am held prisoner. The prisoner of a crazed, desperate man who has just decided to kill me.

Matthew tells Vicki the ghosts want her dead--when she dies, they'll go away, they won't follow him anymore, won't tell anyone what they know--that's why they haunt this house and Collinwood--they want a third girl to die. you're insane! She accuses him. I've thought of a way to kill ya that will make 'em happy, he says, it's so easy ya won't know what happened to ya--he takes down the rope and tells her he isn't going to take a chance on her trying to get away again--I'm gonna tie you up real tight. You're hurting me! she protests. Don't worry about a little pain, he says, in a few minutes, you won't feel a thing--I told ya it would be an easy death--did you ever see an animal led to the slaughter--they don't know what him 'em. I'm not an animal! Says Vicki, gazing up at him, I'm a human being--do you want to have my blood on your conscience for the rest of your life? The widows are out for blood tonight! insists Matthew. There are no such things as widows, says Vicki (yes there are, but not ghostly ones, I guess she means)--they don't exist! I didn't think so before, but now I do, he says--it's all around us--tellin' me I have to kill ya--and I gotta obey! You don't know what you're doing! cries Vicki as he leaves the secret room. Matthew, please! she begs. I gotta obey! he says. No, you don't! she wails. He goes to the stairs and grabs the banister. I've gotta obey! he repeats. No, Matthew, it's wrong, you mustn't, please, Matthew, please, Matthew, please! He leaves the house. Vicki begins to cry. Somebody, please help me! she begs, somebody, please!

Help me! sobs Vicki, somebody please hear me--please, somebody!--can't anybody hear me?

Burke has his hands around David's arms. What's all this about, Davy? He asks the boy--why did you call me up here? David looks at his father. I'm listening, says Burke. Yes, so am I, says Roger. I don't know how to begin, says David. At the beginning, says Burke--you left a message at the hotel to tell me something urgent about Vicki--what is it you have to tell me? I don't know if I should tell you or not, says David. Why? asks Burke. It's perfectly obvious he has nothing to tell, says Roger, it's just a childish attempt to stir up a little excitement. That's not true, says David resentfully, I do know something--I know something more than anyone else. Burke urges David to calm down and orders Roger to stay out of this--I'm asking the questions. Yes, and in the process waking up half the household, says Roger--I thought you had more intelligence than to listen to this nonsense, Devlin. It's not nonsense! Says David. Let the boy talk, orders Burke. I suppose we might as well, says Roger--it's the only way we'll get rid of you, short of calling the sheriff. All right, Davy, says Burke now come on--what's this about--what are you trying to tell me? If I tell you, will you promise I won't get in any trouble? David asks. What kind of trouble could you get into? Asks Burke. I could go to jail, says David. Roger leans against the banister, arms crossed over his chest. Jail? Asks Roger. He wants me to go to jail, David tells Burke, don't let him send me there, promise you won't! David! says Roger. Let me handle this, says Burke--now Davy, nobody's going to send you to jail, I promise--nobody could send you to jail even if they wanted to--they don't put little boys in jail. (There is reform school.) They don't? asks David. Yes, so you've got nothing to be afraid of, says Burke. Except for being punished, says Roger--little boys can be punished if they've done something wrong. Don't let him punish me, David begs Burke, promise me you won't let him punish me! Collins, I warned you to stay out of this, says Burke, pointing at him with a warning finger--and I meant it. Burke lifts David onto the foyer table. Listen to me, Davy, he says, nobody's going to punish you, I promise--word of honor!--now tell me. All right, says David, I called you here because the ghosts wanted me to. The ghosts? asks Burke. Oh, so that's what it's all about, says Roger, we've been dragged out of our beds in the middle of the night so my charming son can give an imaginary account of seeing a ghost. It wasn't imaginary, says David--I did see a ghost--the ghost of Mr. Malloy!--you believe me, don't you, Burke? But Burke has turned away, obviously agreeing with Roger, but he assures David he does believe him. No you don't, says David, banging his hands on his knees, I can tell, but I did see it, it stood right over there, and it talked to me! What did it say, boo? Asks Roger.
No, it told me to help Miss Winters, David tells them. How could you help Vicki? asks Burke. I know where she is, says David. Where? asks Burke anxiously, taking hold of his arms again. With Matthew, says David--but I'm sure he wouldn't hurt her--I'm SURE he wouldn't. Burke gazes at him, alarmed.

Matthew is in a tool shed, staring at an ax.

Vicki continues to call for help, over and over. Out in the drawing room, Josette's portrait glows, and her ghost appears from the portrait and steps down.

Matthew hones the ax, making the blade nice and sharp.
Vicki sobs. Josette's ghost appears to her. Don't cry, she tells Vicki. Who are you? Vicki asks her--you look like... I am Josette Collins, says the ghost, her voice echoing. But you can't be! says Vicki--I can't believe it. Don't be afraid, the ghost says. Has David told someone about me? pleads Vicki--are they coming to get me? Don't be afraid, don't, the ghost says, fading into the brickwork. Please tell me why you say that, begs Vicki--please tell me!--please, please!? But the ghost is gone.

Burke gives David a little shake. How do you know she's with Matthew? he demands--how? I just know, says David. Perhaps he saw it in his crystal ball, suggests Roger. I didn't, says David, I saw and talked to Miss Winters. Davy, where is she? asks Burke, his eyes wild. You're hurting my arm, complains David. I'm sorry, says Burke, releasing him, but answer my question--just answer my question! David doesn't reply. David, please, tell em where Vicki is! says Burke--I don't want you to explain anything, just tell me where to find Vicki! I want to explain, insists David, I want you to know why I did what I did! All right, says Burke, taking his hands, explain. I was helping Matthew, admits David. You WHAT? asks Roger. I didn't know I was doing anything wrong, says David, I thought Matthew was innocent!--I thought he was my friend--it isn't wrong to hurt a friend, is it, Burke?--and he takes his hands in his. No, it isn't wrong, Burke assures him. How are you helping Matthew? asks Roger. By bringing him food and helping him hide, confesses David. Where is he hiding? Asks Burke anxiously. If I tell you, says David, will you promise me I won't get in any trouble. I already did that, says Burke, spreading his hands impatiently. I just want to make sure you mean it, says David. I mean it, Davy, please! says Burke, I never went back on my word to you, did I? No, says David. You can trust me, says Burke. I guess I can, says David. Where is he? asks Burke. At the Old House, says David. (FINALLY!) The Old House? asks Burke. That's ridiculous! says Roger--the sheriff has searched there a dozen times and they haven't found her! I searched there, too, says Burke, and I didn't find a single thing. That's because you don't know where to look, insists David--you don't know the secret of the house--he's been hiding there ever since he disappeared--nobody knows about the secret but Matthew or I--that's where he's been hiding Miss Winters. The two men look at him.

Matthew, sharpened ax in hands, returns to the Old House.

Matthew enters the Old House. Who is it? calls Vicki--Matthew? He opens the shelf. Seeing the ax, Vicki cries, "Matthew, no! Matthew, I just saw a ghost, I saw the ghost of Josette Collins!"

I've lived in Collinwood all my life, says Roger, and I've never heard of a secret room in that old house. Just the same, it's there, says David. Where? asks Burke. Take me there, and I'll show you, says David, jumping from the table. No, says Burke, I'm not going to take you, it's too dangerous. Otherwise, you're not going to be able to get in, says David. I'm not gonna argue with you--tell me where the room is. it's in the living room, says David, behind a row of bookshelves. How do you open it? asks Burke, squeezing David's arms in his fear for Vicki, his voice harsh. Don't look at that way, you never looked at me that way before, says David. Answer my question! Commands Burke. Underneath the second row of shelves, says David, behind the books on the left, there's a lever, and you pull it forward. Roger wanders away, disgusted. Get me one of your shotguns, Burke tells him. Do you believe that nonsense? Roger asks disparagingly. I've got to believe the boy, says Burke, he might be telling the truth. I AM! says David, stamping his foot. But you don't know him as well as I do, says Roger, he's a congenital liar (apple/tree). Suppose the boy is lying, says Burke. I'm not, says David. There might be one chance in a million that he's not, and if you prevent me from going up there to find Vicki with a gun in my hand, the responsibility is going to be on your shoulders, don't forget it. I suppose you're right, says Roger, I'll get two guns, I'm going with you. He goes through the kitchen door. Burke paces.

When did ya see this ghost? Matthew asks Vicki. A minute ago, she replies, just before you came in here. What did it want? he asks. I think it wanted to help me, she says. Why do you think that? he asks. It told me to stop crying, it told me not to be afraid, says Vicki--don't you see what that means?--it means the ghosts are friendly to me, they don't want me to die! No! he says--they do! Then why did Josette tell me not to be afraid? Asks Vicki--it's because they don't want you to kill me!--if you do, they'll come back and haunt you, and they won't be satisfied until you're dead, too! Matthew thinks about this, but holds onto the ax anyway.

Foyer - We find ourselves looking down the barrels of two rifles held by Roger and Burke Burke asks Roger if it's loaded. No, I have the shells in my pocket, says Roger. Give me them, says Burke--we're not gonna have to stop and take time to load when we get out there--I won't shoot, you, Collins; however, I've thought about it quite a bit. Roger loads his gun. Take my with you, David begs Burke. No, I said no, Davy, you're going to stay here, insists Burke. Are you mad at me? asks David plaintively No, says Burke brusquely, then asks Roger, "You ready?" Come on, let's go, says Roger. David sits down on the first step, head in hands, looking like the saddest child in the world.

Matthew, listen to me! says Vicki, making a last-ditch effort to save herself--the ghosts don't want me to die!--they'll turn against you if you kill me! How do I know ya even saw a ghost? asks Matthew. I did! says Vicki. You could be lyin' to me, and I think ya are, says Matthew. I wouldn't lie about a thing like that! wails Vicki. Smiling cruelly, he says, "You're just tryin' to stop me from killin ya, too bad, Miss Winters, I'm onto your game!" I'm not lying! screeches Vicki, I'm not! I don't believe ya! he says, ghosts want ya dead!--so do I!--I'll kill ya right now--and he takes down the ax and comes toward her as Vicki screams helplessly.
He's about to bury the ax in Vicki's skull when he hears Josette's echoing voice: Matthew! Who is it? demands Matthew--did ya hear it? he asks Vicki, and grabs hold of her hair, jerking her head up--did you hear the voices, answer me!! No, she says. You're lying, he says, you did hear 'em! He again raises the ax and Josette calls to him, over and over, repeating his name: Matthew! STOP! Shouts Matthew--somethin' in this house, somethin' or somebody--whatever it is, it ain't gonna leave this place alive! And he goes out into the drawing room, stalking his prey. Who's there! he yells. Where are ya? "What can you do with a drunken sailor?" sings Bill Malloy's ghost, appearing before Matthew, "What can you do with a drunken sailor?" Why won't you let me be? moans Matthew, his back pressed against the mantle. What can you do with a drunken sailor earlie in the morning?" finishes Malloy's ghost. What do ya want from me? asks Matthew, nose to nose with the ghost. Your life, says Malloy's apparition. No, no, no! roars Matthew, hacking through the ghost, to no avail. Malloy laughs at his efforts and backs away.
Other ghost join him--four widows. Matthew, says one of them, your life!--your life clamor the others, over and over. What do you want? demands Matthew, walking right through the spirits, hacking into air--no!--no, you'll never get me. YOUR LIFE! the ghosts moan, all five of them coming toward Matthew at once. STAY AWAY! he commands them, stay away! YOUR LIFE, YOUR LIFE! they call, engulfing him. Inside the secret room, Vicki hears Matthew yelling, "I tell ya to stay away from me!--no, no, nooooo!" Then there is silence. Matthew? calls Vicki?--Matthew?--what's happening? Burke calls her name--Vicki! Oh, Burke, is that you? The men enter the drawing room, and Roger asks, "Where are you? I'm in here! Vicki yells, and seconds later, they're in the secret room with her. Burke kneels, holding her face in his hands. Are you all right, you OK? he asks anxiously, pushing her hair away from her face. She nods. David was right after all, says Roger. Did David tell you where I am? asks Vicki. Yes, says Roger, but I didn't believe him. He hands Burke a knife to cut Vicki's bonds. Where's Matthew? asks Burke. Be careful of Matthew, warns Vicki--he's somewhere around--he's got an ax!
Burke kneels in front of Vicki again, asking if she's OK--can you walk?--do you want me to carry you? She nods, assuring him she's all right and can walk on her own. We're armed, says Burke, helping her to her feet, don't you worry about a thing. They lead Vicki out into the drawing room, where Matthew sits slumped over in a chair. Look! says Roger. Vicki cries out. Don't move or we'll shoot, says Burke, as both men train their rifles on Matthew. Nobody's going to hurt you, Roger assures the former handyman--come on--he touches him, and Matthew falls off the chair to the floor. Vicki cries out again, gasping with fear. He's dead! says Roger in disbelief. Let's get out of here, says Burke, and the three of them exit the house. Matthew lies on the floor amidst the rubble, and how he died--and the agonies he suffered as he did, we can only imagine.

NOTES: We had Malloy's ghost appear in the first ep, Josette's and Malloy's in the second--along with a slew of extra ghosts, presumably the widows. Lucky for Vicki, all of them were on her side, and intervened when Matthew, his mind totally unhinged, was going to kill her. It made for an exciting and overwhelmingly exciting and supernatural episode. My only beef is, did they have to allow her to be put through all these days of torture and terror before coming to her aid?

Roger and Burke, working together to save Vicki. At least they managed to have one common goal. It's apparent, too, that Burke is crazy about Vicki, far more than he will ever be about Carolyn.

David was so touching here. He was terrified to admit the truth to save his own hide, but under Burke's careful, loving (albeit impatient) questioning, he finally admitted all. And didn't it drive you crazy that it took so long to drag it out of the kid? It did me!

Thayer David's final performance was amazing. We won't be seeing him again for quite a while, as he sits out the entire Laura story arc, but he will reappear as Ben Stokes when we hit 1795. He was so good here, loopy and scary in one fell swoop. Didn't the writer (Ron Sproat) keep you guessing and hoping when Matthew mistook Vicki for Liz?

And as for all those ghosts, wow! Talk about pulling out all the supernatural stops! The way they made the voices of the ghosts waver and echo was really well done, and hearing old Bill sing his favorite song was chilling and fun.

Love, Robin